Advice Request malwarebytes as on-demand scanner while using norton AV

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

geek166

Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
I have norton AV and using malwarebytes only as on-demand scanner. When i had tried to install Norton, it showed malwarebytes as incompatible application and suggested to remove it but i ignored it as malwarebytes would not be running in real time with Norton and so i supposed it wouldn't conflict. Further, i added both of these applications to each other's exclusion.

From malwarebytes version 4.0, it claims to be a AV product and not just an anti-malware product to complement traditional AV as it used to claim earlier (though malwarebytes gives us the option to deregister in microsoft security center and use another AV as primary AV while it would complement it if so desired).

I am somewhat disturbed by the post about multiple AV's in below link. To paste the most relevant part of the post here - "Using more than one anti-virus program simultaneously is not advisable. Even if one of the anti-virus programs is disabled for use as a stand-alone on-demand scanner, it can still affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources."

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software

1. What do you think about this article and what has been your experience? Do you think it is prudent keep malwarebytes (even if only as on-demand scanner) along with another AV or not?
  2. I am using Norton AV trial and in case if iam not satisfied, my plan B was to run both microsoft defender and malwarebytes premium (which has real time protection) as i don't trust microsoft defender alone to protect my PC thoroughly. Do you think this would be even more riskier?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you look at the testing done here by @Shadowra I would say that Norton alone should be enough.
I wouldn't keep Malwarebytes premium, not even as on demand scanner.
A third option would be Microsoft Defender Antivirus enhanced by ConfigureDefender from @Andy Ful or DefenderUI by @danb .
Norton Power Eraser and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool are 2 great on demand scanners:

Last edited:

geek166

Thread author
Dec 3, 2021
I wouldn't keep Malwarebytes premium, not even as on demand scanner.
Overall, malwarebytes might not have earned high rating in independent AV tests. But there are some modules within it that are exemplary. For example, it's web protection module blocks more malicious sites than any other AV (i regularly visit torrent sites).

Reactions: Moonhorse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.