Serious Discussion What is Smartscreen? (Win8/10)

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

Do you use it ?

• Yes

Votes: 58 87.9%
  • No because...

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Windows 8 includes a SmartScreen filter that prevents unknown and malicious programs from running. SmartScreen is part of Internet Explorer 8 and 9 – with Windows 8, it’s now integrated into the operating system.

SmartScreen is a useful security feature that will help prevent bad applications from running, but it may occasionally prevent a legitimate application from running. SmartScreen reports some information to Microsoft, so it may have some privacy implications.

read more:

HTG Explains: How the SmartScreen Filter Works in Windows 8

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I don't use IE but I activated that for the app of windows store.

Maybe it is smartscreen that prevent apple to download updates for iCloud for windows ??

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I don't use IE but I activated that for the app of windows store.

Maybe it is smartscreen that prevent apple to download updates for iCloud for windows ??
As far as I'm aware this is not the case. At least I have no problem on w8.1 and I have ss enabled

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi! Does smartscreen check the download in every folders?
If yes , shouldn't it stops every ransomware ? In some YT video ( even here )I noticed SM pop up

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi! Does smartscreen check the download in every folders?
If yes , shouldn't it stops every ransomware ? In some YT video ( even here )I noticed SM pop up
yes it is system wide (at least on win8/10), it will ignore the file in some cases ( like FAT removable devices, etc...)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
if you download exes deemed as legitimate and safe , you won't see it. now disconnect internet and you will see it. since smartscreen is a cloud-like reputation feature.

Thanks. But with other protection software in my system I doubt smartscreen has a chance show itself

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought Smartscreen was now a function in Windows itself not just the browser???
on windows8/10, yes.

"For Windows 10, Microsoft further developed the SmartScreen Filter by integrating its app reputation abilities into the operating system itself, which allows the filter to protect users regardless of the web browser they are using or the path that the app uses to arrive on the device (for example, email, USB flash drive). The first time a user runs an app that originates from the Internet, even if the user copied it from another PC, the SmartScreen Filter checks the reputation of the application by using digital signatures and other factors against a service that Microsoft maintains. If the app lacks a reputation or is known to be malicious, the SmartScreen Filter warns the user or blocks execution entirely, depending on how the administrator has configured Group Policy (see Figure 7)."

Windows 10 security overview (Windows 10)

Edge , safest browser:

Microsoft Edge Tops Browser Protection Tests | SecurityWeek.Com

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
My SmartScreen Filter sometimes block when I try to update Foobar 2000 among others, and I only got windows 8.1,and I use Google Chrome as default browsero_O

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
You can bypass Windows inbuilt filters for using unsigned/blocked apps by opening cmd with admin rights and typing " to start then file location and name and finish by typing " at the end and you will be able to use/install blocked program. Sometimes when Windows blocks unsigned/blocked apps I know are clean I have to use this method to unlock the file.

Reactions: Andy Ful
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Thank you for the validation Umbra. So SmartScreen Fliter combined with other native security would appear to be a very useful security feature. ;-)
indeed, this feature was never truly understood, because it often works silently or people disable it.

Reactions: ogslimtony
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
My SmartScreen Filter sometimes block when I try to update Foobar 2000 among others, and I only got windows 8.1,and I use Google Chrome as default browsero_O
if the legit apps, doesn't possess a valid and up to date certificate, it may be not whitelisted by MS.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
if you download exes deemed as legitimate and safe , you won't see it. now disconnect internet and you will see it. since smartscreen is a cloud-like reputation feature.
Hi

I just tried. Downloaded AppCheck, switch off my internet, install AppCheck and no action from smartscreen except alerts from CFW.

I supposed AppCheck for now may not even be in MS cloud server as it's a Korean software.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi

I just tried. Downloaded AppCheck, switch off my internet, install AppCheck and no action from smartscreen except alerts from CFW.

I supposed AppCheck may not even be in MS cloud server as it's a Korean software.

sorry i mispelled, i meant if the software isn't whitelisted (hash different from legit one) or haven't a valid certificate or the publisher is unknown; Smartscreen should alert it.

i just did the test with the latest foobar 2000 version, i downloaded it from the site, saved on desktop, disconnected internet; then executed it, smartscreen did alert me.

then i reconnected internet, smartscreen went silent

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.