Advice Request What router are you using?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I’ve been trying a new secure router (Gryphon), switching from an ASUS. I had used ASUS for over 10 years. Some features I assumed were common for all router firmware aren’t part of their system. So it got me thinking of what else I might look at. I’m going to be in a medium sized home (1800 sqft) and am replacing my AC68U with Merlin firmware. I had my heart set on an AC86U to replace it, but then I read about the Gryphon. I’m feeling the pinch of missing a quality custom firmware with a good range of options. But the 86U has some issues with quality control it seems. So I was wondering what routers everyone else runs? What do you like about the features? How’s the security?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm using absolutely nothing advanced. Just the one provided by my ISP:

1458913502602.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, I am using the router provided by my ISP(STOFA), and I just got their new model Friday: White Technicolour Router. :)

Reactions: blackice

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What do you like about the features?
The less, the better, but it still supports too much. I have got $20 worth TL-WR940N. I have disabled all possible features: WPS, UPnP, VPN, ALG, DHCP, IPv6, MAC Filtering. I keep SPI Firewall to filter some unsolicited traffic. I set it to 20MHz (2,4GHz) and 11n only to limit the number of compatible devices. Subnet is set to 255.255.255.248 to limit the number of hosts to 5. I use 63 special characters long WPA2 password.

Before you ask, I have recently found out, that MAC Filtering is not a security feature (just like hiding WiFi name turns the computer into a beacon). MAC address is not sent encrypted, so a hacker can sniff and copy it within minutes, it can only make WiFi connection more problematic, because every single packet has to include MAC address for verification. Imagine typing your windows password like 50 times per second, it is useless.

How’s the security?
It sucks, there are some known vulnerabilities, but as with all cheap routers, they are released and forgotten. The latest firmware is from 2016. :rolleyes:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
sucks, there are some known vulnerabilities, but as with all cheap routers, they are released and forgotten. The latest firmware is from 2016.

Same with my ISP, which at least is local and is committed to net neutrality. However I am too lazy to get a new router and figure out how to bridge it with the current one. And if I did that, I'd still be left with the same question as OP: Which ones are worth a d**n? :rolleyes:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I only picked up this one, because it supports IPv6 and with all the scareware, they were like, IPv4 only will be cut from the internet. 10 years later and IPv6 is still far from being implemented, my ISP does not even support IPv6, since IPv4 pools are limitless. I am behind 6 routers overall. :ROFLMAO:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.