What's the Best Antivirus against Ransomware?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I
  • Virtualization (Shadow Defender, Sandboxie)
Personally, I think for non-expert, Shadow Defender is the easiest to learn and use.
If I have most of my personal data on a second hard disk, how will virtualization protect it from encryption? Don't these softwares virtualize only the primary partition?

H

hjlbx

If I have most of my personal data on a second hard disk, how will virtualization protect it from encryption? Don't these softwares virtualize only the primary partition?

Shadow Defender can virtualize all partitions; you can select which ones to virtualize - including external.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Shadow Defender can virtualize all partitions; you can select which ones to virtualize - including external.
but doesn't that mean I will be erasing my own data? I mean, any changes I make to my own data will disappear upon reboot.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

but doesn't that mean I will be erasing my own data? I mean, any changes I make to my own data will disappear upon reboot.

You can "commit" = save data by defining files, folders, etc - if you want to keep them. It is not recommended practice for optimum security.

The point is not to keep anything by using Shadow Defender.

Reactions: frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
got it. so if you want to go that way, you should ideally be editing your documents in google docs, or some other cloud service, rather than on your PC. That way, you have nothing to lose.

H

hjlbx

got it. so if you want to go that way, you should ideally be editing your documents in google docs, or some other cloud service, rather than on your PC. That way, you have nothing to lose.

That's it - or flash drive\external drive (just don't put the external drive into Shadow Mode).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What's the Best Antivirus against Ransomware?
The answer is COMODO
If you put Comodo Firewall in proactive mode, which runs a pretty strict HIPS, I think it will give any rogue process a run for its money.
I've been struggling for the past 15 minutes just to convert an audio file from wav format to vox format, using an unfamiliar little piece of local software that I was provided by the website I work with.
In the end, I had to grant "installer" status to all the exe processes related to the software, and I was severely warned by Comodo about the consequences of such an action.

Reactions: Xtwillight

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@cruelsister Do you mean that current software are build as anti-encryption (detection of malicious encryption) instead of anti-crypto?

Also what's the different between the two? If I were to do encryption on myself would it flag up by anti-encryption?

Many thanks. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what about combining HitmanPro.Alert and Malwarebytes anti-ransomware beta?
Is that a conflict or an overkill?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Comodo and AppGuard (technically not an antivirus, but excellent protection) ask cruelsister, she is the true expert here on MT's.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Comodo - ask cruelsister, she is the true expert here on MT's.
I am not contesting that, but many people -- like myself -- don't have the patience for Comodo's quirks and forgetfulness. I just need a set-it-and-forget it, plus common caution.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Visit this channel the guy tests all major AV's against Petya only two pass and Kaspersky is one of them:

The guy is German, so no English, but you only have to watch to understand what's going on.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Andrew999 : Kaspersky yes, but not sure for F-secure because the Deepguard can link to same concept like in Emsisoft and if one of those techniques bypass then ransomware will just successfully thrash the system.

Reactions: fabiobr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.