Whats your experience with Bitdefender system performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuga

Dec 20, 2014
Hello everyone
My opinion: very disappointed.
I use IS 2015 on 3 machines: xp x86, 7 x64 and 8.1 x64
On the bright side: several tools, super effective tracking system and heuristic engine, and ... free for 6 months ( that's why I've tried it ).
On the negative side: XP system creeps like a turtle; 7 faster, but still very heavy; 8.1 fast, but I catch a Rootkit ( my first in many years !! firewall's fault?! ); it's incompatible with SiteAdvisor Free ( but with a little trick I can make it work ); Firefox will often down on XP; Search Advisor does not work ( never warned me in known infected pages like WOT and SiteAdvisor do ); firewall is to much automatic and does not provide enough information ( Autopilot?! what is this? how to control inbound and outbound connections? ), support simply does not work, so .... I don't understand how this program is always first in the tests.
I took advantage of a promotion and after seeing the rankings, I gave it a chance, but I confess that I'm disappointed and when the 6 months trial period expire I will go back to my old configuration, which never gave me problems and is very effective: Privatefirewall (super light and effective) and Avira Free Antivirus ( very effective ).

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
Hello everyone
I gave it a chance, but I confess that I'm disappointed and when the 6 months trial period expire I will go back to my old configuration, which never gave me problems and is very effective:

Odd, you are using a program you don't like and didn't cost anything, have a better set up that suits you but still going to struggle on ......... why?

Reactions: nissimezra

Tuga

Dec 20, 2014
Odd, you are using a program you don't like and didn't cost anything, have a better set up that suits you but still going to struggle on ......... why?

I have changed it because of my children. They have Windows 7 and 8.1 on their laptops, and they, like most young people of today, are not interested in software. They didn't have patience to analyze, or monitoring alerts, from an antivirus, firewall or other software control. The only think they want is to have an internet connection and play. They want all automatic. Alerts of any kind of programs...are boring. So, because I was tired of of their complaints, I installed this solution that is little intrusive. But unfortunately I think is not the best.
About XP, I'm going to build a new 8.1 machine.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
My experience with Bitdefender was, how do i say this, weird and different.

When I first installed the 2014 it was very heavy. I could hardly browse at all. So, I decided to uninstall it.

Weeks later, I decided to give the 2014 version another chance. And to my surprise, it didn't feel as heavy as before. I don't know what happened between the first time I tried it to then or if I did something different, but it felt much lighter than before. It wasn't as light as something like ESET but it was still better than before.

From what I have read in a forum some weeks ago, you have do a full scan with Bitdefender in order for it to feel light.
However I don't know if this is true or not.
Very much agree.

Here's my methodology to make any Av lighter:

1. Update the signatures.
2. Do a full system scan.
3. Defragment.

Then your Av will be lighter. Almost all AV lightens up after a week of a month of usage.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I use Bitdefender 2015 on 3 machines, no browser slowdown, pretty light to use. I had boot slowdown with my Win 7 machine but removing the early boot scan solved that as well ( GUI>Antivirus>Check the custom box>Miscellaneous tab>Uncheck Early boot scan).

hi, I install Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 last night, just to give another oportunity, and Im very surprised.

it can be as light as ESET :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: yep, on my machine he run fast and smooth, and the ram consumption fell:eek::eek::eek:.

wow, Ijust configure bitdefender removing the early boot scan, (it will be the secret for good performance?????)

maniac2003

Level 2
Sep 20, 2012
I'm running the Bitdefender 2015 Total Security on most of the home systems right now.
Emsisoft Anti-Malware was running out after two years and although I was very happy with Emsisoft the lack of a good deal made me switch.
The Bitdefender license I got is for 5 users, unlimited devices. So a total package to cover every device in the house.

Performance is ok, but I do believe it's heavier than Emsisoft en Eset which I ran on my laptop as is was incompatible (touchpad drivers) with Emsisoft. No major slowdown when everything is booted up. While booting it is a tad slower but I realize that this has extra components in comparison to Emsisoft. Eset still wins overall.
What I hate the most is the lack of user notification when something is found. Auto-pilot is off but not for Bitdefender's decision making.

Next time I'm going for Eset or Emsisoft and maybe we'll throw Kaspersky in the mix.

Tuga

Dec 20, 2014
After some experience, I can confirm that Bitdefender IS 2015, with SiteAdvisor free, causes a lot of instability in Firefox. Is preferable to disable SiteAdvisor. It's a pity.:(

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
After some experience, I can confirm that Bitdefender IS 2015, with SiteAdvisor free, causes a lot of instability in Firefox. Is preferable to disable SiteAdvisor. It's a pity.:(

It is more likely to be a conflict with a Firefox add-on, try starting FF in safe mode (add-ons disabled) and see if that makes a difference, you can then enable the add-ons one at a time to find the culprit.
I use Firefox with the site advisor and there are no problems.

Tuga

Dec 20, 2014
It is more likely to be a conflict with a Firefox add-on, try starting FF in safe mode (add-ons disabled) and see if that makes a difference, you can then enable the add-ons one at a time to find the culprit.
I use Firefox with the site advisor and there are no problems.

I did exactly as you did and that's how I have found out that it's incompatible with SiteAdvisor. I have this problem only on XP x86. In dont have any problems on other systems. It seems that the old good XP is doomed. :(

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
It does make you wonder just how much effort they are putting into maintaining it for XP? It works but it is rough around the edges. :(

Alex.Bese

Dec 29, 2014
Using Bitdefender on my Desktop PC and my Laptop, no slowdown felt. Ironically, I felt more slowdown with Kaspersky Internet Security 2015

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T OC, 8 GB RAM 1600 OC Mhz, 120 Gb SSD, nvidia gtx 660 OC
Laptop: Asus X550L Intel I5, 8 GB RAM, nvidia 740M

I think Bitdefender Total Security 2015-version nailed it finally, no more slowdown a lot of bugs fixed.. some fresh air for bitdefender users. Cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.