Advice Request Which Android VPN would you recommend with Effective Kill Switch?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Rebsat

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I was looking for Android VPNs on Reddit and someone posted that he just wasted his time buying the premium version of ExpressVPN only to find out they don't support the network lock (Kill Switch) feature on Android. He got hit with a copyright warning from his ISP because ExpressVPN on Android doesn't have a Kill Switch and therefore his online activities and IP address are exposed during disconnection/reconnection.

What do you recommend guys? Is there any good Android VPN with effective Kill Switch? Thanks.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, you are right that ExpressVPN for android do NOT have a Kill Switch.

There are 3 ways which you can overcome this if you still want to use ExpressVPN for android with a Kill Switch. Read my below post #8

Check the phone's VPN setting first and, secondly, just make sure you are not using HUAWEI's EMUI interface

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I tried the free Tunnelbear VPN Kill Switch and it's NOT effective

VyprVPN's Kill Switch works and I'm using it

If you want to use in China my advise is don't use the above two VPNs

Also, tested SaferVPN Kill Switch and its NOT working on my android phone

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
F-Secure Freedome comes with a dedicated Kill Switch and the issues with Huawei is fixed when using Android version above 8 and 8.1.
Some Huawei devices running on Android 8 and 8.1 have a firmware bug that in some rare cases may cause a momentary traffic leak outside the VPN tunnel during the VPN connection phase regardless of the killswitch setting.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
ExpressVPN latest android version v7.4.0 now comes with a Network Protection feature. It works on the basis that you need to enable the android OS VPN settings to get its full protection.

You can't test by simply disabling the VPN like in testing a Kill Switch e.g. as in VyprVPN

After chatting with ExpressVPN support the Network Protection offers better protection over a Kill Switch in that

1) it allows the user to optionally select between local internet connection and VPN connection while the Kill Switch only allows the user to block all internet connection when not using the VPN. In the event that when using the VPN and the local internet connection gets accidentally disconnected the network protection gets activated.
2) it allows split tunneling which the Kill Switch does not

Note that this feature relies on the android OS VPN settings so Huawei phones with its EMUI interface will not work since the EMUI is not supporting the former

Link is here

Last edited:

mediator_ram

Level 1
Verified
May 2, 2019
SwitchVPN includes a kill switch in its arsenal. This basically ensures that your personal information is protected even when your VPN connection drops. But you're still watchable by the relevant authorities if any illicit behavior is detected. It's common with any VPN headquartered in the USA.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.