Which 3rd-party browser has best security features?

Which 3rd-party browser has best security features?

• Google Chrome

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 30 40.0%
  • Yandex Browser beta

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • All the major browsers are secure enough

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I sandbox my browser, so I don't care

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Slimjet

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Cent Browser

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

When it comes to browsers, I find it comes down to which one works best on the system and which one works best for me personally. On my personal system I use Edge. That keeps things simple. Simplicity is more important than everything else as I already know my system has extremely high security with just AppGuard.

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
For me, chrome is good for security because if there are any vulnerabilities found in chrome I'm sure chrome fix these vulnerabilities but other browsers not having the same approach to vulnerabilities. Sandbox + browser or VM browsing ;)

You're not going to get much feedback on Yandex. Nobody uses it here. On top of it, if you research Yandex browser vulnerabilities and such, you might rethink your decision to swtich and return to Chrome, Edge or whatever you were using previously. Yandex browser has vulnerabilities that are discovered but go unreported, whereas Chrome, Edge have bounty programs. Yandex is not that great if you dig deeper.
(y)

D

Deleted member 65228

if you research Yandex browser vulnerabilities and such, you might rethink your decision to swtich and return to Chrome, Edge or whatever you were using previously.
According to @Sunshine-boy the Yandex browser contains some sort of HIPS feature which either uses a device driver or injects code into running processes. I don't think any browser should be doing anything of the sort, it is a browser, not a security product!

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Sandboxie + FireFox + Tor here :p

...and carsten ibsen wrote: Hello,I use Google Chrome & Pale Moon with various Extensions/Add-Ons:love:
I also use Tor & different VPN`s:)

If you switch from Tor to Ultrasurf (desktop version (is portable!), and Chrome extension) - your PC fan will become quiet, and your CPU load/utilization will drop notably...

About Ultrasurf, you have to read some new posts on the page 1, ¨Posts #11, #14, #19 here: Extensions/add-ons is the future, software is the past

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
According to @Sunshine-boy the Yandex browser contains some sort of HIPS feature which either uses a device driver or injects code into running processes. I don't think any browser should be doing anything of the sort, it is a browser, not a security product!
Driver.
It primarily is to protect browser from unwanted changes, and to block keylogging and screen capturing.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Chrome and FF in my opinion, since all other forks have either just "addons" that one can add manually to achieve same features, or the tweaks are minimal. The main issue of all other forks is the fact that they are builds behind its main counterparts. Yandex is an example.

On a side note, qutebrowser is also secure but its a totally different browser.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Yandex Beta IMO has the best security. Yandex protect is sandboxing the whole browser. Prevents 'tampering' of browser processes, directories and cache. Blocks exploits of the browser and scans downloads with 2 antivirus engines. (Yandex+Avira)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I don't believe Yandex injects, Yandex Protect is a distinct process of it own that protects the browser processes, directories, cache and scans downloaded files with Yandex(Agnitum)+Avira. Think of it like a free HMPA built into the browser, well in this case, a second process running with the browser.

We've done some lab testing and it's impressive. Completely blocking exploits and browser tampering. You can't even run a browser cleanup tool unless it's whitelisted in Yandex Protect section first. It's quite robust! Some of the engineers at work have switched to it after testing it in the lab but most importantly, it has a really good speed dial and is the fastest browser I have seen. DNSCrypt built in, out of the box with DNS protection and forwarding are a huge bonus too!

I suspect for people in the USA, Yandex Beta might be safer and more private. Certainly wouldn't expect any whitelisting of US Intel tools/exploits in Yandex, the opposite in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Why not !?

2017-12-06_03h38_23.png

:unsure:

I don't know as I never used Yandex. In theory these "Which is best" threads are supposed to enlighten with lively open debate, but in practical terms all they do is cause nothing but problems because way too many people are emotionally attached to their points of view, have personal relationships with their security softs, or have issues with particular members. It's true. Just watch how very easily certain people assign their own meaning to another person's posts, become offended and enraged, and the forum drama begins. Other times those people use these type of threads as jump-off points to start attacks or other forum drama. You know it because it has happened to you personally. It happens with regular frequency here at MT and at Wilders.

As far as Yandex, it is a branch browser. In the end I always switched back from one of the branch browsers to the main ones for one annoying reason or another.

Chrome & Edge. Mozilla has to play catch-up. Even though they are in the process of doing that, Chrome & Edge are ahead of them in the AppContainer dept.

Having a log of add-ons & plug-ins should not be the measuring stick of a browser, but unfortunately that is how a lot of people choose a browser. I use 1 or 2 and that is all, but I would bet the average member here is using 5 or more - and the more you add, the more you mess with and lessen the browser security. Poorly implemented browser add-ons and extensions causes more problems than the added features and protections the claim to provide. However, another pointless debate no doubt some will scream "Foul !"

Some people will add so many add-ons\extensions to their browsers that they actually break the browser or make it practically unusable. It's ridiculous.

Like Windows, when it comes to browser add-ons\extensions, less is more.

Here comes the smack talk. I am fully qualified on the topic since I am a U.S. citizen. I'm also a privacy advocate. Not stupid privacy, but common sense privacy. World governments are basically trying to enact rules such that the digital realm has no reasonable expectation of privacy because they cannot handle the volume of data nor the encryption. To me that defies all common sense. The FBI can hack your PC, in your home now. Your PC, in your home, has no privacy. However, your phone, cannot be wire tapped. That requires a $30,000+ wire tap requiring a federal judge to sign off on. Defies all common sense doesn't it ? So, if you are on your PC and having Skype or other App calls while the FBI is hacking the PC, those App calls would be inadmissible under current federal law - assuming the FBI did not also get a federal judge to also authorize monitoring of any Skype or phone app calls. But it is unclear what the courts would rule on certain other collected ancillary data in the absence of such a warrant. Mind-boggling. What an awesome age to be a legal scholar and to take on such cases and argue them in court. Sucky to be the guy in the defendant's chair and get the barrister bill though.

If one is so paranoid about U.S. intelligence, then one should stay off all digital devices - because it is a battle that one will never win. Even if one is a member of the clandestine services and knows how the agency programs work, one is not going to win. Period. I know a thing or two about U.S. intelligence agencies. And foreign intelligence agencies. The agency will win, and you will lose. If the agency has a mandate, then it will accomplish that mandate. No matter what. Period. End of game. It's just the methods that differ from nation state to nation state. While the surveillance state may be unacceptable for many, it has been written into law for well over a decade. Too little, too late. When everybody had the chance to actually do something about it, nobody did a damn thing. YOU let it happen. I wrote letters to my political leaders and representatives stating the laws were illegal. If 199,999,999 other people wrote such letters too, those Acts never would have became law. What can I tell you, Americans are political and legislative process ignorant, dumb, stupid and - worst of all - negligent and lazy. They let it all happen to themselves. So they deserve every last bit - because they have nobody to blame but themselves. The American citizen that takes government seriously and be involved is the exception, and not the rule.

You can say "Don't Tread on Me," but if you let them - and by them I mean those that govern - "Tread on You" that's your own damn fault. Give them the power to legally tread on you, then there is no use in complaining about it. In that case, the solution is a personal one, and it is called "Acceptance."

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
...and carsten ibsen wrote: Hello,I use Google Chrome & Pale Moon with various Extensions/Add-Ons:love:
I also use Tor & different VPN`s:)

If you switch from Tor to Ultrasurf (desktop version (is portable!), and Chrome extension) - your PC fan will become quiet, and your CPU load/utilization will drop notably...

About Ultrasurf, you have to read some new posts on the page 1, ¨Posts #11, #14, #19 here: Extensions/add-ons is the future, software is the past

Ultrasurf (like Cent browser) is developed by the chinese.

Ultrasurf - Wikipedia

7 Chromium Based Browsers With Extra Features • Raymond.CC

According to the below report at reddit Ultrasurf seems to overstate its claims and have issues

Ultrasurf: the definitive review (An analysis of Ultrasurf by Jacob Appelbaum of the Tor Project) • r/netsec

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That seems like a reasonable logic except if you dig deeper on Yandex you will find the criminal elements target it. Of course Yandex browser is not going to have nearly as many vulns as Chrome itself because it is built upon it.

I am out of this discussion. You guys have to learn and figure it out for yourselves. Research it.
@Lockdown, Could you link to some of your finds on Yandex browser and criminals targeting it, or at least say which sites are good to search?
So far, the only thing I found is that cyber criminals like to use yandex email addresses. Not surprising, since there is no lack of Russian hackers, and law enforcement over there is not very draconian.
But I couldn't find info about Yandex browser being compromised.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.