Advice Request What's the best on-demand virus scanner?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
"Dr.Web CureIt" and "Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool" - just download and run.
Emsisoft Emergency Kit has to be updated once downloaded, it takes forever.
they are good but Drweb and kaspersky also take forever to scan :D literally especially on HDD of infected PCs
those cloud scanners are 10x faster for me and they require no update
it's better to scan with 2-3 online scanners -> meanwhile, kaspersky or drweb haven't finished their first scan yet
emsisoft although of slow update speed, it scans really quickly

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
emsisoft although of slow update speed

emsisoft download speed ain't slow, rather it doesn't make use of advanced technique to update. Updates work by downloading the changes since the last update, then decrypting and decrompressing the database files, merging the changes into them, and then reencrypting and recompressing them. When updates are installed, everything in the Quarantine is rescanned so that false positives can be automatically restored, which can cause extra disk usage.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
emsisoft download speed ain't slow, rather it doesn't make use of advanced technique to update. Updates work by downloading the changes since the last update, then decrypting and decrompressing the database files, merging the changes into them, and then reencrypting and recompressing them. When updates are installed, everything in the Quarantine is rescanned so that false positives can be automatically restored, which can cause extra disk usage.
true but I mean I update it once every month so it takes ~5mins to fully update, if we update everyday or week, it would take a lot less time
still, much slower than cloud scanners
EEK is the best offline scanners IMO due to its signatures and fast scanning speed
ESET is a lot better against PUPs but it's scanning speed isn't fast enough for me but still faster than kaspersky (outdated and slow as hell)

I use ESET sysrescue when the PC is unbootable

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I update it once every month so it takes ~5mins to fully update, if we update everyday or week

yea, it's really painful tbh. I used to update it occassionally but now I do update it once a day because of that nuisance. The free version only opens one HTTP connection to the update server, so downloads one file at a time.With a Pro license it unlocks downloading up to 5 files simultaneously.

ESET is a lot better against PUPs but it's scanning speed isn't fast enough for me but still better than kaspersky

yea, PUP is kaspersky's Achilles heel. Regarding speed, kaspersky scans completely in different way which is d actual cause of slow speed.

I

illumination

I haven't said anything specifically as I do know the rule. But my point was to convey the sense that he/she may get infected if he/she just only relies upon on-demand scanner. It's him/her call to take,anyway... He/she also doesn't want malware & that's why my suggestion was to use a realtime av scanner during installation process & first run. Nowhere, I've told him/her to use a Cracks/illegally gained software... but yea it has that undertone. but, I hope he/she does understand what to use & how to use...
You will have to pardon me then, as when i read and i quote,
But if you are gonna install something interesting(I think you do know what I'm saying)
It looked very much to me like illegally gained software was being condoned, which is not allowed here.

I do agree with the realtime security and suggested this myself. There are many viable options, like webroots gamer addition, or Eset IS, that are light enough to not effect FPS, yet provide much better protection then nothing at all.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
There are many viable options, like webroots gamer addition, or Eset IS, that are light enough to not effect FPS, yet provide much better protection then nothing at all.

av products have changed a lot throughout the time... at this moment most of realtime av won't slow his/her gaming performance... but for some reasons, he/she doesn't want any realtime av that's why I had to suggest that.

I

illumination

av products have changed a lot throughout the time... at this moment most of realtime av won't slow his/her gaming performance... but for some reasons, he/she doesn't want any realtime av that's why I had to suggest that.
Agreed... Gaming platforms are highly targeted, running without realtime is not really a good idea, and running on demands after the fact is really pointless on a system that may have GB's of files from games, what a nightmare that could be eradicating an infection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hi everyone. Actually I'm using Linux but I need to Windows to play some games. Also my brother and my sister are using my computer. - they are 8-9 years old - . I don't want to install real-time antivirus for higher performance so which offline virus scanner do you suggest? I had used Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, Zemana antimalware, ClamWin, EmsiSoft, EEG.. But, I don't know which one has greater database.
  1. You need to start securing Windows from the top, not the bottom.
  2. Which version of Windows are you running?
As you are the main user, I highly recommend linking your Windows 10 device to Microsoft Account so you can retain your OS license, if or when you change hardware.
  • Set-up a secure, non-guessable, 6-digit PIN for yourself. By default a linked account will request your Microsoft account password.

For your siblings, you can create 1 or more Standard user accounts. Standard accounts are limited and do not have Admin permissions, therefore limit the exposure to any unwanted modifications or malware.

Optionally, you can set-up using a Family account (aka Child accounts with cloud-managed Parental controls (ie. screen time, app usage and access etc.)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12413/microsoft-account-what-is-family

Running the latest version of Windows 10 is recommended.

cyber dude

Level 2
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
[QUOTE=" ClaimWin [/QUOTE]

Im just curious, never heard of this ClaimWin or something, but that's me, it's understandable, I'm a newbie to this. I visited their website and it shocked me to see their site is not SSL supported. It's importnat I know that much already:) How is that even possible that a tech web security company running its business on http nowdays? My firefox HTTPS Everywhere didn't let me there, I had to turn it off for that to take a look..

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
[QUOTE=" ClaimWin

Im just curious, never heard of this ClaimWin or something, but that's me, it's understandable, I'm a newbie to this. I visited their website and it shocked me to see their site is not SSL supported. It's importnat I know that much already:) How is that even possible that a tech web security company running its business on http nowdays? My firefox HTTPS Everywhere didn't let me there, I had to turn it off for that to take a look..[/QUOTE]

clamwin is probably a clamav fork.

Reactions: oldschool

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
I have tried using Emisoft and Norton, both works well on my computer. The best thing I like about this two scanner is it's simple interface and compatibility to my computer. Because it is a portable scanner, I can easily understand the scanning methods and it requires less space to be installed. So it's worth trying out!

Reactions: AtlBo and oldschool

JoseyWales

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
virustotal.com

here's a good example. Download CCleaner newest app then upload it to virustotal and see the results. Integrated adware (in this instance ZoneAlarm caught and totally eliminated the adware section of the code's installation)

Virustotal's findings for CCleaner app

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.