Advice Request What programs should i install on my new device?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
What av should i use? Also something for ads on youtube?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
because your phone only has 2Gb of RAM, I don't recommend you to install many apps which tend to work in the background, for example, AVs
consider the posts from others, there are some nice apps

I assume you don't root your phone

- try not to install apps from outside playstore
- download bitdefender and perform a scan every 1-2 months, then uninstall it
- I recommend: Naked browser (free): it has an adblocker, which supports EasyList format -> you can add whatever you want to that list to strengthen adblocking, popups, malwares,... the downside is that it doesn't support element hiding you should add: EasyList without element hiding rules
this is the instruction how to add the blocklist to your phone: naked browser resource blocking

the app is minimal, much faster and consumes less RAM than the resource-hog google chrome. Playing a video on chrome is laggy but not laggy in naked browser

EDIT:
Also something for ads on youtube?
there is no way to block ads on youtube in the official youtube app without root, they fixed it
perhaps, adguard can but using VPN sucks a lot of battery
only rooted phone with xposed can

personally, I use videoder (a youtube alternative) or play videos in your browsers with adblocker

Last edited:
Reactions: askmark and Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
@Evjl's Rain i dont think im gonna root my phone anytime soon. Also naked browser is not available in my country :/

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain i dont think im gonna root my phone anytime soon. Also naked browser is not available in my country :/
you can install it here
or here
Cannot install from the Play Store? The current version is always here. 1.0 Build 128 md5sum: cb60528493a6cbb1d71c45b7757bb58e

the UI is ugly, you should get used to it, it can be hard in the beginning
for example, to open the menu bar, long-press the back button

Reactions: askmark and Rengar

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
you can install it here
or here

the UI is ugly, you should get used to it, it can be hard in the beginning
for example, to open the menu bar, long-press the back button
the devs cant be serious with the right side of that site...

Erika

Level 1
Sep 25, 2017
Late for participation old post well, its depend on your use. VPN and Antivirus applications are the basic apps in my mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.