Advice Request What security solution are you using?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

I'm currently using...

• Antivirus only

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Antivirus + anti exe

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Antivirus + anti exe + hardening tools

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Antivirus + anti exe + hardening tools + more

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Only anti exe

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Only hardening tools

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Only SRP

• Next gen solution (+ more if the case)

• Other (specify)

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Nothing at all

• Total voters

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
One could slide over to the Security Configuration section and build a more accurate accounting of what is used most and then placing the results in a thread ;)
Great! Please review the 231 (2018) available configuration threads and compile every software mentioned in each thread and create the report for us :)
Syshardener doesn't create any whitelistings or blacklistings for apps but you can do so in case of osarmor. But according to you, "Most anti-exe's will work as wihtelistening software".So we are having a little bit of breakdown here...
That's right. None of the aforementioned are anti-exe's, I don't see the breakdown mate. Usually, "most" anti-executable solutions create a whitelistening system in order to deny the execution of everything unless specifically admitted by a rule or a allowed notification. I'm not talking about any next-generation product that includes an anti-exe or application control module.
About OSArmor not being a hardening tool, it's okay. If you think it's not, you may be right. I put it under such category because I believe its features harden the stock Windows features, because it blocks or modifies built-in system tools. There's no need to argue over that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

About my boot time, it's around 4 seconds since I press the start button until I'm logged in on Windows desktop. On boot I have loaded: Kaspersky Internet Security, OSArmor, MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit and AdGuard for PC.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
There's no need to argue over that.

I wasn't arguing with you over that... both of us were meaning the same thing, it was just you didn't realize at that moment or might be me. Don't get me wrong... I really didn't try to make it look like a quarrel. If you've felt anything in that manner, then I'm really sorry. I didn't have any such intention... it was just about some technical clarities.

& regarding hardening tools, now it seems the term itself is a little vague or ambiguous.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I wasn't arguing with you over that... both of us were meaning the same thing, it was just you didn't realize at that moment or might be me. Don't get me wrong... I really didn't try to make it look like a quarrel. If you've felt anything in that manner, then I'm really sorry. I didn't have any such intention... it was just about some technical clarities.

& regarding hardening tools, now it seems the term itself is a little vague or ambiguous.
No problem at all friend :)

It probably is a little vague, I just generalized! Here you go have a cute dog :D

pitbull_dog_face_eyes_sadness_65035_602x339.jpg

I

illumination

Great! Please review the 231 (2018) available configuration threads and compile every software mentioned in each thread and create the report for us :)
Just a suggestion, since this thread really is redundant at best, considering this is exactly what the security configuration section is for, and the layout is easier to read then users just re-posting their configurations in a hap hazard style here. So there is no point unless you do it accurately.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I tried almost all commercial solutions from 2000 until today, I think the best ones still playing into field are high end ones with console "unreachable for many", otherwise, many times some single developer product are better than medium user suite oriented products, with exceptions "few".

Right now, evaluating AndyFul GUI for Windows Defender and ERP as main defenses.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I'm using KFA+CFW+VS free+NVTosarmor in one of my VM. To my surprise, comodo & kasperky ain't conflicting. In 2017 version the case was something else. Btw, great choice of combo. Have you used anything to tweak your pc? such as syshardener or something
Not really. Between CFW and KFA I'm pretty much secure. I think that adding VS would be overkill to be honest. I was thinking of adding NVT Osarmor but I'm pretty safe with my surfing. I do run HMP, Emsisoft emergency kit and HerdProtect occasionally as secondary scanners.

treisss

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2018
An idea raised in my mind, like, Mods could write a script to traversal across security configuration posts which were updated in the same year/ period, extract name of tools people specified (eg. field Real time protection, Secondary scanner...). Then make a synthesized post :D

Btw Kubuntu 18.04 leads to my vote for Others. Best release ever.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I think that adding VS would be overkill to be honest.

I do check various combinations in VM time to time. & regarding that particular combo, VS is there to strengthen that system much more. yea, you may consider that as overkill. The point here is to find a combo which will provide you superior protection. & I do use custom rules for VS so that it doesn't bug me always with fp. I know many of us in MT don't like combinations, they just like to rely upon one suite for various reasons. But experience taught me something else. & when I saw you also use combo,so I thought to share an extension of the same combo. It doesn't mean you've to install it or something.

I was thinking of adding NVT Osarmor but I'm pretty safe with my surfing.

if you use that system for just browsing then you may not need osarmor as you may add several extensions & tweaks to browser & over that kaspersky has pretty strong web av. Problem is kfa doesn't provide you TAM nor it does allow you to tweak system watcher. If it would allow you to tweak system watcher you could emulate TAM like behaviour upto an extent.So you could have stronger BB + anti-exe at free of cost. But kaspersky smartly blocks that option.

I do run HMP, Emsisoft emergency kit and HerdProtect occasionally as secondary scanners.

you may try Opswat metadefender also.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.