Q&A What is difference between avira pro and free?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Nov 26, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Hi,
The malware protection for the realtime and on-demand scanner is the same, also the APC module. The difference is the official support, faster update interval and web / mail protection exclusively for the paid version.
What about the new Sensor Detection in your latest version? Only Pro version?

davisd

Level 10
Feb 2, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Panda
The difference is the official support, faster update interval and web / mail protection exclusively for the paid version.
Free version have unofficial support? :ROFLMAO: Users should be able to set update interval no matter paid or free. Basically install Avira Free & Avira Browser Safety addon for browser and there's no need to pay for Pro, save +/- 25eur. Seriously, I don't know why would anyone even consider paying..

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 32
Content Creator
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
Free version have unofficial support? :ROFLMAO: Users should be able to set update interval no matter paid or free. Basically install Avira Free & Avira Browser Safety and there's no need to pay for Pro.
I also noticed Avira pro's web shield is also a component of APC.
Tested with the same malware pack on MT hub . at 11am, I tested avira pro -> it blocked most of the samples using APC
at 6pm in the same day, I tested avira free, fully updated -> it missed many samples and the system was encrypted by a ransomware
I posted the same message in may and this is the reply from avira support
Video Review - Avira Free Antivirus vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz

davisd

Level 10
Feb 2, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Panda
I also noticed Avira pro's web shield is also a component of APC.
Tested with the same malware pack on MT hub . at 11am, I tested avira pro -> it blocked most of the samples using APC
at 6pm in the same day, I tested avira free, fully updated -> it missed many samples and the system was encrypted by a ransomware
I posted the same message in may and this is the reply from avira support
Video Review - Avira Free Antivirus vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz
IF there really is that much difference, then someone should parallely test Free and Pro in VM at the same time. Based on Avira support replies, protection in Free are same as Pro. Then It might not be entirely true statement by them, based on malware testing results. I haven't tried Free version, but I am having a hard time to infect VM with Avira Pro installed and samples from hybrid-analysis.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 32
Content Creator
Verified
AV-Tester
Apr 18, 2016
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Installed Antivirus
Avast
IF there really is that much difference, then someone should parallely test Free and Pro in VM at the same time. Based on Avira support replies, protection in Free are same as Pro. Then It might not be entirely true statement by them, based on malware testing results.
it's better if someone volunteers to do that
I really want to but I don't have enough resource to do
avira free/pro on a VM, during the initial update made my VM completely unusable, I couldn't even see the desktop. Huge resource usage by avira, which I never see in other AVs, beside bitdefender but it was still better than avira
in other to test avira free and pro side-by-side, we need at least 10-12GB of RAM and an SSD to make it smoothly. I don't have both

Spawn

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Microsoft