What is the Best AV with Sandbox Capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I know certain AV are including Sandboxes now.

My question is if I wanted to test a software, and avoid the possibility of installing other softwares bundled with the software's installer, or even malware, what AV would you recommend with a Sandbox that works well?

I am aware of Sandboxie, and ShadowDefender but rather than use separate softwares, I would like to use an AV that has a Sandbox built-in that works well. Of course there is CFW with cruelsister's settings but other than this software, what else would you recommend?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
They don't use the sandbox the same way. Some big AV companies use sandboxing technology as a form of emulation, like ESET.

The only one I can recall the has a sandbox in similar fashion to Sandboxie or Comodo is Webroot. But I have never been able to use it.

...Wait. I just recalled Qihoo also has sandbox, right?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
They don't use the sandbox the same way. Some big AV companies use sandboxing technology as a form of emulation, like ESET.

The only one I can recall the has a sandbox in similar fashion to Sandboxie or Comodo is Webroot. But I have never been able to use it.

...Wait. I just recalled Qihoo also has sandbox, right?
Atleast their site says so, also they use bitdefender/avira engines with their own. Also people is talking qihoo is improved during few weeks and i kinda want to test it out. They just had ads , but you can block them with firewall.

But for free comodo is best you can get

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Atleast their site says so, also they use bitdefender/avira engines with their own. Also people is talking qihoo is improved during few weeks and i kinda want to test it out. They just had ads , but you can block them with firewall.

But for free comodo is best you can get
I'm trying for four days here in 360. The new version does not have many advertisements, but you can block the promoutil at program files with your firewall and you are ok. Qihoo improved the product and is extremly lite

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I'm trying for four days here in 360. The new version does not have many advertisements, but you can block the promoutil at program files with your firewall and you are ok. Qihoo improved the product and is extremly lite
Maybe light, but comodo and avast are still lighter

On topic: qihoo has sandbox

off topic: Delayed signatures, avira & bitdefender engines; avira is just horrible and bitdefender doesnt care about their free users anyways. Also if qihoo would care about free users they wouldnt milk off with ads. I understand if they promote their own software but they do promote games and other stuff that can lead into security problem.

Best idea would just be avast ( bb ) or kaspersky ( system watcher) with comodo firewall (sandbox) since they have great signatures and pushing updates very active. also bugs and problems gets fixed faster

My choise would be comodo internet security, its top tier free product. You can even add immunet with it and have lighter solution than other avs

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013

off topic: Delayed signatures, avira & bitdefender engines; avira is just horrible and bitdefender doesnt care about their free users anyways. Also if qihoo would care about free users they wouldnt milk off with ads. I understand if they promote their own software but they do promote games and other stuff that can lead into security problem.

Best idea would just be avast ( bb ) or kaspersky ( system watcher) with comodo firewall (sandbox) since they have great signatures and pushing updates very active. also bugs and problems gets fixed faster

My choise would be comodo internet security, its top tier free product. You can even add immunet with it and have lighter solution than other avs
In 360TS /TSE sandbox is the vital feature...actually the main for me...that protect vulnerable or needed apps...the AV engines are only the additional layers.
BTW - Qihoo implemented its own sandbox to AV perhaps 4 years ago :)

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Personal opinion and may not be facts below:

To me AV's are just a filter. It's like having a door supervisor on your computer rather then a complete solution, as things can still get through. That being said, nothing is 100% secure. Comodo Firewall has a perfect sandbox for everything, same as Sandboxie for web browsers. VoodooShield deals with the nasty things. And a web browser extension like Norton Web Safe, VTZilla or VTChromiser really makes the web functions of common AVs redundent. Plus adding in Comodo Firewall, Unchecky & OSArmor, there's little CPU usage, no memory leaks & it's a full lockdown approach instead of a filter where things could get through still.

Personally for me Lockdown is the full solution, AVs are just prevention.

~LDogg

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

Is not lighter from 360. Before 5 days unintall avast and install qihoo. Is the most light antivirus at all . Boot time super fast, browsers and aplication open superfast. Maby have not the best signatures but the last month qihoo improvement the product. If you use it with woodooshield is light and very secure. With comodo i am tired. Yes is secure but is heavy. Slow boot, Delaying applications, use cpu and block many secure things. Anyway the best and light antivirus is what you like

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
360 Qihoo ? Don't TRUST Chinese companies as programs...
Sorry...but why?...during years I've used/tested a lot of chinese security app
- products from Filseclab, Kingsoft, Rising, Qihoo, Baidu, IObit
- HIPS/monitor like Malware Defender, NetChina, Real-Time Defender, EQSecure, Micropoint
- LV like VirtualProtect and used ca. 8 years to this time "best of the best" - Shadow Defender
Most of them I liked very much...a lot of them was/are very innovative...what's the reason of your opinion?

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Serious sandbox have only Comodo however if you searching some stand alone you can try
Sandboxie or ReHIPS(sandbox with HIPS)

However more secure than sanbox is full virtualization so go VMware :)

I dont prefer Shadow Defender in this point casue is not limit access beetwen programs/data system access

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
360 Qihoo ? Don't TRUST Chinese companies as programs...

Once I too had such a concept but can you trust the Russians and US ? They are the grandpa of all hacks, spyies, DDOS, Malwares etc China is relatively a teenager in comparison :D So the point is if Chinese products is bad to you so do Russians and US products I don't see any difference in it. My advice is just buy/use those products you love. Simple (y)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
When considering a sandbox it is important to note that only Comodo has auto-sandboxing capability (all others are on-demand only). This is of extreme importance. An example would be if one considers opening up a seemingly valid Office Document (or spreadsheet) that has malicious active content. With applications that have only on-demand functionality one MUST have Word, Excel, etc sandboxed initially to be protected (problematic if one wanted to make changes to the document) whereas with Comodo the Office application does not need to be sandboxed for the malicious active content to be stopped.

The same would be true for any spawn arising from browser sessions (like malware carried by various exploit kits)- the browser need not be sandboxed to be protected from malicious content.

In short, the Comodo sandbox is a much more efficient and elegant solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.