Advice Request Where would I go to get into cybersecurity?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

byronbytes

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 30, 2022
My interest for cybersecurity has been peaking recently alsongside my normal programming/software development, and I was wondering where I could go to start learning. I also hear that pentesting can earn you some money, which would also be a good way to start earning some income. If anyone knows any good learning sites or anything that would be useful, let me know.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Hello byronbytes. The field cybersecurity is pretty large. There are many subfields you could go into and many related fields. Maybe check out what interests you most.
E.g. apart from pentesting there is reverse engineering, malware anlysis, forensics, incident response, detection engineering, data recovery, law enforcement, networks, software development, security consultance, hardware design, os architecture, journalism, cryptography, machine learning, research ...

Tell us which topics you want to got into and we might be able to help you with actual resources.

What is your current experience and skill level?
Many of those jobs require some knowledge about programming. If you really have no idea of the direction at all and no prior knowledge, learning a programming language can be a good choice.

F

ForgottenSeer 95367

I was wondering where I could go to start learning.
I would start with a CCNA. Network knowledge is fundamental to just about any area of IT, including auditing. INE offers the best bang for the buck - an annual subscription with access to much material.

I recommend that you watch the Network Engineer Academy on Youtube (Jorge Armando Navarro).

I also hear that pentesting can earn you some money, which would also be a good way to start earning some income.
If you pick a job based upon salary, the probability is high that you will be unhappy in the long run. That said, you need to earn an OSCP as that is the most recognized and requested entry-level certification for pentesting. There is also the eJPT (INE) and PNPT (TCM). These too, are foundational.

If pentesting is what you want to do, then Python will be essential. Coursera offers a 1 year Python course by Rice University.

Just a bit of advice: you do NOT need 10 certifications. And remember, the best qualified candidate does not get the job, it is the best interviewer that gets the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
There is one thread here on MT that I can highly recommend to read as it's for sure on the topic, and contains a whole deal of interesting experiences and tips. It's from 2012 until today 2022.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.