App Review Real World, Evasive Malware and Performance Test by Trident

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Welcome to this test performed by me.

The test focuses on 4 key areas:
Real World Protection Test (most important)
Evasive Malware Test ( important)
Antivirus Performance Test (important)
Stability/User Experience (important)

Every product has an initial score of 100 points.

Failure deductions are as follows:
Real World Protection Test Failure -( -100 and no further testing performed).
Evasive Malware Test (Rat/Infostealer -40; Ransomware no exfiltration - 20; Ransomware with Exfiltration -50; Ransomware, no exfiltration and product offers backup -10)
Performance Test (Abnormal size on disk [>1gb -10]; Abnormal Memory Usage [most systems have 16 GB so above 2% of that or 320 MB is abnormal] -10; Abnormal CPU Usage on Idle -10)
Stability/User Experience Failure (Credit card required to download -1; Bombarding with notifications -5; Interface does not meet UI trends in the last 10 years -10; Interface is difficult to get around -7; Installer is online-based but does not install the most recent version -1; Product offers only minimal configuration -2; Updates are very slow -5)

All unedited tests can be seen in this playlist:

Some evidence for performance will be displayed there, other will be in a screenshot.
Edited Video called "Falling Castles: Antivirus Test" is coming soon.

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security NextGen by Check Point:
Real Word Protection Test: -0 (pass)
Evasive Malware Test (-40 for missed RATs and -20 for successful ransomware infection)
Performance (Abnormal Size on Disk -10; Abnormal Memory Usage -10)
User Experience (Bombarding with notifications -5)
Total = 15 points

F-Secure
Real World Protection Test -0 (pass)
Evasive Malware Test (-40 for missed RATs)
Performance (pass)
User Experience (pass)
Total = 60 points

Bitdefender Total Security:
Evasive Malware Test -0 (pass)
Performance (Abnormal Size on Disk -10, Abnormal Memory Usage -10)
User Experience (Installer is online based but does not install the most recent version -1; Updates are very slow -5)
Total = 74 points

Kaspersky Security Standard:
Kaspersky allows trial to be downloaded but uses tricks to make it more difficult for users not familiar with their website and tools.
Performance (pass)
User Experience (Bombarding with notifications -5)
Total = 55 points

Norton 360 Advanced
Evasive Malware Test (-40 for missed RATs even though IPS blocks connection. A miss is a miss)
Performance Test (pass)
User Experience (Credit card required to download -1; Bombards with notifications -5; Installer is online based but does not install the most recent version -1)
Total = 53 Points

Avast Free (gets 10 extra points because it's free; did not test Kaspersky Free as it has no Application Control)
Performance Test (Abnormal size on disk -10)
User Experience (pass)
Total = 60 points

Eset Smart Security Premium:
Evasive Malware (-40 for missed RATs)
Performance Test (pass)
User Experience Test (Bombards with notifications -5; Installer is online based but does not install the most recent version -1)
Total = 54

Worth mentioning:
Microsoft Edge did great job blocking malware links (I didn't turn off its protection because users have no reason to do so)
Microsoft Defender was disqualified even before testing as apparently some malware managed to damage it. It was just loading continuously.

Overall winners:
Champion: Bitdefender
Second best: F-secure; Avast
Third best: Kaspersky Standard; Eset Smart Security Premium (more expensive than Kaspersky)
To be avoided: ZoneAlarm

This concludes this year's testing.

I would like to apologise to viewers if I look confused in some of the videos (the mouse movement). I am a Mac user and all this malware, notifications, menus (one inside another) is extremely overwhelming.
Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (8).png

[/SPOILER
Screenshot (50).png
Screenshot (60).png

Screenshot (60).png
Screenshot (70).png
Screenshot (500).png
Screenshot (600).png
Screenshot (700).png

Last edited by a moderator:

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Nice work, brother. Seems my boy F-Secure did alright. As a part-time Mac user myself, I can understand the frustration with all those erratic popups. Didn’t mess with my viewing pleasure though.

Keep it up; good attention to detail in the testing as well.

Edit: How do I give reputation points or whatever those green things are? New to this forum platform… looks like Xenforo but not sure. Anyway, this post of yours deserves more than just a like… @Trident

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Nice work, brother. Seems my boy F-Secure did alright. As a part-time Mac user myself, I can understand the frustration with all those erratic popups. Didn’t mess with my viewing pleasure though.

Keep it up; good attention to detail in the testing as well.

Edit: How do I give reputation points or whatever those green things are? New to this forum platform… looks like Xenforo but not sure. Anyway, this post of yours deserves more than just a like… @Trident
Thanks. you need to hover over the "Like" and then other reactions appear.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I will edit the post and will include the results here as well.

Performance Test (pass)
User Experience Test (Bombards with notifications -5; Installer is online based but does not install the most recent version -1)
Total = 54

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I will edit the post and will include the results here as well.

Performance Test (pass)
Total = 54

So Bitdefender > Eset......

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
A more in depth performance test may arrive later. Not everybody needs protection against evasive malware (though we can argue here). Some people would prefer a more performant solution. The next step would be to analyse the privacy policies.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
A more in depth performance test may arrive later. Not everybody needs protection against evasive malware (though we can argue here). Some people would prefer a more performant solution. The next step would be to analyse the privacy policies.

Now this is the content I subscribed for. Looking forward to this, please PM me when you begin working on this. Will be happy to help.

Now now, don’t start with me @Trident. We’re buddies now 🍻 I’ll behave if you behave 😝

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
User Experience Test

Deducting points for CC and notifications. Surely this is subjective, is it not?

So Eset/Kaspersky/Norton etc in theory are 60 too.
Notifications play a key role in software usage (as well as everything else you see). You don't see the behavioural blocking classifiers and the kernel driver code.
If you have a look on forums, complaints about notifications top. You are free to perform your own calculations.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.