What is the Best AV with Sandbox Capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
@cruelsister despite being efficient, comodo's sandbox is too limited for me, perfect for beginners, not much for tweakers, it lacks customizations.
but what customization u want for a tool to proteck it does what should do and the option are enougth to prevent

Reactions: Weebarra
L

Local Host

that comment it´s like what half world is ataking kaspersky.. bcs they think that country is " dangerous " thats mean all products come from there are malicious..
The difference is there's been hard evidence against Q360, while none against Kaspersky.

But I really don't care, it's not me who's going to use Q360, that why I said nothing (the warning was already given anyway).

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
But if av misses something and it gets throught to voodooshield/cf and is signed with some trusted vendor like ccleaner had symantec in their malware case? Doesnt that mean voodooshield scans those with 63 av engines and comodo with their own only?

On topic: got to see comodos auto sandbox today and its pretty awesome, always used cruels settings but now im running proactive mode to get those popups

D

Deleted member 178

but what customization u want for a tool to proteck it does what should do and the option are enougth to prevent
Maybe enough for you, not for me. I used Comodo for years, not for its sandbox but for its HIPS.

With sandboxie or ReHIPS, i can run 20 different sandboxes at a time, each with their own settings, access rights and privileges.
Comodo cannot do that, comodo's sandbox is a complementary feature, not the main one which was, is and always will be its HIPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
U- I think everyone here will agree that you are in a different class when it comes to computer security and not a novice like me. But for the normal user, CF at my settings will keep a person safe without the typical Coin-Flip questions ("Do You Want To Allow This?") that the user may be presented with. Also, the current version of Comodo- at elevated Containment settings- is almost indistinguishable from an advanced AV (it will stop the malicious cascade and also delete the vector!).

comodo's sandbox is a complementary feature, not the main one which was, is and always will be its HIPS

Oh God- Umbra- you know I love you but here I think to are totally incorrect. With the sandbox active all the HIPS MAY do is to react to what is running in VTRoot. There was a time when the HIPS would add something to Containment, but that time has long since past (and never got my emerald bracelet from M for pointing this out.).

Meghan

D

Deleted member 178

U- I think everyone here will agree that you are in a different class when it comes to computer security and not a novice like me. But for the normal user, CF at my settings will keep a person safe without the typical Coin-Flip questions ("Do You Want To Allow This?") that the user may be presented with.
i agree

Oh God- Umbra- you know I love you but here I think to are totally incorrect. With the sandbox active all the HIPS MAY do is to react to what is running in VTRoot. There was a time when the HIPS would add something to Containment
Because for me Comodo 's HIPS on Paranoid Mode is the only right mode, anything below that is like you said, useless; the sandbox would do equivalent or better job.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Paranoid Mode is indeed the Cat's Meow in terms of protection. However this Mode assumes that the User will know how to correctly answer the multitude of Alerts that will present when opening up even the most innocuous of applications.

Cruelsister Rule #8- A Security Modality that alerts to Everything actually Alerts to Nothing.

E

Eddie Morra

Dont be biased.
Qihoo engineers though... they are on another level of smart, and I mean that in only a good way. The owners of Qihoo who are involved with the engineering are the extreme of the extreme.

Anyone who has seen the contribution Qihoo has provided to the community in terms of vulnerability research and exploitation to help software like Google Chrome and general sandboxing/VM software mature in security would know this and wouldn't need to give it a second thought.

I don't agree with Chinese laws and do not like how they operate in regards to things like censorship, so I'll never be able to stomach using Chinese software. However, that doesn't mean everyone else should be paranoid about it. If you like China and agree with how things are working, then Qihoo is totally sufficient and has a huge lot to offer you in regards to securing your environment.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
The difference is there's been hard evidence against Q360, while none against Kaspersky.

But I really don't care, it's not me who's going to use Q360, that why I said nothing (the warning was already given anyway).

If I was paranoid, I'd rather not trust companies/software's from the US (Microsoft, Google) than those from China.

Gladly, am not :D

Getting back on-topic, Qihoo had a decent sandbox during the time I used it in the past. Comodo would be a better choice.

My question is if I wanted to test a software, and avoid the possibility of installing other softwares bundled with the software's installer, or even malware, what AV would you recommend with a Sandbox that works well?

I am aware of Sandboxie, and ShadowDefender but rather than use separate softwares, I would like to use an AV that has a Sandbox built-in that works well. Of course there is CFW with cruelsister's settings but other than this software, what else would you recommend?

Why is bundled software even an issue ? What is the rationale here ? Doing high risk stuff ?

Even if you run unknown stuff in a sandbox, what do you expect it to do for you ? Unless it is patently obvious that what ran in a virtual environment is unwanted, you're going to think it is safe, run it on your system, end up infected, and then blame it on the soft(s).

Not to mention there are softs that can detect virtual environments and will remain dormant until executed on the real system.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Idiot Question of The Day:

Not really to do with Sandboxing, more to do with Comodo. OK, I've used Comodo firewall in the past but never any of the AV bits. I've given Comodo AV a try on a laptop (my wife's actually) and it is snappier than with Kaspersky that was on. My questions are: Do I need the 'Internet Security Essentials' & 'Internet Security Premium' at the same time, as they are separate programs?- I've also installed the firewall. Will this combination give decent protection on it's own? As compared to Kaspersky etc? I'm giving it a try as I help a few people I work with to keep their PC's going & I wonder if the above will give decent protection to these people?? Thanks ... Paul :)

Reactions: oldschool
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Is this thread serious? You really ask for problems by using Comodo products, sooner or later you will encounter some annoyance wich you will not be willing to understand nor sort it out. Comodo is for experienced computer users, it's decieving by how easy it may look and just copy cs settings. Practise safe computing habits and make backups, rather than chasing clouds.

E

Eddie Morra

Comodo is for experienced computer users
In my opinion, everything which is developed in-house at COMODO and isn't developed by external parties is ridiculed with bugs. If there's one thing I know... the NSA must absolutely adore COMODO.

If COMODO works great for someone then nice, but I rarely see it happen.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

the NSA must absolutely adore COMODO.
As well as many in MT. After a while their eyes open whats up with Comodo, even if it's been discussed thousand times before and warnings said what may go wrong. Each one have to go through hard learning and their own experience with it. I just love reading how people switch to CF and then drop it like a hot potato. Sandboxing doesn't solve possible malware infection problem, you will eventually allow something outside of it, because that's what you do when you install new soft and if one doesn't make sure it's legit and fine with other tools, you're done.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Is this thread serious? You really ask for problems by using Comodo products, sooner or later you will encounter some annoyance wich you will not be willing to understand nor sort it out. Comodo is for experienced computer users, it's decieving by how easy it may look and just copy cs settings. Practise safe computing habits and make backups, rather than chasing clouds.

Can I ask is this a reply to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.