Advice Request What is a good anti-exploit software for Windows 7?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I need a good anti-exploit software for my Windows 7. I have considered the following 4 options-
EMET
HitmanPro.Alert
OSArmor
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.
Among these 4 which one do you think will provide me with the best protection from exploits.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well you can use beta version of malwarebytes anti-exploit for free

This is a good free choice. I see more W7 users posting on this over @ Wilders.

@Arequire is correct.

@bribon77 points to the best choice if you're going to pay.

I see you're currently using ESET with custom settings. That should be enough without adding anything extra. If you're thinking of discontinuing ESET, I would post over at Wilders too.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
EMET has worked well for me for years on one system. The settings were difficult to work with initially, and I haven't had time to really dig into which processes that I would like to protect other than windows ones, office, and browsers. I also included java and flash, which happens to be on the system.

As mentioned by @Arequire, it is out of support, so there are probably 100 unfixed vulnerabilities. Too bad it is a promising idea

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I was an EMET user with very first Windows 10 version. :emoji_ok_hand: Anyway, I was curious so I looked this up, because in the Configurator, OSArmor has an Anti-Exploit tab. It doesn't go into a lot of detail but there was a little explanation here if anyone is interested. But, from personal experience, HitmanPro.Alert was the bomb when it came to blocking exploits in the bud, as in Adobe flash player. I can only afford its little offspring, HitmanPro, at this time, though. :unsure: HMP.Alert would cost 34.95 USD if I was to buy it off the website now which is more than quite a few subscription antivirus packages. :whistle: It would cost me more than Emsisoft anti-malware which I actually paired w/ HMP.A a few years ago before that combo totally borked my computer.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
This is a good free choice. I see more W7 users posting on this over @ Wilders.

@Arequire is correct.

@bribon77 points to the best choice if you're going to pay.

I see you're currently using ESET with custom settings. That should be enough without adding anything extra. If you're thinking of discontinuing ESET, I would post over at Wilders too.
I'll continue using ESET since it's an extremely effective yet lightweight suite. I was just thinking of adding a companion anti exploit and a companion anti ransomware tool since I haven't seen ESET anti exploit or ESET anti ransomware in action.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Windows 10. Updating to the latest OS is fixing at least 95% of the exploits in Windows 7, an operating system from 2009!
I TERRIBLY hate that crap OS Microsoft has put out. It may be more secure but there are a lot of issues regarding borked updates. I tried it once and lo and behold within a week I was back to windows 7. Furthermore I'm not sending you my personal information Microsoft do you hear :emoji_expressionless:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I'll continue using ESET since it's an extremely effective yet lightweight suite. I was just thinking of adding a companion anti exploit and a companion anti ransomware tool since I haven't seen ESET anti exploit or ESET anti ransomware in action.
Voodoshield can help in both exploits and Ransomware ,really good addition ,if you have not tried it .

Reactions: oldschool
L

Local Host

From the options you provided, I would go with HitmanPro.
I TERRIBLY hate that crap OS Microsoft has put out. It may be more secure but there are a lot of issues regarding borked updates. I tried it once and lo and behold within a week I was back to windows 7. Furthermore I'm not sending you my personal information Microsoft do you hear :emoji_expressionless:
Is useless to turn this into a discussion between Windows 7 and Windows 10, especially with the narrow viewset of a Windows 7 User. Plus there's no personal data being sent on Windows 10, there's a huge difference between personal data and telemetry data.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.