What is your story about the first AV that you used ?

echo1

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 18, 2014
F-Prot was my first AV some time in 1989/1990. In those days, I remember trying McAfee, Norton, AVP (the early Kaspersky AV product), and Dr. Solomon's. I loved AVP, DR. Solomon's, and F-Prot. They were the best AV products at the time, detecting much more of the in-the-wild viruses than the other products. Norton and McAfee were only moderately good. It wasn't until after McAfee bought out Dr Solomon's (and incorporated some of its technology) that their product started to do better at detecting viruses. During the same time, Norton bought IBM Anti-Virus and incorporated some of its technology into their product, thereby also making it better at detecting viruses.

BTW, do any of you remember Microsoft Anti-Virus??????????? Not good!!!! It was released with MS-DOS 5.0, if I remember correctly. Do you know how much faith Bill Gates and Microsoft had in THAT product? Well, while they were selling MS-DOS 5.0 and advertising how great it was to have Microsoft Anti-Virus protection, Microsoft itself was using F-Prot to protect its systems.

Addendum: I remember that Microsoft bought the rights to use Central Point Anti-Virus. They re-branded THAT product as Microsoft Anti-virus. If memory serves, Central Point had one of the worst detection rates of all AV products at the time.

Last edited:

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I used to have McAfee AV (free with the pc from my employer) but then when I realized that McAfee can't do it alone I used SpyBot. After a few years I encountered Malwarebytes and when I scanned my lone pc I was surprised to see the number that McAfee/Spybot has missed. I removed SpyBot and used MBAM Free. From McAfee I switched to AVG Free then to Avast Free from which I got my infection that took away all my office files. From there I moved to Avira Premium. Stayed with it for about 3 years. :)

DrySun

Level 1
Verified
Jul 8, 2014
Horror story about a preinstalled Norton Antivirus back in 2003. I think I was running Windows XP. Everything was normal until my trial of Norton Antivirus went out after 30 days. Then everything went wrong. My machine wouldn't connect to the internet unless it was a popup or ad from Norton Antivirus. I swear this was not a rogue antivirus.

Since I didn't know too much about computers at the time, I called some tech support (I cannot remember who). He was asking what programs I had installed, and when I told him Norton AV he immediately said to uninstall it. "How do I uninstall a program?" So he guided me through that process and immediately after I uninstalled Norton my internet was back to normal.

I never used a Norton product again.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Horror story about a preinstalled Norton Antivirus back in 2003. I think I was running Windows XP. Everything was normal until my trial of Norton Antivirus went out after 30 days. Then everything went wrong. My machine wouldn't connect to the internet unless it was a popup or ad from Norton Antivirus. I swear this was not a rogue antivirus.

Since I didn't know too much about computers at the time, I called some tech support (I cannot remember who). He was asking what programs I had installed, and when I told him Norton AV he immediately said to uninstall it. "How do I uninstall a program?" So he guided me through that process and immediately after I uninstalled Norton my internet was back to normal.

I never used a Norton product again.

I think i experienced that one time, i borrowed my friends Norton Suite, i think it was around 2004 or something and i would get ads from Norton and network issues and the suite was really heavy and my pc as blessed with a mere 512mb at that time lol, things got fixed when i uninstalled it and got back to Avast or maybe Avira, back then kept switching between the 2 a lot.

Ashu Kumar

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 6, 2014
Do you know

No Sir, I do not know. :( and didn't know any of the historical facts you mentioned in your post either. So thank you for enlightening us. :)

But I know one thing that Antimalware Service Executable, for many times uses more than 50 MB of RAM (reaches over 100 MB) and also keeps utilizing CPU :( ...Well, these are just randomly inspected figures on my laptop. I didn't face any slowdown so i didn't track these figures.Thank God. :) :) :)

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Started with Norton way back in the 90's, used that exclusively up to 2000, then swapped to Mcafee for a few years, then in 2005 got accepted to test Windows Live One Care, at the time online game friend she was like go ahead test it, you may do good testing it

So Removed Mcafee, and installed WIndows Live One Care, And boy did i get infected while testing that program

One made some mistakes i'm sure while testing it, but have learned since then--had the shop rebuild the entire system, had major rootkit, bios virus, and who knows what else wrong back then, Then after that stopped using Windows Live One Care, and transition to Avast Free which i used on all household systems up til March 2019, trying Windows Defender now in Windows 10 Pro, so far no problems, but very very careful unlike i was in 2005

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I won't merge the topics but there is almost the same one here :p Topics are moved by the river of time and new members coming everyday, so this question should be re-asked and re-discussed :)
Mine was Giant Antispyware, followed by AVG, Bitdefender, Avast and at last ESET
GIANT-AntiSpyware_73469g.jpg

Yes, this thread is very similar to a current thread.

And Giant Antispyware was great.
1567090630970.png

So Removed Mcafee, and installed WIndows Live One Care, And boy did i get infected while testing that program.

Ha! Me too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.