What's your opinons on NordVPN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I occasionally travel, and when I do a lot of my services act up if I'm not at 'home base'

So I invested in a VPN, I tried one earlier but it was kinda sketchy. Payment was kind of weird and support was non-existent. So I looked into Nord VPN.

I like it, I run Windows 7 on some machines and there's an issue with drivers. Took an hour or so to update everything to what I needed, but kudos to the Nord VPN team. They helped me every step.

I'm waiting for my other services period to run out then I'll switch over to NordVPN.

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
Bought the 2 year deal couple months ago, which is a shame because they had that 72% promo active then & few days later started a 3 year promo at 77% discount, about $100. I've been Expressvpn user mostly before & their sub runs down this December. Main reason for switch is cost, Expressvpn is best among the lot but somewhat pricey for me. Did some research & chose to invest in Nord finally. Its very good & a big plus is their support, both live chat & ticket based. I have windscribe free additionally & they take days to answer. The vpns who keep year based subs will always be effective & better service provider than those selling long term subscription at heavy discount. Not disappointed yet with Nordvpn & quite impressed with some features Nord offer. They brought in-browser extensions now which is a hit with me!

Two other vpns I also shortlisted were Vyprvpn & Liquidvpn. The latter is a gaming vpn mostly with dedicated high speed game servers @ 1-10Gbps.

browneylad

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
I use NordVPN too. No complaints so far. My subscription runs out soon though and was thinking about trying Trust Zone.

Trust zone is torrent dedicated. They got quite cheap plans but not so elite rating compared to likes of Expressvpn or Nordvpn. Servers will be udp request flooded almost all the time so speed can slow down. Hope you use the 3 day trial well, it was capped by data limit.

Nordvpn currently has a gleam widget contest on their blog. Suggest you participate. Who knows you can be lucky there! ;)

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
Just a follow up of my post. It's been a month that I've used NordVPN and i can confirm that they are very good. Speed is fast (for a VPN), the Chrome and Firefox extensions work very well (no leak), the software and apps are well designed and their support is efficient and available 24/7. Very happy of my choice. Thanks to all for your advice (y)

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
How much the subscription?

The "standard" prices on are 11,95$ a month, 69$ for a year and 79$ for two years (currently on sale) as seen on their order page. There is also a good promo for a 3 years subscription at 99$ at this page. I suggest you to try their 3 days trial first (it's what i did and it's a real trial with no credit card needed or other BS) that is on this page, as i think VPNs performance might be different between users based on their hardware and location.

From what I've read, ExpressVPN is supposed to have the best speed and reliability but is pricey (99,95$ for 15 months, and that's the current sale) and AirVPN is supposed to be the best privacy wise, even though their are based in Italy (Fourteen Eyes). Windscribe is good but fairly new and probably has the best quality for the price (they have a free version and there is a lifetime sale at 29,40$ over here), but are not really considered as "premium" as the others mentioned.

Anyway my personal experience is limited to only NordVPN and Windscribe as those are the only ones I've tried.

Hope i helped ;)

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
By the way if someone is interested in a good VPN , try Mullvad. I use it for 2 months never had a problem with him.

Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I haven't tried NordVPN but I am using Windscribe and OkayFreedom and I like them both. I have also tried ProtonVPN and that was nice too. Windscribe also has Netflix servers in US and UK which can be used for Netflix. All 3 Windscribe, OkayFreedom and ProtonVPN say they don't collect logs too. Windscribe location is in Canada, OkayFreedom (Germany), ProtonVPN (Switzerland). I would personally say the most secure is OkayFreedom and ProtonVPN. Due to Windscribe being in Canada their privacy regulations I guess aren't as good.

Asr07

Level 1
Oct 4, 2017
I use several VPN providers: Express, ibVPN, Nord, PIA, IPVanish. NordVPN is clearly a good choice. There are plenty of servers to choose from, the speed is good and the apps are nice.

Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thread author
just 1 concern about this company is : their base is in USA not Panama....:cautious:
NordVPN Review - What You Should Know | Restore Privacy

They are indeed based in Panama. Turns out it's just their payment processor that is based in the US.

They have updated the article since then with the following:

Clarification – NordVPN has provided us with more information on this issue. According to NordVPN, their service is still based in Panama, but CloudVPN Inc. serves as “a proxy based in the US, which in a nutshell acts only as our payment processor and has nothing to do with the actual service.”

Reactions: omidomi

Joshua33

Jun 25, 2018
Used nord before but had very low speeds. I now use euvpnprotect.com. No additional software and very good speeds. very satisfied

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Overall it's a decent VPN.
Speed & connection stability will be relative from a user to another, especially speed.
For me I get almost the same speed as I get without it.
Regarding connection stability, in my experience I don't even remember last time it randomly disconnected, I usually leave it overnight connected, and in the morning it's still connected.
The kill switch works, for me.

The only irritating problem is that it's written in .NET so it's quite heavy in both RAM Usage, and the overall ability to use the program, the UI can get noticeably laggy especially the Right Click Icon from taskbar, but that usually happens once after the first launch of the program, or after you use the right click menu once. RAM Usage currently is 181MB, noticed it can go upto 220+MB, it's not a big deal (for me) but would be for someone else, especially since this is just a VPN.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Klettern

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2018
Overall it's a decent VPN.
RAM Usage currently is 181MB, noticed it can go upto 220+MB, it's not a big deal (for me) but would be for someone else, especially since this is just a VPN.

You realize it encrypts your entire traffic? I think it is reasonable.

Now about NordVPN, I am using it for a couple of months and I would recommend it. A couple of points:

1) you said that you need browser extensions. They work well, the only thing is is you won't get exact IP if you reconnect to the same country because it shuffles the servers. But if you don't need that then it is fine. Or you can always use an app to choose a particular server you want.

2) you said you wanted to use torrents. While it does not support port forwarding (which could be seen as a minus), it works fine with SOCKS. Or with torrents -- it will just redirect to its specialized servers I think. Just don't forget to set up a KillSwitch in case of a disconnect (even though I didn't have any) and never turn off the app before you completely quit your torrent app.

3) about speeds: I think it will vary. My experience is identical to Bleak's, barely any speed loss. Of course, if you are from Europe and you want to connect to Australia, then it will drop. But if you choose the server near you then it should be fine.

4) I don't know if it is relevant to you, but Nord has a feature called SmartPlay (I think this is how it is called) and it allows to stream geo-blocked content, like Netflix from US in Europe and you don't have to connect to US server.

Anyway, there is always a free trial if you want to try. Or of course there are loads of other VPNs, it is your call. Back when I was searching I found this coupon ZEROLOGS3Y and it gave me 77% off, maybe it still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.