Battle Which Anti-Exploit, If Any?

okap1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2014
Recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security and am looking for an anti-exploit program to run in real-time alongside it.
Hitman Pro Alert, Zemana or Malwarebytes Premium 3 (or older MBAM 2.x + MBAE)

Read each apps dedicated forums and each seem to be most satisfied/comfortable with theirs. Not being technically very familiar with security software was hoping for some guidance.

--Have the above been tested against one another?
--Also noticed with Zemana that the drag & drop scan is much more thorough/longer than the standard scan. No Zemana notes on that. Strange.
--Would Malwarebytes offer more protection as it offers more than just anti-exploit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS- any links to tweaking Kaspersky IS for optimal home security?

Last edited:
Reactions: shukla44 and JB007

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think the best way is to maintain regular updates on the common programs (browsers, word processors, pdf reader and others) which will reduce the possible exploits.

KIS provides already in-depth functionality to detect possible exploits matter.

But if still insist then either from Hitman Pro Alert or MBAE will do; cause both provide up to date hardening techniques against exploits.

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
The chances of an anti-exploit causing issues are very high, whereas the chances of it actually ever stopping anything are very low. What people actually need is protection during installations, when they are intent to run something because they have made the wrong determination whether a file is safe or not.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The chances of an anti-exploit causing issues are very high, whereas the chances of it actually ever stopping anything are very low. What people actually need is protection during installations, when they are intent to run something because they have made the wrong determination whether a file is safe or not.
I agree. But HMPA also gives significant protection during installation of files. It can detect process hollowing, and block loading of bad dlls, among other things. Of course, it will also block legit processes from running, at times.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would be a hell of a lot easier if people read what they were installing, Kaspersky Internet Security already has Automatic Exploit Prevention since 2013.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 analyzes executable files that are run by vulnerable applications. If you did not run an executable file from a vulnerable application, Automatic Exploit Prevention blocks the file (or does whatever action you specified in settings). Information about blocked executable files is logged in the Exploit Prevention report.
How to Configure: How to configure Automatic Exploit Prevention in Kaspersky Internet Security 2017
Video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0YwyNEvJsk

Since the launch of Malwarebytes 3 Premium, they incorporated multiple standalone applications into a single product and this may pose an issue, as it's not recommended to run more than one anti-virus/anti-malware with real-time capabilities.

If you can find a stable build of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit without Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium, let us know, because last I checked it was in Beta.

Lastly, update your software and operating system.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Would be a hell of a lot easier if people read what they were installing, Kaspersky Internet Security already has Automatic Exploit Prevention since 2013.

How to Configure: How to configure Automatic Exploit Prevention in Kaspersky Internet Security 2017
Video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0YwyNEvJsk
But exploit prevention of KIS is limited. HMP.A offers more. But I definitely agree that KIS is enough because KIS does not merely rely on its anti-exploit technology. It has other components that prevent malware (exploits or not) from even running or propagating.

okap1

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 12, 2014
Appreciate all the very helpful input. Digesting and rereading. Happy to hear that Kaspersky IS was a solid choice.

Two last kindergarten level questions;

1) Last year my office had Malwarebytes Pro installed on all PC's alongside Kaspersky AV. I did notice a few times that MB proactively had popups warning about PUPs and questionable sites while Kaspersky AV did not. I realize PUPs are not necessarily harmful, but will any of the other anti-malware apps do the same (especially for sites)?
2) Am I correct in that the drag & drop Zemana scan is much more thorough than just hitting the Scan tab? If so, does Zemana provide notation for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007 and shmu26
D

Deleted member 178

1) Last year my office had Malwarebytes Pro installed on all PC's alongside Kaspersky AV. I did notice a few times that MB proactively had popups warning about PUPs and questionable sites while Kaspersky AV did not. I realize PUPs are not necessarily harmful, but will any of the other anti-malware apps do the same (especially for sites)? It is helful to know if they are present.
First you have to know, that MBAM's web filter is prone to many False Positive, this is well known.
Second, About PUPs or sites , some other AVs does it (or not depending the settings).
Helpful to know if PUPs are present? yes so you can remove them if you don't need them.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Last year my office had Malwarebytes Pro installed on all PC's alongside Kaspersky AV. I did notice a few times that MB proactively had popups warning about PUPs and questionable sites while Kaspersky AV did not.
Kaspersky is relatively permissive about PUPs, whereas MB is pretty strict.
PUPs are by definition a grey area and it's hard to know where to draw the line. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
But you can increase PUP protection in Kaspersky with this tweak:
Settings > Additional > Threats & Exclusions > Detect other software

It still won't be as vigilant as MB or Zemana, though.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Keep your OS and applications updated and there's absolutely no need for any anti-exploit. The risk can be further mitigated by uninstalling highly vulnerable applications such as Flash, Java, Silverlight and Internet Explorer.
AVs also have the ability to detect exploit kits and their payloads.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But exploit prevention of KIS is limited. HMP.A offers more. But I definitely agree that KIS is enough because KIS does not merely rely on its anti-exploit technology. It has other components that prevent malware (exploits or not) from even running or propagating.
In my opinion, it's not suitable to run Malwarebytes v3 alongside Kaspersky. ;) Didn't feel like mentioning HitmanPro.Alert or others because it would be a more viable option. However, keep all software updated highly reduces the risk of an Exploit happening.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.