Advice Request What replacement for WiseVector?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MrMr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
The topic says it all, I want to stay Virus free, what should I replace WiseVector with that uses minimal resources?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The topic says it all, I want to stay Virus free, what should I replace WiseVector with that uses minimal resources?
Kaspersky Free doesn’t use too much resources, can be tweaked to be even lighter and provides solid protection. Much more solid than WV.

It you used WV only as a second opinion scanner, you can try adlice RogueKiller.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Kaspersky Free doesn’t use too much resources, can be tweaked to be even lighter and provides solid protection. Much more solid than WV.
Agree. CS mentioned trying Kaspersky Free with CF, and I am running that combo in this win10_VM, despite the fact that Kaspersky considers CF to be incompatible. After a week or so, I have not seen any obvious incompatibility.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Agree. CS mentioned trying Kaspersky Free with CF, and I am running that combo in this win10_VM, despite the fact that Kaspersky considers CF to be incompatible. After a week or so, I have not seen any obvious incompatibility.
If there is incompatibility, I would remove CF. Kaspersky is a product developed to a high standard and actively in maintenance, whereas the other one… we all know it now.

MrMr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
If there is incompatibility, I would remove CF. Kaspersky is a product developed to a high standard and actively in maintenance, whereas the other one… we all know it now.
I agree with all the above but I wouldn't switch CFW for Kasperky since, if configured correctly, CFW checks then reverts to default deny (its literally the only big thing CFW has going, its annoying in a way that it blocks everything) while Kaspersky uses a default allow module with very heavy heuristic scanning.

I don't know how much resources kasperky uses compared to WV, I'm mostly using the setup on mini PCs so they run hot quickly but if its the same I'll go to kaspersky free :)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
understood... but hard to know for sure, ie, I'm not a systems engineer :ROFLMAO: I don't get any error messages, and it all seems good, but during the installation of Kaspersky Free on win10_VM with cruelcomodo already installed, Kaspersky wants to uninstall CF, and after a quick scan KF again suggests that CF be removed. @cruelsister said ok to ignore these incompatible comments. I've read all the posts about this, no need to debate it again... (at least with me) 😩

Reactions: MrMr and Trident

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It’s not the same, but from the free AVs it is the most minimal. Bitdefender uses more memory (though it won’t cause heat) and Avast IDP is a bit more active.

Default deny can be achieved via Kaspersky Intrusion Prevention but this is in the paid version only.
fwiw, I have Bitdefender Free on another win10_VM, but have not tried CF with it. A few years ago, I did not like BD, but I do like the current BD Free, it is (or feels) very light.

MrMr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
It’s not the same, but from the free AVs it is the most minimal. Bitdefender uses more memory (though it won’t cause heat) and Avast IDP is a bit more active.

Default deny can be achieved via Kaspersky Intrusion Prevention but this is in the paid version only.
The problem in mini PC's is usually heat. Idle the CPU on one of my boxes runs at 65-70 degrees celcius, its a poor cooling problem so with CF and MD running I try to keep CPU/GPU (its not a NUC so internal GPU) to a minimum since it starts throttling playing a 1080p hevc 10 bit file (to give an example, that isn't too hard since it has CPU instructions but is hitting the 97 degrees celcius already).

Reactions: kylprq
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

@MrMr

I would suggest Kaspersky products according to your needs. (Default-allow but strong security with one of the best proactive protections.)

I don't know whether Kaspersky Free displays upgrade advertisements or the frequency with which they occur.

Or

Comodo Firewall with proactive configuration and HIPS disabled plus your fine-tuning or cruelconfig. (Solid default-deny security for users who know how to work with Comodo.)

I'm sure Comodo does internal tests for compatibility with supported operating systems. Comodo Firewall has been working smoothly on my fully updated Windows 10 machine.

Reactions: kylprq and MrMr

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi @Trident !

In the past, many times, I tested Kaspersky, well known protection, but for my taste I never liked its hardware performance (CPU, RAM, disk writings etc etc etc).
And if you remember, in previous messages exchange, we (you and I) declared ourselves "hardware performance maniacs" :ROFLMAO:

Since I lost CF and WiseVector, I couldn't find a replacement for that combo, specially with regards to the relation "high protection" VS "low hardware impact".
I read your recommendation about Kaspersky, and I wonder if you can share your Kaspersky recommended settings.

Days ago, a post was written about Kaspersky settings: RoboMan's Kaspersky 2023 Light & Solid Settings
I also found in the web very different, confusing and contradictory recommendations.
And honestly, I'm a little lost about Kaspersky.

So @Trident , please, if possible, can you share a Kaspersky tutorial? Please, if possible, also include links (freeware version), settings etc.
Feel free to do that in this post, in a new post, or by PM with me.
And if you don't want or can't do that, no problem man!, forget it, it's nor urgent nor a priority.

Thank you in advance!

PS: My request to you is somehow related to your amazing post with tests: Video Review - Real World, Evasive Malware and Performance Test by Trident
What I still need from this your post?... the tweaks question.
Obviously and as it should be, in your post all the test were performed in default mode.
And what would be great to discover?... your same tests, but with tweaked versions for each software.
However, as you know better than I, tweaks are a "double-edged sword", sometimes you can achieve strong protection but at the cost of hurting hardware performance or blocking too much stuff... not good. So, it could be great to find a security software (preferably freeware), with tweaks (if needed), with good protection, and with the less hardware performance impact. This also could be the answer for current @MrMr post.

bobdoe

Level 2
Oct 10, 2020
Of course it is excellent but I find it a bit of a gas factory like avast :/

Gas factory? You mean co2/global warming emissions? Good on you for being environmentally responsible! ;)
Edit: That might qualify for the worst joke ever on MT ... my apologies, have never seen "gas factory" used like that before

Serious question though...
Im using Appcheck alongside BDFree and it is behaving wonderfully... no performance impact or fp. Do you think that adds to my protection or is it redundant? Cruelsister said once it was a good companion for WVSX and it is an automatic install for me these days no matter what av I run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadowra

MrMr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
Thank you all for the suggestions. Avast (and clones with the same engine) work great but they're very heavy CPU wise compared to WV. I don't know how Kaspersky free does with memory load and CPU usage for minimal systems compared to WV, maybe @Shadowra knows because you're always testing AVs (your videos are great!)

• Thanks
Reactions: Shadowra

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023

It you used WV only as a second opinion scanner, you can try adlice RogueKiller.
Can WV be used without staying resident in realtime? So basically, on Demand?

@MrMr
Did you take those broken wings?

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Thank you all for the suggestions. Avast (and clones with the same engine) work great but they're very heavy CPU wise compared to WV. I don't know how Kaspersky free does with memory load and CPU usage for minimal systems compared to WV, maybe @Shadowra knows because you're always testing AVs (your videos are great!)

Kaspersky Free is relatively light because the editor has optimized the engine :) it is no longer the greedy antivirus that it was before.

Bitdefender uses the Photom technology which learns how you use your PC and adapts itself.

Gas factory? You mean co2/global warming emissions? Good on you for being environmentally responsible! ;)

Haha :D
200.gif

More seriously, it is a term that describes that the antivirus is a CPU / RAM consumer :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.