Help Me Decide Which Anti-Malware should I install? 2018

Discussion in 'Compare Apps' started by gmaister22, Dec 23, 2017.

?

Which one?

1. Emsisoft

45 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. Malwarebytes

7 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Heimdal

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Other

22 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. gmaister22

gmaister22 Level 2

Feb 4, 2014
    Hello guys

i am looking for a decent anti malware protection software to purchase during the holiday sales for my stores (i have 3 different PCs)

Which would you recommend along my Kaspersky IS 18?

If you vote for other please let me know which one you recommend and why on a response !

2. askalan

askalan Level 9
    AV Tester

Jul 27, 2017
    Germany
    Linux
    Doctor Web
    None.
    HMP.A would be the only addon I would consider, but Kasperky is totally sufficient and there is no need to get paranoid because Kaspersky is too heavy anyway.

3. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    I don't recommend you use Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Heimdal Anti-Malware because you are already using Kaspersky Internet Security. Therefore, out of the list, I'd recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (on-demand only, no real-time protection enabled).

HitmanPro.Alert is good as mentioned by @askalan however it breaks a lot of software depending on the configuration and must be frequently updated to fix these issues, it can be a lot of hassle for an average user - the logs for crashes and what-not are neither appropriate for an average user, an average user isn't going to understand a call stack. Which is why the only people that tend to use it are computer geeks or enterprises.

Although, I wouldn't use the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. I'd use an older version on-demand if I'm honest. But up to you what you decide to do.

I agree with @askalan overall, Kaspersky Internet Security is sufficient. Add an ad-blocker if you like the idea and haven't already.

CyberTech, Weebarra, daljeet and 11 others like this.
  4. gmaister22

gmaister22 Level 2

Feb 4, 2014
    Alright then

Ill stay with KiS 18 only :)

I also had a look at this AppCheck Anti-Ransomware - CheckMAL , it seems pretty cool for a ransomware protection since it also backs up stuff

5. amico81

amico81 Level 7

Jan 10, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    Kaspersky is a master piece. Don't worry

6. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    Some ransomware is actually scared of Kaspersky and will not deploy a payload if its detected as being installed. Kaspersky have some really nice technology... I would have used it properly before if it wasn't as heavy on resources for me.

7. bribon77

bribon77 Level 11

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    If you are already using Kaspersky Internet Security. I wouldn't add anything else, just some browser extensions. as HTTP Everywhrere. Unblock Origin or Adguard. and ScriptSafe, the rest is not necessary if you use Kaspersky.

Weebarra, daljeet, harlan4096 and 9 others like this.
  8. gery79

gery79 Level 4

Jun 21, 2011
    #8 gery79, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2017
    What you have is more than enough . I would go with free emsisoft scanner

9. Faybert

Faybert Level 10
    AV Tester

Jan 8, 2017
    Brasil
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    you already have KIS, stay with it, I advise you to use Zemana Anti-Malware on demand, Malwarebyts has many errors and your protection is not the same anymore, Zemana is far superior.

Weebarra, daljeet, jerzy601 and 8 others like this.
  10. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    None. Buy a backup software if you don't have one. If you do then buy beer/wine for the staff.

Weebarra, daljeet, Iapepe and 10 others like this.
  11. TrinitronMSDOS

TrinitronMSDOS Level 2

Sep 29, 2017
    Graphic Designer
    Monaco
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    If if had to choose between these products as a main protection, i would have voted Emsisoft Anti-Malware without a doubt. But since you already have Kaspersky and want an additional layer of protection, i don't think that would be best. Malwarebytes is good but heavy and I've never tried Heimdal. I would advise you HitmanPro or Zemana without real time protection and set for a daily scan to don't slow your system down as Kaspersky provides excellent protection.

Weebarra, daljeet, Umbra and 4 others like this.
  12. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 22

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    Do you have a UTM/NGFW at your stores? If you have a simple NAT router then that is not enough unless you use a malware blocking DNS. (FortiGuard DNS, Quad9, Norton DNS). Otherwise, Heimdal would be a wise addition. KIS should be sufficient alone as long as your DNS is taken care.

13. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    You need to learn how to use App control! You don't need anything with Kaspersky internet security!maybe just Sandboxie for the browser that's all.adding an antimalware will not increase your protection.

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome Level 19

May 7, 2016
    Student
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Maybe EAM or stay with Avast.;)

Weebarra, daljeet and DeepWeb like this.
  15. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Hello, I think Zemana Anti Malware is the best option, or perhaps Malwarebytes:)
    Merry Christmas!!:D

Behold Eck, Weebarra and daljeet like this.
  16. DeepWeb

DeepWeb Level 9

Jul 1, 2017
    Nurse
    On a journey
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    You are already using KIS. Just leave it at that and don't worry about it IMO. Kaspersky is excellent.

Behold Eck, Weebarra and daljeet like this.
  17. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    in a matter of fact, all AVs are good enough in detection/protection for home users
    In a technical point, what decides things are the user-friendliness, resources usage and features of the software.
    Then you have the reputation of the companies.

kev216, Weebarra and daljeet like this.
  18. ShadicTheHedgehog

Nov 11, 2017
    Pabianice
    Windows 7
    Zemana
    What about Anti-malware: I suggest you to use Emsisoft. Because Emsisoft is powerfull Antivirus with Anti-Malware protection which is not that easly to defeat or trick by ransomware or stronger malwares. Emsisoft will scan your PC in couple of seconds if you doing quick scan, so this is high pros.

Weebarra, daljeet and Umbra like this.
  19. daljeet

daljeet Level 5

Jun 14, 2017
    india
    Linux Ubuntu
    Heimdal is a traffic scanning application with software updater. It protects from ad and links and It performed very well in blocking this with Dark layer guard engine.
    Heimdal is compatible with any AV it works silently without any creating any annoying notifications. You already have Kas IS you can use Emsisoft emergency kit instead of Emsisoft AM. Members already suggest you HMP.A I suggest you Zemana AM it lightweight and performance is also amazing. Kaspersky is able to handle ransomware and has behaviour blocker also you don't need extra protection.

Weebarra likes this.
  20. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Level 14

Apr 30, 2012
    I would try an antiexploit. EMET or MBAE.

Weebarra likes this.