Advice Request What is the Best File Compression software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby holla

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 30, 2014
Hello Everyone, Can someone here suggest for me the best File compression to use. am trying to compress File size worth 58GB with WinRar and it's taking too long than i imagine which even Slows down my PC to the Core. i need to know if there is better option for me. i have seen so many like 7-Zip, PeaZip, Zipware and more. can anyone here please help me out.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@bobby holla Mod Edit Notes: Moved from (Latest Security News) to appropriate sub-forum. Take your time to browse the boards before posting anywhere.

Before continuing there are you aware of the different compressions formats (.7z, .rar, .zip) available?

These articles are about 2 years old, but nevertheless useful.
15 Archivers Tested to Find the Fastest Speeds and Smallest File Sizes • Raymond.CC
Benchmarked: What’s the Best File Compression Format?

When you compressing or extracting, depending on your current hardware, your CPU/HDD resources will be fully utilised unless set to background. For the best experience, use a highly spec'd machine, but if not possible, then at least change your Power Plan to High Performance (Battery) and plug into mains power.

Data Compression and Extraction can be time consuming and rely on a number of factors, some of which mentioned above.

This may or not be helpful, but I'll post a link to it: 7-Zip / Discussion / Open Discussion:Archive Deletion Problem

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I use 7zip its good for what i need. Was once a fan of winzip but i found it buggy when unzipping files.
Peazip is a good one too.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
WinRAR have best compresion/time
but if you dont have servers etc simple 7zip if far enought.

Any way in home i preffer combo Total Commander with winrar engine and you will be in heaven :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Most of the mainstream archiving software have been developed almost to tbeur apex, meaning they offer mostly the same features and performance.

Personally, I have always been using 7-Zip. It has never let me down, offers excellent compression and performance for its .7z archive format, and it also supports almost all other formats.

I have also tried WinRAR (I actually bought a license for it) but my opinion on it was mixed: I found it average in terms of GUI, performance, and its .rar archive format is quite overrated (it is more widespread due to its popularity, rather than its compression ratio).

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've been using Powerarchiver for years. Multi-core 64 bit compression/decompression algorithms, multiple file format support and lifetime licenses that are respected, not like some software vendors that just decide that lifetime licenses are no longer valid after a few years...

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I use both 7-Zip and WinRAR for various reason. I use 7-Zip when I want to play with .iso, .esd, etc. files (which I do a lot), and I use WinRAR for standard extraction because the "Extract to /" option is one-click away, while for 7-Zip I have to hover over it. I know, I'm that lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.