What is the lightest antivirus available right now?

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I honestly wouldn't even use an AV as your primary defense. I would use something like a restriction software or AE. Containment with a sandbox and On-demand scan for files. An AV is only as good as your ability to update sigs.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I honestly wouldn't even use an AV as your primary defense. I would use something like a restriction software or AE. Containment with a sandbox and On-demand scan for files. An AV is only as good as your ability to update sigs.
Actually before posting this query here on MalwareTips I've thought for quite a while about what I need. I'm not looking for anything other than an AV cuz its a desktop and its kept in my room where anyone can have access to. And since it doesn't contain any private files, its never password protected. That's the reason I need an antivirus. And since all of you guys advised avast, avira and Mcshield I'll try all the three.

D

Deleted member 178

my defense strategy : virtualization/prevention backed-up by a cloud AV , all for minimal impact on resources.

Reactions: Venustus

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
my defense strategy : virtualization/prevention backed-up by a cloud AV , all for minimal impact on resources.
Cloud AV is not an option bro. The PC that I'm talking about is never going to connect to the Internet.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
what will be its purpose? after i know i will better advise you
Nothing much. Just some random DVD copying and burning. My laptop DVD drive is dead for months. So I've to use my desktop to use any optical media.
Btw, thanks for dropping by.

D

Deleted member 178

Nothing much. Just some random DVD copying and burning. My laptop DVD drive is dead for months. So I've to use my desktop to use any optical media.

dont install any AVs , just do a fresh installation of Windows then install any (clean) softs you need ; then use a light virtualization system that reload the clean system at every boot (like Shadow Defender, Timefreeze, Deepfreeze, etc...)

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Qihu360 is also a very light option you might want to consider:)

http://www.360safe.com/
Even I was thinking of Qihu360. But I wonder how fast it will be on a aging Intel P4 CPU.

dont install any AVs , just do a fresh installation of Windows then install any (clean) softs you need ; then use a light virtualization system that reload the clean system at every boot (like Shadow Defender, Timefreeze, Deepfreeze, etc...)
If I use Shadow Defender, Timefreeze, Deepfreeze, etc... I wont be able to copy anything to my PC. Moreover the desktop accessible to anyone. So Not everyone will know about those softwares. Those softwares will defend my machine but it won't let me retain my data. I know I can turn on shadow mode, put a USB drive, copy the stuff from the disc to the usb and insert it in my laptop, do a scan, restart my desktop and copy the stuff back. But that's a lengthy process. and not everyone having access to the desktop have access to my laptop.

D

Deleted member 178

Those softwares will defend my machine but it won't let me retain my data. I know I can turn on shadow mode, put a USB drive, copy the stuff from the disc to the usb and insert it in my laptop, do a scan, restart my desktop and copy the stuff back.

you can create some folders and exclude them from SD so the files there will not be removed, then if you want check them for viruses just use an O-D scanner

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Just a straight forward question.... How well does it stand against Avast and Avira ???
From my perspective it is much better,especially it's detection capabilities!

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
you can create some folders and exclude them from SD so the files there will not be removed, then if you want check them for viruses just use an O-D scanner
What if I'm not at home and someone brings something valuable to me, and he copies it to my desktop only to be found later that the data he copied just vanished. And what if someone copied some stuff to it and burns a cd/dvd !!! the virus will directly be copied to the cd/dvd. Just skip this shadow defender thing. You don't get it, it just wont work.

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
From my perspective it is much better,especially it's detection capabilities!
The main point is, how well will it perform on a intel pentium 4 1.9GHz cpu having 512MB of RAM. There's no point of having a ferrari if I don't have a garage. Anyways, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: Venustus
D

Deleted member 178

you supposed to be offline so your only infection vector will be removable medias like (usb devices) AVs will need updates so if you do offlines ones (and i suppose not everyday), how you can check that the USB you will use is clean from 0-days malwares (those out-of-the-scope of any AVs signatures)?

using an AV and doing offline updates is more clumsy than my solution, btw don't tell me that the other users don't know how to select a folder to stock/burn datas

anyway , i gave you the lightest solution, almost no impact on system because no realtime engine that scan every files/processes.

you are free to ignore it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Aaha.... take for example... You came to my home and I'm not around. And you've something to give me. How will you know that you've to put those files in this specific folder??? Wild guess??? And do you really think everyone out there knows about Shadow Defender ??? I bet, hardly 10-20% of the people will know about it. So basically most of the people will just turn on the pc, put the files the hdd and turn off the machine. they won't even know that the files will get deleted. Does your mom knows how to use Shadow Defender??? That's what I'm talking about. Not many people knows about it. That's why I'm looking for a traditional antivirus. I don't need the strongest possible protection. All I need is something. Like they say, something is better than nothing. That's why I posted the header as "What is the lightest antivirus available right now?"
Thanks for your advice though.

D

Deleted member 178

ok in the case you described above if the computer is open to everybody better use an on demand scanner , it will be better than any realtime AV; if the visitor USB is infected the AVs will delete/quarantine his file right away, not saying about false positives.

It happen to me with Avast in an internet shop , i was planning to send my clean files then avast deleted them right away saying they were malwares...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.