What's the Best Antivirus against Ransomware?

mamamia

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2016
Hi.
I am not an expert user, so I want to know beyond Emsisoft, what's the best Antivirus against Ransomware (and its new variants)?.

Last edited:
A

Alkajak

The big ones tend to have pretty good ransomware protection. ESET has the best from my testings. I've had KIS almost miss one, but caught it dynamically and disinfected with a restart. Ransomware has gotten through Norton on a few occasions for me.

Otherwise, the best tool to anti-ransomware is anti-ransomware software. Anti-viruses will keep up with ransomware as long as its users are submitting the files for analysis.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
ESET and Kaspersky have their so far good and yet matured ransomware protection which they brought comprehensive analysis too. Others are rated to be passive or ineffective where you need a complement tool.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Once the MBARW module is incorporated into MBAM premium, that and VooDoo Shield is all I will run, and that's not as far off as some might think.
For now if your brave you can try MBARW on your production system, but still the Dev's advise against it and seeing they are the authors of the software I would head their advise.
Remember it's called "Anti-Virus" and not "Anti-Ransom" for a reason, so do your Homework.
PeAcE

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Once the MBARW module is incorporated into MBAM premium, that and VooDoo Shield is all I will run, and that's not as far off as some might think.
For now if your brave you can try MBARW on your production system, but still the Dev's advise against it and seeing they are the authors of the software I would head their advise.
Remember it's called "Anti-Virus" and not "Anti-Ransom" for a reason, so do your Homework.
PeAcE
Yup, I agree. The combo would be enough. VoodooShield will block many ransomware with high detection because of its integration with VirusTotal -- and of course, it's an anti-exec.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Best tools anti-ramsonware are "Commond Sense Security Suite" and "BackUp Your Data/System Periodically Manager" :D:rolleyes:;)
Correction: correct steps to prevent is important. Not the common sense approach only.

for everyone else: no security suit is 100% fool proof when it comes to Ransomeware.

Unless its on the signatures, new variants will bypass.

Some recommend additional stuff like WinAntiRansome etc.

I can tell you from recent experience (this topic for another day), that WAR did not prevent a Tesla variant (the one that doesnt visibly change the file extensions). WinPatrol guys been notified about it already by myself today.

If you as a user are concerned about Ransomeware, you will not only need to rely on standard intenert security/av protection but other wholes you will need to plug as well: run an anti ransom solution or light virtualization etc, different approaches for different flavours.

Of course: Backup your data often, either via full backup, or full backup and then incremental/differential backups methods or just good old copy paste method.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Comodo Internet Security is very good at prevention, Panda has amazing protection against ransomware (Data Shield), Emsisoft is good too.

Special mention: Kaspersky, ESET and Qihoo 360.

Malfhas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

This subject interests me a lot.

I wanted your opinion on F-Secure and its proactive protection DeepGuard.

That he is against this type of threat?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What makes you think "What's the Best Antivirus against Ransomware?", considering the fact that no single Antivirus can detect 100% of malware / adware.

Keeping regular System Image and Data backups are key to resolving any Ransomware encounters, it's also a good idea to isolate the attack as early on as possible, even if that means using a sandboxed environment (Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing)

H

hjlbx

Hi.
I am not an expert user, so I want to know beyond Emsisoft, what's the best Antivirus against Ransomware (and its new variants)?.

If you are using Emsisoft, then you are fairly well-protected against ransomware.

That being said, in a case of particular paranoia about ransomware, there are a number of different options - each with its own mechanism of protection (the list below is not comprehensive):
  • Anti-Cryptor (HitmanPro.Alert, CryptoPrevent, WinAntiRansom)
  • Anti-executable (NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro, SecureAPlus, VooDooShield)
  • Software Restriction Policy (AppGuard)
  • Virtualization (Shadow Defender, Sandboxie)
Personally, I think for non-expert, Shadow Defender is the easiest to learn and use.

You also need to back-up your valuable personal files.

See @Huracan's guidance here. He states it so well, I need not repeat any of it: Question - How to protect myself from Ransomware and is this too much?

mamamia

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2016
So, according to your comments, ESET have the best protection against Ransomware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

@mamamia

Best protection against the vast majority of infections - from adware to Zbot - is AppGuard in Lock-Down Mode.

I have tested it extensively - both against malwares and web exploits - and it has never failed.

Until proven otherwise, it is the only security soft that I feel confident will protect the system and user data.

Virtualization protects the system too, but it will allow the exfiltration of personal data whereas AppGuard will prevent this except for data stolen via the browser\webpages.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.