What's your average annual cost for Windows protection?

Your annual cost of security software for Windows?

• $0 / FREE

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Up to $20

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Up to $40

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Up to $60

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Up to $80

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Up to $100

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • More than $100

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
I purchased Norton Antivirus Plus from Amazon India for 899 INR ($11) for 1PC/3 Years, three months ago. This month, when I visited this Norton web page Link, it said "Upgrade to Norton 360 for free," so I went through the process and upgraded for free.This month, I was upgraded from Norton Antivirus to Norton Standard, then repeated the process again and upgraded from Norton Standard to Norton Deluxe 3 PC for free.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I am a security app junkie so I spent about $75 in the past 12 months, part of which is next year's sunk cost (lifetime VoodooShield).

Reading through this thread made me decide NOT to recommend the purchase of stock in AV companies. (lots of freeby fans)

I still remember -- from days of yore -- when the Avs I bought were on floppies, in pretty boxes, in a brick & mortar computer store. Dr. Solomon was one of the AVs I remember buying.

In those days I spent about $30/year, but dollars back then (1980's) were worth almost quadruple what they are worth now -- so I have actually economized, right? (~$118 in 2022 dollars back then, versus $75 in 2022 dollars nowadays.) 🥴

VAR_123

Level 1
Verified
Dec 4, 2021
I am a security app junkie so I spent about $75 in the past 12 months, part of which is next year's sunk cost (lifetime VoodooShield).

Reading through this thread made me decide NOT to recommend the purchase of stock in AV companies. (lots of freeby fans)

I still remember -- from days of yore -- when the Avs I bought were on floppies, in pretty boxes, in a brick & mortar computer store. Dr. Solomon was one of the AVs I remember buying.

In those days I spent about $30/year, but dollars back then (1980's) were worth almost quadruple what they are worth now -- so I have actually economized, right? (~$118 in 2022 dollars back then, versus $75 in 2022 dollars nowadays.) 🥴
Have you finally decided on an antivirus app that you like?

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Have you finally decided on an antivirus app that you like?
#1: Kaspersky, but won't use it *until*.
#2: WiseVector StopX, but won't use it *until*.
#3: G-Data, but no need now.
Now running #4: K7 Total Security (light, tight, just right.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back on topic: Of my latest 12-months security expenditures, $10 was for K7 & $15 for G-Data.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

For the last three years, I am running a free all Microsoft security setup, which is based on white listing and frankly I don't see how this setup could be bypassed :)

1. Early Launch Anti malware allowing GOOD only
2. Running Basic user with Standard Rights, with UAC set to deny elevation of unsigned
3. Microsoft Defender hardened with GPO identical to ConfigureDefender settings on MAXimum protection level
4. Windows Defender Application control for user folders allowing only Microsoft signed + Macrium Reflect free (image backup) + Syncback free (data backup) to update.
5. Software Restriction Policies for Basic user blocking risky file extensions identical to SimpleWindowsHardening plus Microsoft recommended block rules (link)
6. Selection of recommended hardening of Microsoft Security Baseline (2019) which did not interfere with daily usage plus CMD + Wscript disabled
7. Defender Core Isolation enabled and Defender Exploit Protection code integrity enabled for Explorer, Svchost, Powershell, Microsoft Office and Edge
8. Smartscreen ON (in Explorer and Edge) and MD Controlled Folders ON (with all data folders and partitions added)
9. Edge hardened by tweaking the registry (so I can change them as basic user), like enabling AppContainer and disabling most site permissions with build-in Anti-Tracking on STRICT
10. Router with TrendMicro badware filters, NextDNS DoH with Google safe browsing and privacy filters of NextDNS, AdguardDNS and OISD enabled (allowing affilate tracking links)

Last edited by a moderator:

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
#1: Kaspersky, but won't use it *until*.
#2: WiseVector StopX, but won't use it *until*.
#3: G-Data, but no need now.
Now running #4: K7 Total Security (light, tight, just right.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back on topic: Of my latest 12-months security expenditures, $10 was for K7 & $15 for G-Data.
Have you tested ESET? K7 was my Primary AV solution but recently I start using ESET due to I'm unable to upgrade my existing K7 TS license to it's MAT version.

Reactions: bellgamin

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Have you tested ESET?
Not lately. However, I do know that ESET is a primo top-tier AV -- one of the very best for higher-risk users.
K7 was my Primary AV solution but recently I start using ESET due to I'm unable to upgrade my existing K7 TS license to it's MAT version.
MAT is an AI. IMO, AIs need "training" for a good while before they become truly useful. I have MAT on my K7 TS and it's unnoticeable & unconfigurable. Hopefully, some months down the road, MAT will have "learned" enough to be a valuable security component of K7. By that time, your K7 TS will likely be updated so as to have MAT operational. In the meantime, I doubt you are missing much.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.