Advice Request What is a good anti-exploit software for Windows 7?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
From the options you provided, I would go with HitmanPro.

Is useless to turn this into a discussion between Windows 7 and Windows 10, especially with the narrow viewset of a Windows 7 User. Plus there's no personal data being sent on Windows 10, there's a huge difference between personal data and telemetry data.
I'm sorry but what I meant is that Windows 10 has much more privacy issues than Windows 10. Windows 7 is a no nonsense OS. It also has the cool AERO interface.:cool:

Reactions: Kuttz and OhioRebel

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Currently trying out Malwarebytes anti exploit and Malwarebytes anti ransomware. I have noticed that there is no exploit shield for Chrome. I have to add Chrome manually to MBAE.

Reactions: oldschool

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Currently trying out Malwarebytes anti exploit and Malwarebytes anti ransomware. I have noticed that there is no exploit shield for Chrome. I have to add Chrome manually to MBAE.

Check the below

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I need a good anti-exploit software for my Windows 7. I have considered the following 4 options-
EMET
HitmanPro.Alert
OSArmor
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.
Among these 4 which one do you think will provide me with the best protection from exploits.
Allow me to ask: why do you need a good anti-exploit software?
Allow me to guess the answer: because you don't want your computer to get infected.

The best way to protect your computer from infection is not with an anti-exploit program, because none of them have a high enough success rate. It's always hit-and-miss.
You are much better off with one of the other programs that people suggested, such as Voodooshield or Comodo firewall. You will have a dramatically higher protection rate.
On Windows 7, you could also use NVT EXE Radar Pro 3. You can take the last beta of version 3, and tweak it a little (for example, add mshta to the vuln list). It's quite reliable.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Allow me to ask: why do you need a good anti-exploit software?
Allow me to guess the answer: because you don't want your computer to get infected.

The best way to protect your computer from infection is not with an anti-exploit program, because none of them have a high enough success rate. It's always hit-and-miss.
You are much better off with one of the other programs that people suggested, such as Voodooshield or Comodo firewall. You will have a dramatically higher protection rate.
On Windows 7, you could also use NVT EXE Radar Pro 3. You can take the last beta of version 3, and tweak it a little (for example, add mshta to the vuln list). It's quite reliable.
I don't require ERP or VS since I have custom ESET HIPS rules set up. I was just interested in a standalone anti exploit since I don't know how effective is ESET antiexploit. But after reading all these replies I'll just let it pass. Since I'm a careful user and update regularly ESET should be enough for me. ATM trying out MBAR. It seems to be running smoothly with ESET.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't require ERP or VS since I have custom ESET HIPS rules set up. I was just interested in a standalone anti exploit since I don't know how effective is ESET antiexploit. But after reading all these replies I'll just let it pass. Since I'm a careful user and update regularly ESET should be enough for me. ATM trying out MBAR. It seems to be running smoothly with ESET.
Thanks for the explanation. If you have a good HIPS setup, that's a different story.

Modern browsers such as Chrome and Firefox don't really need anti-exploit, and it won't help for today's in-browser exploits. What they do need is a good add-on to handle third-party scripts, such as NoScript or uMatrix.

If you are concerned about exploit of MS Office applications, and this is a very valid concern, EMET is probably effective on Windows 7, although the "anti-document exploit" feature of Hard_Configurator might be even better. Maybe @Andy Ful has something to say about it.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks for the explanation. If you have a good HIPS setup, that's a different story.

Modern browsers such as Chrome and Firefox don't really need anti-exploit, and it won't help for today's in-browser exploits. What they do need is a good add-on to handle third-party scripts, such as NoScript or uMatrix.

If you are concerned about exploit of MS Office applications, and this is a very valid concern, EMET is probably effective on Windows 7, although the "anti-document exploit" feature of Hard_Configurator might be even better. Maybe @Andy Ful has something to say about it.
I don't use MS Office or Adobe Reader. I use Sumatra PDF and Libre Office. :) I try to avoid applications that have known vulnerabilities. With that said I should not be using Windows then but since I play games I don't have any choice I guess. :p

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Actual hardware issues or privacy excuses?
Privacy issues aside I also have hardware issues. 10 just doesn't feel as smooth as 7 not to mention MS forcing automatic updates. After bootup sometimes 10 spikes up CPU at 100% and disk activity at 100%. In a nutshell 10 never feels smooth and stable like 7.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I remember a user over at Wilders mentioning that when he upgrades he needs to leave the computer alone for it to do some background task.

So, even when the upgrade/update is finished perhaps there are stuff the OS needs to do. This could be the cause of the high CPU

Reactions: oldschool

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I'll continue using ESET since it's an extremely effective yet lightweight suite. I was just thinking of adding a companion anti exploit and a companion anti ransomware tool since I haven't seen ESET anti exploit or ESET anti ransomware in action.
But that's an Antirasomware, not an Antiexploit. :giggle:
That is personally what I use. It has anti ransomware and anti-exploit too, I'm really happy with it aswell.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.