Advice Request What is difference between avira pro and free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
Hi,
The malware protection for the realtime and on-demand scanner is the same, also the APC module. The difference is the official support, faster update interval and web / mail protection exclusively for the paid version.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Hi,
The malware protection for the realtime and on-demand scanner is the same, also the APC module. The difference is the official support, faster update interval and web / mail protection exclusively for the paid version.

What about the new Sensor Detection in your latest version? Only Pro version?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

The difference is the official support, faster update interval and web / mail protection exclusively for the paid version.
Free version have unofficial support? :ROFLMAO: Users should be able to set update interval no matter paid or free. Basically install Avira Free & Avira Browser Safety addon for browser and there's no need to pay for Pro, save +/- 25eur. Seriously, I don't know why would anyone even consider paying..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HunterKhajiit

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Free version have unofficial support? :ROFLMAO: Users should be able to set update interval no matter paid or free. Basically install Avira Free & Avira Browser Safety and there's no need to pay for Pro.
I also noticed Avira pro's web shield is also a component of APC.
Tested with the same malware pack on MT hub . at 11am, I tested avira pro -> it blocked most of the samples using APC
at 6pm in the same day, I tested avira free, fully updated -> it missed many samples and the system was encrypted by a ransomware
I posted the same message in may and this is the reply from avira support
Video Review - Avira Free Antivirus vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I also noticed Avira pro's web shield is also a component of APC.
Tested with the same malware pack on MT hub . at 11am, I tested avira pro -> it blocked most of the samples using APC
at 6pm in the same day, I tested avira free, fully updated -> it missed many samples and the system was encrypted by a ransomware
I posted the same message in may and this is the reply from avira support
Video Review - Avira Free Antivirus vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz
IF there really is that much difference, then someone should parallely test Free and Pro in VM at the same time. Based on Avira support replies, protection in Free are same as Pro. Then It might not be entirely true statement by them, based on malware testing results. I haven't tried Free version, but I am having a hard time to infect VM with Avira Pro installed and samples from hybrid-analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
IF there really is that much difference, then someone should parallely test Free and Pro in VM at the same time. Based on Avira support replies, protection in Free are same as Pro. Then It might not be entirely true statement by them, based on malware testing results.
it's better if someone volunteers to do that
I really want to but I don't have enough resource to do
avira free/pro on a VM, during the initial update made my VM completely unusable, I couldn't even see the desktop. Huge resource usage by avira, which I never see in other AVs, beside bitdefender but it was still better than avira
in other to test avira free and pro side-by-side, we need at least 10-12GB of RAM and an SSD to make it smoothly. I don't have both

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't forget No Ads.

Screenshot-2018-1-25 Download Free Antivirus for Windows 2018 Avira.png

Windows Firewall - Used in Free and Pro.
Web Protection - Settings
upload_2018-1-25_18-33-48.png

Download Free Antivirus (Avoid the Free Security Suite!)
References:
  1. Download Free Antivirus for Windows 2018 | Avira
  2. Download Antivirus Pro 2018 for Windows, Mac & Android | Avira

RatPaws

Oct 8, 2018
Where and when are the ads displayed? Will they have an impact on me if I'm hardly ever in front of my PC?

Thanks.
R.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Where and when are the ads displayed? Will they have an impact on me if I'm hardly ever in front of my PC?

Thanks.
R.

From what did remember when using Avira a long , long , long time ago ads where displayed after each update. I do not know what the frequency is now at the moment. there is one little nifty tool which can disable the ads in Avira free , which can be found and downloaded here ;

BGPKiller - Home Page

E

Eddie Morra

Will they have an impact on me if I'm hardly ever in front of my PC?
Slim chance. I recon the ads are from Avira themselves though unlike ones you find on the internet. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.