What is your favorite PDF Reader? (March 2016)

mal1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2015
On my android tablet, I have +10 PDF readers; SmartQ reader, Mantano, Xodo, Radaee, Mupdf, PDFviewer, foxit and others. None of them is perfect. A perfect PDF reader should be fast rendering, and should show search results while you're still viewing the same page (and it should be secure/light etc.)

Now with Windows, I'm still looking for an "acceptable" PDF reader, currently I use both Adobe and Sumatra and looking into other options.
Adobe is obviously the most popular PDF reader, it has always worked flawlessly for me, but it's the least secure of all.
Sumatra seems to lack many features.
I was disappointed with the Windows version of Mupdf, which is nothing like its android counterpart.
Foxit is the most non-adobe popular reader, I wanted to do some research before installing it, and I was surprised by the negative feedback about a bundled toolbar and unwanted programs, even a Gizmo review from 2015 warned about it ***Caution! Foxit is bundled with a variety of unwanted components that will attempt to install toolbars and change your system settings. The exact nature of these unwanted components is changed regularly. Users need to take great care during the installation process to avoid these unwanted items. *** Best Free Non-Adobe PDF Reader
Other alternatives are PDFxchange viewer (still need to read more reviews before I can give it the thumbs up), and I'm intrigued by "evince" by GNOME, I have never used any GNOME software, are GNOME products trustworthy from a security/privacy perspective?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@mal1: Yes they are trustworthy and products where under as open-source so which means its indeed design for continuous and rampant changes on development. :)

+ AFAIK, does not contain any bundled products that can affect or harm its privacy/security issue.

Reactions: mal1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.