Advice Request Which Android AV Has The Best Signatures?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which Android AV Has The Best Signatures

• Bitdefender

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Avast

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sophos

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Avira

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • ESET

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
This is the first I've heard of it. I just installed it on my phone and it looks interesting. It crashed before completing the first scan. But, I ran another scan, which completed, when I reopened the app.
the dev was commenting here on the latest malware test (avc or avtest not sure) about how they haven't changed anything since last year and still scored well

Reactions: roger_m

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Signature-based AVs might fail to detect obfuscated APK samples.
Many APK malware are obfuscated and use anti-debugging techniques.
Such protections not only prevent code inspection/modification, but also uninstall the application if such debugging is detected.

Again, sometimes every single string is encrypted with a custom algorithm, basically every reference to a string is replaced by a long array of integers.

You get the best detection by using static and dynamic analysis techniques and as said above, static analysis methods using traditional signatures might fail to detect some specific malware.

Dynamic analysis detects the behaviour of malicious apps while the app is running so it can detect the behaviour of a malware regardless the signatures.

Then talking about the best signatures has just a partial meaning if the Android AV doesn't use also an effective behavioral/dynamic analysis method.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Signature-based AVs might fail to detect obfuscated APK samples.
Many APK malware are obfuscated and use anti-debugging techniques.
Such protections not only prevent code inspection/modification, but also uninstall the application if such debugging is detected.

Again, sometimes every single string is encrypted with a custom algorithm, basically every reference to a string is replaced by a long array of integers.

You get the best detection by using static and dynamic analysis techniques and as said above, static analysis methods using traditional signatures might fail to detect some specific malware.

Dynamic analysis detects the behaviour of malicious apps while the app is running so it can detect the behaviour of a malware regardless the signatures.

Then talking about the best signatures has just a partial meaning if the Android AV doesn't use also an effective behavioral/dynamic analysis method.
Ok, so which or what do you recommend for effective protection?

Reactions: tim one

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't use Android, switch to iOS. Malware everywhere even in the Play Store.

Reactions: CyberTech

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I don't use any av-software...my google pixel + monthly security patches + google play protect will be enough (y)

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
I installed Kaspersky (as I still have room for 4 more devices) on sister’s LG g4. Not pleased with it. She said that it killed her battery. I bet she uninstalled it by now

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.