What happened to AVIRA, F-Secure and Trend Micro..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semprul

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 6, 2015
Hello MalwareTips fans, recently i want to buy F-Secure Internet Security license for my uncle but after i install the trial version, there's no F-Secure proprietary firewall so i ditched it then i install Trend Micro IS and there's no firewall too, it only provides Firewall Booster (add on for windows firewall) and last i Install AVIRA IS and same as F-Secure and Trend Micro, AVIRA IS doesn't have it's proprietary firewall either.....the questions are, why those vendors dropped their supports for their proprietary firewall and choose to piggyback on Windows Firewall (WF) in their internet security products...??? I'm so confused because if many members of this forum said that ZoneAlarm, Comodo Firewall and Online Armor are waaayyy better than WF, but why heavyweight companies like AVIRA, F-Secure, and Trend Micro dropped their proprietary firewall and use WF as one of the parts of their IS products...???

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
they consider windows firewall good enough for home users.
The firewall that they built had some performance issues. so they dropped it.

Still if you want more control on outgoing traffic then you can use comodo, online armor

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Because there is no need to waste additional resources on something that can already be done with windows firewall. Windows firewall from windows 7 onwards is already very good at blocking inbound attacks. Their firewall boosters are meant to complement the windows firewall by controlling outbound traffic and block exploits. When windows firewall and their firewall boosters are combined, they are equivalent to other proprietary firewalls like zonealarm etc.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Semprul. I have wondered similarly as you, and in doing so I've come to compare companies' so called 'forward thinking' to my own 'experience' here on MalwareTips.
Comodo, Online Armor, & Privatefirewall, were all I'd been advised of, & considered for our Windows XP System whose firewall was in sore need of replacement. Avira Free was (& still is) the installed AV to which I chose Privatefirewall which served very well until XP entered retirement. Skip ahead now to the Windows 7 SP 1 & Windows 8.1 systems respectively that have taken the old XP's place. In most every query and tip I'd received (particularly concerning our then new Windows 8 system, before it's upgrade to 8.1) staff members, and knowledgeable members who still know more than I do had assured me that Windows Firewall was enough. My point, and this is just my humble observation, is that companies might have been basing their decisions in just the same way; and that is as far as their ending efforts to continue developing an excellent firewall (one such as Emsisoft's Online Armor that's:eek: ending development:confused:).
Well, as I look around, I see other comments have already gotten to the point I was driving at.:rolleyes: Sometimes, better products are no longer worth putting out by their manufacturers (developers)o_O and as sad and incomprehensible as this sounds & is, it's also the Darwinian theory we see all around us in the form of mass production and profit moving quality and a superior product out of the way in order to plow the mega fields of profit in a sadly corporate minded world.:oops::(
I'm glad you've brought this subject up for discussion. Let's hope there will always be enough quality (including continuing some good firewall development) for at least as long as we live, and to have it carry over for our children, and for our children's children. We can hope,:) and we can make a difference.:D

Last edited:

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
"Why heavyweight companies like AVIRA, F-Secure, and Trend Micro dropped their proprietary firewall and use WF as one of the parts of their IS products...???"

Because Windows Firewall is good enough

Reactions: scot and Ink

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Having a developed firewall software needs a tough development process alongside of having drivers as likely routine/library, since the basic concept is by monitoring and blocking the connections either incoming or outgoing then its likely a same apart from Windows Firewall if developed another version of their own which likely users tends to confuse on more complex configuration.

Reactions: yongsua and scot

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
My point, and this is just my humble observation, is that companies might have been basing their decisions in just the same way; and that is as far as their ending efforts to continue developing an excellent firewall (one such as Emsisoft's Online Armor that's:eek: ending development:confused:).
The Emsisoft folks have said that they are deciding Online Armor's fate by evaluating the number of users and sales since the release of EIS. So there are no official announcements yet.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
not all popular security companies dropped their firewall, mcafee and fortinet are developing their "next generation firewall".
however, "next generation firewall" seems to facilitate enterprise/business grade standard.

Semprul

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 6, 2015
Hello MalwareTips fans, recently i want to buy F-Secure Internet Security license for my uncle but after i install the trial version, there's no F-Secure proprietary firewall so i ditched it then i install Trend Micro IS and there's no firewall too, it only provides Firewall Booster (add on for windows firewall) and last i Install AVIRA IS and same as F-Secure and Trend Micro, AVIRA IS doesn't have it's proprietary firewall either.....the questions are, why those vendors dropped their supports for their proprietary firewall and choose to piggyback on Windows Firewall (WF) in their internet security products...??? I'm so confused because if many members of this forum said that ZoneAlarm, Comodo Firewall and Online Armor are waaayyy better than WF, but why heavyweight companies like AVIRA, F-Secure, and Trend Micro dropped their proprietary firewall and use WF as one of the parts of their IS products...???

Hey guys, i've been sending a complaint about this problem to AVIRA and last night i received an email from AVIRA. The email stated that i can use Internet Security (Antivirus Pro + Avira's proprietary firewall instead of WF) but i had to downgraded to version 14, the email stated that version 14 is windows 8 and 8.1 compatible certified

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture4.PNG

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you @Semprul for sharing this. It sounds promising!:) Keep us posted here, your configuration, or perhaps both.;)
It may prove worthwhile to delve further, exploring similarly into similar options with other AVs as well!:D

Reactions: Semprul

Semprul

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 6, 2015
Thank you @Semprul for sharing this. It sounds promising!:) Keep us posted here, your configuration, or perhaps both.;)
It may prove worthwhile to delve further, exploring similarly into similar options with other AVs as well!:D

You're welcome.....i'm glad to help and share the info to you and other members......;)

Reactions: Billcomputerman123
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.