Advice Request What Security Program Do You Keep Going Back To No Matter What?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

B

BVLon

I agree with you about them being dodgy, but it works for me. Here are some thoughts on it, as I've been using it for quite some time now.

I like the UI and that 360 is highly configurable. It does some things very well. For example it can list every suspicious unknown file it has uploaded to the cloud, along with the verdict. I've found that usually other antiviruses do not show what files they upload. It never takes more than 24 hours for them to analyse files. Something else of note is that you can manage licensing from within the UI. It shows what devices you have installed the premium version on and it lets you remove the license from any of these PCs, so you can install it on another PC.

Since they improved the performance in late 2018, it is now one of the lightest antiviruses. It never noticably slows down my system, even when doing its daily scheduled quick scan. Prior to that it was was fairly light, but it's much lighter now. While they are constantly fixing bugs, surprisingly, I've actually never found it to buggy. I can't recall ever having issues with bugs. While I'd be happy for antiviruses to stick with just being antiviruses, the junk cleanup and speedup features do work very well. The junk cleanup won't delete any needed files and supports cleaning junk from a very large number of third party apps, which means it is able to clean a lot of junk. The registry cleaner, while being something that is not needed, is at least safe to use and if run with the default settings won't delete any needed registry keys. In contrast, the cleaners included in other antiviruses, usually include only an extremely basic junk cleaner and sometimes a registry cleaner which will not actually list any of the issues it has found, so you can't actually see if wants to delete any needed registry keys.

For me, the only major downside is the highly annoying ads in the free version. This why I upgraded to the paid version and licenses are cheap on eBay.

Having said all of that, it works really well for me, but I usually wouldn't recommend it to others.
If you feel comfy with your product, that’s the most important thing. It’s just we are here to talk about security software, so it’s normal all of us will have different opinions. One will defend Kaspersky and will like any comment that contains Kaspersky @harlan4096 , another one will like F-Secure @upnorth, third one will defend Norton @fabiobr , 4th one will defend Trend Micro @BVLon 😂
We are geeks and we are here to talk. That’s not s bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Off-Topic posts removed.

Cannot really say I have a "Go Back to Security Program". Occasionally I would install ESET Online Scanner for Windows or Bitdefender Free for Android, but these are not software I am dependant on for security.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Yeah, but you do realise that there is a marginal difference between the form of management in the US and Russia, right? Also, I don’t know how can anyone say “this type of comment should be avoided” who are you?
No way...i had to check it on Google Translator that I realy read what I see! Guy...stop telling such ravings...don't be stupid...such mentions insult users inteligence

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo Firewall. Nothing does what Comodo can do for a system (in theory)...but nothing either is sooooo broken in sooooo many ways like CF :devilish:. I use it in the background, and the alerts are very useful, but I don't trust anything but the sandbox basically. Want to protect a folder or drive with HIPs?...good luck on that one. So many other things are wrong with the program. What I despise the most is that where I really want to use CF, on the laptop, I can't, because on there I am using KSC. KSC literally forces Comodo off of the machine, and I don't want to give up on the reliable coverage from Kas...

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Comodo Firewall. Nothing does what Comodo can do for a system (in theory)...but nothing either is sooooo broken in sooooo many ways like CF :devilish:. I use it in the background, and the alerts are very useful, but I don't trust anything but the sandbox basically. Want to protect a folder or drive with HIPs?...good luck on that one. So many other things are wrong with the program. What I despise the most is that where I really want to use CF, on the laptop, I can't, because on there I am using KSC. KSC literally forces Comodo off of the machine, and I don't want to give up on the reliable coverage from Kas...
Its really strange how they let such a decent firewall get so broken and then broken some more, again and again.... I really can't get my head around how that happened.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Its really strange how they let such a decent firewall get so broken and then broken some more, again and again.... I really can't get my head around how that happened.
High performance firewall. This word is very strange. Basically it's supposed to be a very simple piece of software that monitors communications and controls blockages and permissions. comodo's FW is a great FW that can be managed with hierarchical rules. It would have been nice to just keep it that way, but I started adding superfluous things this way and that. It's not that the firewall is breaking, it's that COMODO's policies and retrofitted features keep breaking.

The clear, plain soup was spoiled by the chef, Mr. comodo, who boiled it down with a few extra ingredients.
Comodo tries to do something about it and still adjusts the flavor with salt and pepper. I think it's better to discard what you can no longer tell if it's that soup or a stew and go back to plain soup.
If by some miracle that happens, then surely I will choose COMODO.🔰

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
People get confused with the Comodo firewall, they think it's a great firewall, a fame created by Matousec testing, but in reality what was demonstrated there was the HIPS, not the firewall.

Comodo has a decent Firewall but it is not better than Windows Firewall, the only thing is Comodo Firewall is easier to configure.

Comodo's strength, apart from its HIPS, is the active Sanbox, which acts as an anti-exe.

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
The one I've gone back to, over and over, is MSE/WD. I used MSE for a year on Windows XP after I uninstalled Avast due to bugginess and before I switched to Webroot. On Windows 7, I went back to WD after uninstalling Webroot due to major problems with false positives. On Windows 10, I've stayed with WD and have no plans to change unless something free and fantastic comes along.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Animals recognize as their parents the first thing they see when they are born. It's a habit called imprinting. I believe that there is also just a little bit of this relationship between the software and the user. I would guess that there are many cases of going back to the software that you have used for the longest period of time, rather than the first time.

"Mr. Comodo"! :LOL: You certainly have a way with words, analogies, etc. which rival @Andy Ful himself. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I am overwhelmingly lacking in knowledge. If I had knowledge like Abdy Full, I would have probably posted more than twice as much as I do now.:D:coffee:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I never knew that Kaspersky bought 20 percent of Gdata shares why does Gdata not have Kaspersky engine instead of bitdefender
always learning thanks
Kaspersky the company itself didn't purchase G-Data shares. Natalya Kaspersky who is the co-founder of Kaspersky Lab and ex-wife of Eugene Kaspersky bought this share. Currently she has no ties to Kaspersky Antivirus.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I never knew that Kaspersky bought 20 percent of Gdata shares why does Gdata not have Kaspersky engine instead of bitdefender
always learning thanks

It wasnt Eugene Kaspersky (Kaspersky Lab) that bought some shares of G-Data, it was his ex-wife (Natalya Ivanovna Kasperskaya), there is no relationship between them.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
ESET or NOD32 to be precise as IS wasn't invented was the first decent AV I found & has to be maybe 20 years ago? So I always feel some affinity to it as it's always worked well Also Kaspersky IS & Emsisoft - Big K probably the best in my eyes now though :cool::cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.