WhatsApp updates it's privacy policy; data sharing with FB

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WhatsApp asking them to either accept its new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy by February 8 or lose access to the app.

You can't stop WhatsApp sharing info with Facebook​

One of the major changes envisaged relates to its data collection. “When a user forwards media within a message, we store that media temporarily in encrypted form on our servers to aid in more efficient delivery of additional forwards,” WhatsApp said on its site.

The new terms of service and privacy policy also makes sharing information with Facebook mandatory for WhatsApp users. Prior to the update, existing users were provided with the option to choose not to have their WhatsApp account information shared with Facebook.

Read more here - WhatsApp Legal Updates

--
Inb4; Telegram, Signal, Wire.

For the millions that rely on WhatsApp, it's not as easy as saying just to "Switch to.."

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does this mean any change for those that use WhatsApp but not Facebook?
I believe so. You need to accept before February 8th, 2021. WhatsApp is under the Facebook umbrella.

You sure Telegram is great? Read below

Fortunately, this is disabled by default.
Without dismissing the "bug", it does not make Telegram a bad choice for users.

One flaw doesn't make the company evil, or less great. (edited).

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I believe so. You need to accept before February 8th, 2021. WhatsApp is under the Facebook umbrella.

Fortunately, this is disabled by default.
Without dismissing the "bug", it does not make Telegram a bad choice for users.

One flaw doesn't make the company evil, or less great. (edited).
Actually, Telegram is not safe to use

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't see your point.

(edited)

A common theme with the previous links, both are directed towards sharing data with the others (location sharing and public group chats). The more data you expose yourself to, the higher the risk.

If an agency requests data from Google, it does not make Google unsafe.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 78429

For the millions that rely on WhatsApp, it's not as easy as saying just to "Switch to.."
More than 400 millions indians use whatsapp and have a most of them will instantly click Accept button. And you can not make them switch to another service just because Whatsapp changed its privacy policy, i have tried it. They will come up with very famous quote "I have nothing to hide".

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Wait a second! Didn't some EU court, some time ago, forbid Facebook sharing/exchanging WhatsApp user data? I can already see headlines EU fines Facebook for...
Looks like there won't be any headlines because this isn't affecting users in EU.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
More than 400 millions indians use whatsapp and have a most of them will instantly click Accept button. And you can not make them switch to another service just because Whatsapp changed its privacy policy, i have tried it. They will come up with very famous quote "I have nothing to hide".
Declined the t&c at first but my muscle memory clicked on agree the second time. Might be looking at alternatives...

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Nice comparison of Messaging Apps

Signal, Threema, Wickr and Wire seems to be the best among privacy and security. Threema is a paid app, so that won't be popular anytime soon. Among the other 3, Signal is the most popular and the only one that seems to give Telegram and Whatsapp a tough fight.

It would be nice to see a comparison of features between Signal, Telegram & Whatsapp.

As far as data collected goes, here's a comparison
WhatsApp

• Device ID
  • User ID
  • Advertising Data
  • Purchase History
  • Coarse Location
  • Phone Number
  • Email Address
  • Contacts
  • Product Interaction
  • Crash Data
  • Performance Data
  • Other Diagnostic Data
  • Payment Info
  • Customer Support
  • Product Interaction
  • Other User Content
Facebook Messenger

• Purchase History
  • Other Financial Info
  • Precise Location
  • Coarse Location
  • Physical Address
  • Email Address
  • Name
  • Phone Number
  • Other User Contact Info
  • Contacts
  • Photos or Videos
  • Gameplay Content
  • Other User Content
  • Search History
  • Browsing History
  • User ID
  • Device ID
  • Product Interaction
  • Advertising Data
  • Other Usage Data
  • Crash Data
  • Performance Data
  • Other Diagnostic Data
  • Other Data Types
  • Browsing History
  • Health
  • Fitness
  • Payment Info
  • Photos or Videos
  • Audio Data
  • Gameplay Content
  • Customer Support
  • Other User Content
  • Search History
  • Sensitive Info
  • iMessage
  • Email address
  • Phone number Search history
  • Device ID
Signal

• None. (The only personal data Signal stores is your phone number, and it makes no attempt to link that to your identity.)
Telegram

• Contact Info
  • Contacts
  • User ID

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Wait a second! Didn't some EU court, some time ago, forbid Facebook sharing/exchanging WhatsApp user data? I can already see headlines EU fines Facebook for...
I was thinking the same thing @Marko :)
Looks like there won't be any headlines because this isn't affecting users in EU.

giphy.gif

Seems like everyone wants a piece of the information pie these days via data mining. Sadly.. Its getting pretty hard to keep that digital 'footprint' small now-a-days. Doesn't matter where the companies are US, UK, EU, Asia etc etc. Just about everyone (or so it seems) wants to do a little somethin' for data mining/collecting.

~Brain

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

Just today, I got scam messages offering more money just by working for 10min to 1 hr and another messages just after I opted to Agree to Whatsapp's new T&C.
Will be migrating within a month.
Now I will never accept Whatsapp's new T&C. I thought that I will use Signal and Whatsapp side by side becuase some of my friends aren't switching. But after this I think they will switch to Telegram or Signal.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Well, looks like I'm the only one that won't switch. I'm from EU country so I don't really see the reason to switch, but I completely understand everyone that wants to. If I was outside EU, I would too.

Also, it looks like we completely forgot Viber. It has fair share of users here; I'd say it's right behind WhatsApp.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.