What would U use for a Cloud Backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Just wondering what would you use for Cloud Backup of Computers/Laptops? To backup the whole computer?

The prices of Cloud Backup drop so much I am thinking of
Cloud Backup for each of my Computers?

I am looking at the following Cloud Backup Services,
> JustCloud,
> livedrive,
> Mozy and BackupGenie.

JustCloud seem to have good customer service. Could you provide Pro's and Con's for the above cloud backup services. Or provide one that
you are using?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I use an external USB hard drive to backup my files.
You can buy an USB external hard drive much cheaper than having to pay a online backup subscription service.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=external+hard+drive&sprefix=external+%2Caps%2C194

I personally don't trust online backup services with my data.

Thanks.:D

Reactions: Malware1 and Oxygen

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
On the External Drive! Do you use the build in backup software?
Or would you use Drive Clone 9 from FarStone?

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

Or would better to use RestoreIt2013 by Farstone?

http://www.farstone.com/software/restore-it.php

Or possibility Rollback RX

https://www.horizondatasys.com/en/products_and_solutions.aspx?ProductId=1

Could you tell me the Pro's & Con's from the above?
And how often would you backup your computer?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Moose said:
On the External Drive! Do you use the build in backup software?
Or would you use Drive Clone 9 from FarStone?

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

Or would better to use RestoreIt2013 by Farstone?

http://www.farstone.com/software/restore-it.php

Or possibility Rollback RX

https://www.horizondatasys.com/en/products_and_solutions.aspx?ProductId=1

Could you tell me the Pro's & Con's from the above?
And how often would you backup your computer?

Most external USB hard drives come with their own backup software which is already configured to be compatible.

You can also just use Windows backup feature which works very good.
It is an easy simple way to restore files and Windows configuration.

I have never used the software that you have mentioned because I have never needed them.

I just use Windows backup feature, I have it set to backup my libraries and personal folders once weekly. Create system image once monthly.

It really isn't important which backup software you use as long as you know how to use it properly.

Acronis TrueImage is really good, it has saved my system before.

You can get free OEM versions of TrueImage.

Western Digital HD
Seagate & Maxtor HD

Sometimes these will be included with external hard drives.

Enjoy!!:D

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Western Digital HD
Seagate & Maxtor HD

Which one Western Digtal HD and/o Segate & Maxtor HD
3 T= $189.00
2 T= $159.00
Not sure about shipping.

Again, this is higher than Cloud Storage!

Reactions: Koroke San

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
I use zoolz.com for cloud backup. You might still get a free storage of 100 gb from them.
However, a downside of the free subscription is the upload limit of 1 mbit/s.
I bought a piad subscription 20$/year to try (100 gb, no upload limit + some other advantages compared to the free account) and it works well.
There is also an option to set you own encryption password, which I of coarse used.

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Moose said:
JustCloud seem to have good customer service.

Once I created a free test account there and they were very intrusive in suggesting to buy the paid subscription.. so decided to take a pass with this company.
Another annoying thing, is that they are not showing the prices on their webpage, you'll only find out after signing up..

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The downside of using free online backup.

1. Limited features
2. Limited upload and download speeds.
3. Limited storage space.
4. Wait periods before you can upload or download your data.
5. Intrusive ads that can not be blocked.
6. Sometimes some features are free for a limited time then you will have to pay to access your data after the time has expired.
7. Sometimes free services will close down without any warning and all of your data is lost forever. (This has happened before).
8. Some will have hidden charges that they won't disclose until you need to use that feature.

If you want to use online backup service, I recommend to use only and paid service. Still it is cheaper to just buy a one-time price of an external hard drive and use it as your backup.

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would not use a Cloud Backup service to 'backup my whole computer'.

For the occasional use, I'd likely to be using OneDrive. Ties in nicely with Outlook, Document sharing with Web Apps, Photo sharing, upload compressed files.

Edit: SkyDrive to OneDrive

timnik

Verified
Feb 27, 2013
I also use cloud storage to back up only certain data.
To back up the whole drive I use Paragon 2013 free

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've used numerous back up through cloud like Skydrive, Dropbox, and Google Drive.

Used their free limited space but of course only your documents and other imporyant files are there.

So the best way is having an external HDD/USB as you may use as a backup and bootable equiptment.

aliloxton

Verified
Oct 11, 2013
Just wondering what would you use for Cloud Backup of Computers/Laptops? To backup the whole computer?

The prices of Cloud Backup drop so much I am thinking of
Cloud Backup for each of my Computers?

I am looking at the following Cloud Backup Services,
> JustCloud,
> livedrive,
> Mozy and BackupGenie.

JustCloud seem to have good customer service. Could you provide Pro's and Con's for the above cloud backup services. Or provide one that
you are using?

I'm using Deep Freeze Cloud Application. Its a system restore software. It keep system configuration n data protected. Try it.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
aliloxton,

> Questions, please!
> Deep Freeze Cloud Application only the pro version protect the Master Boot Records? Correct me if, I am wrong?
> Why not SandBoxie and Shadow Defender? Pro's and Con's?

Many thanks!;)

aliloxton

Verified
Oct 11, 2013
Hey Moose,
You are correct. Deep Freeze Cloud does support / protect from MBR and there is only one version out there in the market, I think. I have no any idea about SandBoxie and Shadow Defender.

Martin Cook

Jun 24, 2014
I store everything on external USB hard drive (Western Digital), i think it is the fastest way to backup your whole computer, and the interface is really really simple and friendly, just drag everything to its folder.
you can also nicely arrange everything in folders to make it look like your real desktop/computer.

I also store important things related to work and studies on my dropbox, it's good to work on if you have files you need to share or modify on real-time.
when assigning to dropbox you won't get a lot of storing space, but you can buy more space for your needs.

in my opinion- use cloud storing technology. once the external USB drive is damaged and you won't have access to you precious data.

Reactions: Koroke San

Moose

Level 22
Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Question! Being which clouds storage are most reliable and the NSA can not have access to?
Also, what is the best encryption for storage of backup and files with library's?

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Question! Being which clouds storage are most reliable and the NSA can not have access to?
Also, what is the best encryption for storage of backup and files with library's?

If NSA doesn't have access to it they will get access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.