What Will We Do to Be Different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I've been looking around a bit and there are plenty of other sites similar to us. For example, take Geeks to Go! and Bleeping Computer. (These two were given to me as examples.)

So, what will we do to be different? Currently, they are producing original content. We, on the other hand, are making a few reviews and linking to news others have made.

I suggest that what is displayed on our home page (the portal page) be individual content. Maybe reviews, original news, videos we have made, tutorials, guides, and any personal/site giveaways that we are doing (some could donate toward this).

The blogs could also be developed more...let more people write personal interests (mostly security or technology related) there.

Like some of us are "", some could be "bloggers", "reviewers", or "reporters". Each group may not have anything more than a special badge...but they could have a special board just for each section.

Furthermore, a person could be the manager of content which is displayed on the home page (and if that person is unavailable, a free admin/mod could accept it). I could do this, and also generate some of my own content if the reviewers/reporters/bloggers are lazy. :p

I am trying to help us be more than just a forum. There are plenty of those...and the only original content in forums (the posts) are only relevant to people in the community.

So we need content which will attract others to read it and stay.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
I wonder if we can add a MyBB arcade... :biggrin:

Here I am thinking noble thoughts and you wondering about games. I'm sure you can find a few games online places. :dodgy:

Besides...what does a security forum have to do with that?

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I want to quote what someone asked and told me about this forum. Hopefully, someone will think of things.

He said:
Interesting site... I sent them a request for more information.

I said:
Info about what?

He said:
Who are they - the owners, how do they support the site, user and site security statement, where are they located, qualifications, affiliations... stuff paranoid people (like me) would like to know and would make us feel more comfortable. All I have been able to find are the usual disclaimers... we will not be responsible, etc.

I said:
I just sent a PM to the owner now. He is usually speedy at replying, and is online now.

He said:
Read your PM from "Jack"... I have received no response in 2 days. [Insert by me: He is talking about the contact page, I think. Someone would need to make sure it works.] I'm sorry, it sounds more like a social site to me (and someone's hobby), fine for some.

"Jack" says, he has never been asked these questions before, and then doesn't answer them professionally, causes me to pause and be suspicious... even more than before.
This site doesn't even publish a mission statement... I have to stay clear.

We need a mission statement and about page too.

I said:
Um...I'm not sure what you are saying about the no response in 2 days part. ???

It is somewhat of a hobby for him, and for some of the users. We just like discussing different security products and other (tech) info. And helping/advising others. There are a few other sites for this, but many are focused on a certain security product or company (and so include a lot of bug reports too). This is just a smaller community.

Well, Jack hasn't been asked that before. I guess most people just decided it was a place about technology and security. I did tell them that a privacy policy and "about" page was needed, though.

He said:
I'd like to recomend you visit the sites
Code:
http://www.geekstogo.com/  or
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

I had filled the information request form on the site you recomended and "Jack" nor anyone else responded. [Again, the contact page, I think.]

If you visit the sites above, you will find a huge difference... and there are many such free sites, going back many years that I look to for factual and athoratative information. I do this for a living, so for me.. these requirements are mandatory.

Neither of the sites place any requirements on its users for use of the site nor how many posts they make. There is just the sharing of information with industry professionals.. much like I do here at CU, with correct documentation and facts.

I am sorry I posted in your topic.. I will change my posts as I was not adding anything positive.

Basically, he doesn't see much use for this site as an information source.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I entirely agree that we need original content. News won't get us too far since the sites that posted them first will always rank higher in search results. The content on the home page gets pulled from some forums. We could create a forum and move only original posts there so they appear on the home page. Anyway in a forum good posts often get buried fast and articles might not stay on the first page long enough to become well known.
The blog uses wordpress, it is not integrated with our forum, still some of our forum members can have a separate account there and blog if they want. It needs categories and a cleaner theme imo. We'll happily allow some of them to use it.
Switching from wordpress to a bigger CMS more article-oriented like joomla (eg: the new blackviper site) or drupal (eg: techsupportalert) doesn't make sense at the moment since it will not be used to its full potential and it is a bit harder to customize an use. geekstogo use wordpress for their main site and they're doing fine.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
I entirely agree that we need original content. News won't get us too far since the sites that posted them first will always rank higher in search results. The content on the home page gets pulled from some forums. We could create a forum and move only original posts there so they appear on the home page. Anyway in a forum good posts often get buried fast and articles might not stay on the first page long enough to become well known.
The blog uses wordpress, it is not integrated with our forum, still some of our forum members can have a separate account there and blog if they want. It needs categories and a cleaner theme imo. We'll happily allow some of them to use it.
Switching from wordpress to a bigger CMS more article-oriented like joomla (eg: the new blackviper site) or drupal (eg: techsupportalert) doesn't make sense at the moment since it will not be used to its full potential and it is a bit harder to customize an use. geekstogo use wordpress for their main site and they're doing fine.

It would be best if we could copy the posts to put them on the front page instead of move them - that way, they would be in their own categories as well as on the home page.

We don't have to put all original content on the front page (though we might at first). If we ever become popular, the front page should only have the best content....so that way, the front page wouldn't be too buried.

I guess we could partially copy a small bit of a few of the blog posts and post a link to the rest of the entry...kind of like we do right now for news.

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
I agree with this too. I've been pondering the idea of doing some videos, I'd have to see what all goes into it first though. I have to plan these kind of things out, especially since Spring is coming up. I also like the idea of somehow coming up with deals/giveaways. That could be very lucrative for the site as a whole. This is something we really have to look at, good post Laser.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
He has valid points.

A Security Policy is needed and should be our main priority. We need to ensure our possible members that we won't sell personal information to any third party. Good or bad, I'll post one soon and it will be updated when needed.

But this also needs to be said: sites evolve over time. geeks2go and bleepingcomputer had sufficient time to evolve. They are better than our forum and it will take us more than year to reach to that level. And I am extremely optimistic with that time-frame. We are not currently up to the standards that your friend requires.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
He has valid points.

A Security Policy is needed and should be our main priority. We need to ensure our possible members that we won't sell personal information to any third party. Good or bad, I'll post one soon and it will be updated when needed.

But this also needs to be said: sites evolve over time. geeks2go and bleepingcomputer had sufficient time to evolve. They are better than our forum and it will take us more than year to reach to that level. And I am extremely optimistic with that time-frame. We are not currently up to the standards that your friend requires.

Yes, the other sites had time. I just posted this so we will get an idea of where we are going. A long-term goal, even if vague, is usually good. :) (Our ideas could also be put into an about/mission statement page.)

@Watasha: Yes. If we ever do get popular, small ads (make sure they are unobtrusive) could be put up. Then good contributers could get some money. I don't really want the whole profit mindset though...hmm.

(Probably don't put any ads up now. People might think we just want visits for money or something. :p)

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
I'm certainly not rich but I'm not opposed to possibly acquiring software to giveaway or perhaps even donate directly to the site. These are ideas that we need to explore, Laser is right a long term goal is nice. You can set smaller goals along the way so you feel as if you're actually accomplishing something.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Some companies even give you products to giveaway, if you are well-known enough to be good for marketing. Though we would need to work up the popularity. :p

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
Well I'm still working on getting some more new members to not list me as who referred them.:p

If anyone is familiar with making videos, PM me. I'd like to see what all it entails before I jump into it.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I've currently added a page containing an Agreement. The registration page also includes a link to it. Staff is welcomed to improve it.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
I've currently added a page containing an Agreement. The registration page also includes a link to it. Staff is welcomed to improve it.

Thank you for the work! BTW, could it be possible to add it to the links at the bottom (Contact us, members, etc)? I know a few people who like easy access to the privacy policy.

BTW, does the contact form send anything to the admins? The person I quoted said he never got a response when he submitted something via it.

Thanks!

P.S. So the can edit the agreement too, since they are staff? ???

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I've added our privacy policy in the footer.Also the Contact form will send a email to us.I've received the email and I will redirect him to the user agrement.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
LaserWraith said:
bogdan said:

Thank you for the work! BTW, could it be possible to add it to the links at the bottom (Contact us, members, etc)? I know a few people who like easy access to the privacy policy.

BTW, does the contact form send anything to the admins? The person I quoted said he never got a response when he submitted something via it.

Thanks!

P.S. So the can edit the agreement too, since they are staff? ???
I can't, so it must be just super mods and admins.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Allowing access to any of the above (the agreement page and the registration text) means allowing access to every editable option on this board, full access. This is admin only.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
Allowing access to any of the above (the agreement page and the registration text) means allowing access to every editable option on this board, full access. This is admin only.
Hardly all staff then, is it? :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.