Battle Which antivirus better for gaming? Kaspersky or F-Secure?

Compare list
Kaspersky Total Security 2021 MR3, and F-Secure SAFE 18.0

Szellem

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Hello Guys!

I need your personal experience! Which product better for gaming? Kaspersky Total Security, or F-Secure SAFE?
Which one have zero system impact in game, no lagg, and etc.
My games are competitve. Call of Duty, Warzone and etc...
Sometimes I visit av-comparatives, av-tests online, but i think this tests have not relevant information about this products. I have other experience in real life.

Thank you for your answer.

Filipe

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2018
Hello Guys!

I need your personal experience! Which product better for gaming? Kaspersky Total Security, or F-Secure SAFE?
Which one have zero system impact in game, no lagg, and etc.
My games are competitve. Call of Duty, Warzone and etc...
Sometimes I visit av-comparatives, av-tests online, but i think this tests have not relevant information about this products. I have other experience in real life.

Thank you for your answer.
I would advise F-secure as they are preparing an automated gaming mode :) and also F-secure has good performance for gaming. For example the interface only consumes cpu and ram when is opened, after you close it,doesnt consume more. Off course the other processes work on the background but not consuming many memory.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Long time no trying F-Secure, but as far as I know, most antiviruses nowadays are useful for gaming, since it's a core activity in most PC's, so you shouldn't have much trouble with any.

I've used Kaspersky Internet Security for a long time, and I never got gaming trouble such as lag or FPS drop. I did have though an issue with Application Control where, no matter how much I configured and whitelisted, Blitz (an app for runes and builds in League of Legends) would always break when updating, since AC would block update executables (even when the whole temp folder, installation folder, was whitelisted). Therefore I had to disable AC everytime I needed to update this app, which was at least once every two days.

Other than that, no major issues.

Mar 7, 2020
I would say F-Secure. Haven't tested F-Secure, but have had Kaspersky on my system in the past. It ran alright with games, but prepare for it to block well known games, preventing them from starting. Hey, I was even forced to disable KIS completely in order to run certain applications. If you switch to interactive, then prepare for lots of popups every time you want to run an application/game.

It's running terribly with third-party software, and Kaspersky won't bother with fixing issues relating to other software. Would advise anything other than Kaspersky for games.

L

Local Host

Kaspersky, since F-Secure Deepguard will prevent some games from starting.

You'll find the same issue all the way back to 2013 in multiple games (even outside Steam), System Watcher from Kaspersky is more mature and less prone to false positives.

I had this issue myself while testing F-Secure in other games (disabling Deepguard is the only solution, white-listing won't do).

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I personally would say Eset NOD32 or Emsisoft for this specific purpose. Both have never given me trouble, though the latter would quite likely quarantine 32-bit executables due to its behaviour blocker.

Though out of the two options given, being Kaspersky and F-Secure, It's pretty even when it comes to blocking games or general nuisances in fullscreen applications in my honest opinion. Having that said, I would vote for trying out Kaspersky (trial?) for the reasons mentioned by @Local Host .

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I can talk only for KIS, never had an issue with it and any game and has in my opinion one of the better relation between protection/performance.

1627332118650.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I would suggest Norton For Gamers - should there be a benefit from an antivirus made for gamers? :) In fact, if there is the same game booster as in Bullguard, you can even win a couple of FPS for yourself, especially since Norton is a very light antivirus, perhaps it is the best choice. McAfee Gamer Security looks good too and has a great design, but it's overpriced in my opinion.

If you choose only from the two listed, then if you have less than 16 gigabytes of RAM, then Kaspersky, if more, then F-Secure. ))

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
maybe not an av because you are playing a game that requires as much stability possible and an av would just render the 1% and 0.1% frame time higher (less FPS when the pc needs the most as it can get )
Maybe try using a debloated windows without defender don’t install a full av and use something that’s both default deny and will not cause dips .
I would recommend comodo firewal or any other default deny such as hard configurator /polices (srp) maybe even the magical voodoo shield you got many choices if you don’t install to many different types of programs then default deny should be the best option

Anyway if anyone reading this installs an incredible amount of mods or games which in that case default deny and hips would be a pain I would recommend an av assuming you don’t play highly competitive games so in that case the small performance overhead an av has won’t matter to much then I would Kaspersky as it has much less false positives compared to f secure while having better or similar protection by default
Anyway I would recommend dedicating a pc as a gaming one and isolating it from the network via vlans especially if you are using an actual and not a default deny product such as commodo fw (don’t dare to log in to your email account linked to any financial information you may possess on your gaming pc )

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I can talk only for KIS, never had an issue with it and any game and has in my opinion one of the better relation between protection/performance.

View attachment 259882
Using kis on my gaming pc had a few false positives but other then maybe eset it might be the lowest I have encountered and to say the truth some were from gray soft
And yes I pirate games sorry and no I don’t recommend piracy but if you have to from financial issues buying a game or just testing it out before a purchase then you could look into r/piracy megathread anyway you shouldn’t blindly trust any site trusted there even scene releases as someone could have a bad day and decide to infect you with malware (happened many times ) and some could just evade the mostly none to little analysis of the binary being done especially integrating a clock like function or using obfuscation to render even slightly deeper analysis less useful so be careful isolation is key

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Farhad24

Level 1
Mar 24, 2021
Playing: Warzone / Red Dead 2 / Rust / Sea of Thieves / CSGO and Tarkov for a year now.

tested these AVs on my system:
F-Secure / Emsisoft / Bitdefender / Kaspersky

had some FPs with even Steam games/files while using Emsisoft, so it's just not for me.
had some fps drops while playing warzone with Kaspersky, not sure if it's just the game Kaspersky don't like?
not to mention Warzone is CPU bound.

found Bitdefender auto profile ( which switch itself to gaming while in game ) best amoung them.
but i'm with F-Secure since well privacy first. and i'm not having any lags fps drops with F-Secure ( in gaming mode always ) in the same games. not sure which is better F-Secure or Bitdefender in terms of gaming, i can't really see any difference between them in that matter.

my specs are something high end tho: i9 9900k 2080S 32gb Ram
but yea hope it helps if u play similiar games.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Even though it's been tested and endorsed by the Cruel One (BTW, she used the the term "elegant"), I never heard the word "magical" used to describe VS! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I actually haven’t used the product in a long time but it is an incredible product nonetheless and has one of the most friendly devs so had to give it a shout out

Szellem

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Anyone tested these antivirus software for gaming?Which is better and which one does not cause fps drop?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.