Advice Request What replacement for WiseVector?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MrMr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
Kaspersky Free is relatively light because the editor has optimized the engine :) it is no longer the greedy antivirus that it was before.

Bitdefender uses the Photom technology which learns how you use your PC and adapts itself
That's a big improvement from the last time I used it years ago, I want it to be very minimal impact just like WV was, anything more the device couldnt handle running next to CS CFW
200.gif

More seriously, it is a term that describes that the antivirus is a CPU / RAM consumer :)
She can go row row her boat off the end of the earth (which will take just long enough since it doesnt end :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Given NovaBench and browsing, they're similar in terms of performance, although Windows Defender can be heavy. However, I noticed the ff.

For Kaspersky, popups for upgrades still show up even though I disabled as much as I could. One post in the company forum stated that that's given for free software. In addition, it might be missing features like removing infection.

For Bitdefender, I had a lot of difficulty installing, e.g., sometimes the installer takes a very long time to download. I'm also not sure about anti-ransomware features.

For AVG, it feels heavier than Avast, and I could not completely uninstall it. Component errors appeared via sfc /scannow, and I had to repair upgrade the OS to remove the problem.

That left me with Avast, where I had to use the regular free (not AvastOne) version to have dark mode, and then it with silent and do not disturb modes so that popups wouldn't show up. The catch is that I can only tell that it blocked a software or is stopping a page from loading by looking for a blue dot in the system tray icon.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
@Decopi I am going back home from Paris tomorrow (Sunday). I will install Kaspersky on my Windows playground laptop (this is all it is good for, to play with viruses and antiviruses, Mac and Chrome OS are for everything else) and will share the tweaked Kaspersky for better protection and better performance. @a090 is also waiting on that.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

After having tried Avira (bombarded with upgrade messages) and Avast (silences out after two weeks when you select that you don't want to receive recommendations AND consequently choose explicit ignore to the different type of upgrade notification), Bitdefender free is a revolation, it is silent since I installed it on my wifes laptop, when you disable offers and notifications, see picture
1682153818133.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
@Decopi I am going back home from Paris tomorrow (Sunday). I will install Kaspersky on my Windows playground laptop (this is all it is good for, to play with viruses and antiviruses, Mac and Chrome OS are for everything else) and will share the tweaked Kaspersky for better protection and better performance. @a090 is also waiting on that.

Wonderful! Thank you @Trident !

Among all security software out-there, I hope you can find the best candidate for "protection" AND "hardware performance".
I'm not in love with any software, so it doesn't matter for me if the candidate is Kaspersky or whatever.
Also, I don't care if the software needs tweaks.

I read tons of stuff (AV-tests, AV-comparatives, influential reviewers, forums in the web etc)... and honestly, I can't find solid and consistent info pointing to one candidate. The Info is confusing and contradictory.

You have strong knowledge in the field, you made tons of comparative tests, and you care a lot about hardware performance. So, your recommendations are going to be more than welcome!
Please, take all the time you need.
And have a safe trip back home.

Thanks again

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky free is the perfect replacement of WV, almost
it has almost all important features of the paid versions. Only Application control feature is a big miss but it's not for average users
the performance seems to improve from the previous versions. However, they haven't fixed the bug which annoys me a bit when I open a folder full of exe files, although I changed scan mode to On execution only

Bitdefender free is okay but script scanning feature is crippled/greyed out -> worse protection. There are not many settings to change

Decopi

Level 6
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Kaspersky free is the perfect replacement of WV, almost
I changed scan mode to On execution only

Hi @Evjl's Rain,

It's been a while since our last contact, but (even silently from my side) I always like to read all your comments, I always consider you a veteran participant of MalwareTips with lot of great experiences, knowledge and stuff to share.

Eons ago you posted a very nice tutorial with your settings for Avast.
Now, I see you recommending Kaspersky.
If you are not using default settings, I wonder if you already shared your Kaspersky settings (somewhere in another post?), and if not, I wonder if you (please) can share them (here or in another post or by PM to me).

At MalwareTips, and for comparison, I already found some Kaspersky settings:

@Trident is going to share his Kaspersky recommended settings.
I consider him a person with strong, solid, consistent and objective knowledge/experiences. More important, I believe we (he and I) share similar pathological obsession (🤣) for hardware performance. And that's why I requested him his Kaspersky recommended settings, focused on hardware performance (IMHO protection without hardware performance isn't protection).

In this context, @Evjl's Rain please, if you think you can add any valuable info about the Kaspersky settings subject, please feel free to share whatever you want to share.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
In this context, @Evjl's Rain please, if you think you can add any valuable info about the Kaspersky settings subject, please feel free to share whatever you want to share.
Hi, here are some changes I did to my Kaspersky free. The free version is limited so my configurations are mostly default
There are many missing features present in Trident's Kaspersky UI but not in mine

File Anti-virus: Scan mode = On execution
Safe browsing: Scan methods -> check all
Mail AV: disable -> I don't have any offline mail client
Network settings: uncheck "Inject script..." and select "Do not scan encrypted connections" -> I noticed some improvement in browser responsiveness
Performance settings:
- Operating mode: uncheck "Delete malicious tools..." and "Scan for weak..." -> I don't want Kaspersky to delete my files -> quarantine instead
- Self-defense: uncheck "Allow managing..." and "Enable external..."
Interface: uncheck "Enable notification sounds"

The lines in red are the ones that affect the performance. The rest are not very important

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.