What's Happening with Necurs, Dridex, and Locky?

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I read the news on a website, few days ago, and today I've seen , added at the end :
"UPDATED 18:55 2016-06-21
Necurs has just begun spamming a new Locky campaign, this time with a clean binary featuring updated anti-vm code, so you could probably say both Necurs and Locky are definitely not dead."

An interesting sample :
https://www.virustotal.com/fr/file/...81812d677d576f2d133d5a20a65885538a0/analysis/
15/55

I found a very good analyse/tutorial with this sample as example.
Below, a small part, to make you wonder to go and read the full analyse.

malcat wrote :
"So our first layer of obfuscation becomes clear: a variable is declared and a string value containing the body of JavaScript to be executed is built, joined together, and reversed.

While my first avenue to make this more readable was to replace the eval function at the end with console.log, a helpful friend pointed out that it was far simpler to use a quick Python one liner. So that’s what we will do!

We can write out the value of the above variable to a file by first declaring it, and then using the following:

with open(“locky_reversed.js”, “w”) as outfile:
outfile.write(avG1mfH[::-1])

This will open the variable (avG1mfH), reverse it, and write it to the file locky_reversed.js. The output should look similar to this:
3-2.jpg
It burns us! We need to js-beautify this monstrosity post-haste.
4-2.png
That’s much better. At least, until we look closer at it and realize it’s not better at all; it’s still completely unreadable. Let’s take a look at a few of the tactics used here:

First, there are a ton of variables initialized which are never referenced in the code. These are, based upon my analysis, there simply to confuse analysts who want to look at the sample and understand what it is doing. The first thing we can do is find variables which are initialized but never called later in the script and strike them down where they stand! As far as I can tell, they serve no purpose. Your methodology here will vary; I opted for the way of pain, and used Notepad++’s find/replace functionality.

Second, we will see a number of functions declared that appear to do nothing but return the same parameters fed to them. Here’s an example:
5-1.jpg
Later in the script, we’ll see the same function called with a different parameter; all it will do is return whatever parameter is fed to it when it is called. Let’s look at an example for the above function EOSu0:
"EOSu0(writ)
This will return the value “writ”. Keep this in mind as we proceed.
"

To read more (full analyse) : Return of Locky – Malcat! Mew!

:)

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Hmm anti-vm feature looks interesting, basically 1 line of code in python could easily count the number of cores/cycles assigned to run the victim OS and confirm whether it is indeed VM environment.. that easy. Nice share!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even though they implement anti-VM, still it is barely to conduct deadly attacks inside the VM so it just camouflage to confuse by the user itself in order to run on host machine.

Same goes on anti-Sandbox.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.