What FS security products does its browser extension interact with?

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I think I know the answer to this, but will ask since I think the FS explanation is somewhat vague, eg, "Browsing Protection is an extension that provides HTTPS protocol support for the installed security products by F-Secure." ESET is my current av, and I am currently running Freedome vpn, which is a FS "security product" but am I correct that FS browser ext adds nothing, is not needed, for Freedome? Since FS has a few security products, it might have been MORE helpful to clearly list which "security products" the browser extension assists. I do have SAFE on another machine, like it, like Freedome.
EDIT I think extension speaks for itself, ie, it has a red flag meaning "can't connect to application" -- so it must be looking for SAFE, and SAFE not installed here. I'll leave it installed but turn it off.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
When i use F-secure i never use the browser extension (found it slows down websurfing/loading pages) but normally it should improve detections....

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When i use F-secure i never use the browser extension (found it slows down websurfing/loading pages)
Thanks, good to know, although I have found Freedome vpn has actually speeded up web browsing and email client. I think browser extension does something beneficial with online banking, but?? I do have SAFE & browser extension on another machine.

Reactions: show-Zi

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
EDIT I think extension speaks for itself, ie, it has a red flag meaning "can't connect to application" -- so it must be looking for SAFE, and SAFE not installed here. I'll leave it installed but turn it off.
A question because I'm unsure why you leave it installed in your browser/s if you don't have SAFE installed on the same machine/system? :unsure:

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Its been a while , maybe i try it again with F-secure Safe (have a 3 year lic) ;) now using Avira free security (but find the avira BB is coming slow to action)

Edit : Installed F-secure Safe again with browser extension enabled, seems improved !

Last edited:
Reactions: show-Zi

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
A question because I'm unsure why you leave it installed in your browser/s if you don't have SAFE installed on the same machine/system? :unsure:
Once installed, 1) just too lazy to remove it, it's not running, what's the harm, 2) I'm liking F-Secure products, so I expect to install SAFE on this machine in foreseeable future, 3) doing more important things...:coffee: But you're right, I'll remove it later tonight. Thanks for reminding me. PS Freedome is best experience. Thanks!!!:D
EDIT so I went to remove FS browser extension since I'm not running SAFE on this pc & I already had (I forgot!) :whistle:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Aha that makes sense. Lazy, who ain't. 😅

Normally SAFE should remind you about the extension. Glad to hear the VPN Freedome seems to work for you well enough.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.