Battle Which antivirus software do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Why do you think Eset does what it should do But Kaspersky needs tweaking in settings for optimal protection?

Eset defaults are signs + cloud only...cloud, hips & fw of eset in defaults are kinda passive protection But Kaspersky has couple effective protection modules.
I agree with this, and without starting an A VS B argument, to me KIS is a much better product.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
With that being said, I strongly believe that all security software out there is equally decent and usable. Few years ago, in my view there's a comparison between top and bottom security software and I followed that blindly. But as experience comes by, you should came to realise that it's the user themselves who make any of their security software formidable, regardless of any brands.

I have tried all those AV mentioned there. In fact I believe I can try to configure and make those equally (or close to) good. The reason why I choose certain product is due to cost and GUI-friendliness; not so on features anymore.

shicomu

Level 1
Verified
Aug 22, 2016
Why do you think Eset does what it should do But Kaspersky needs tweaking in settings for optimal protection?

Eset defaults are signs + cloud only...cloud, hips & fw of eset in defaults are kinda passive protection But Kaspersky has couple effective protection modules.

Due to being a reseller i got a 'short line' to kaspersky and despite comlaining for 3 years in a row about a very generic setting in detecting threats it's still disabled by default...
In real world scenarios i see a lot of customer rigs infected with the option in question switched off.

KIS might be a strong product due to the technology used and their marks in specific testing but when i get way too many angry customers with infected rigs it tells me that the product doesnt perform the right way ( for my customers at least.. )

For a couple of years eset has not let me down ( and my customers at that ) .
Maybe 'on paper' the product might be performing less but in the situation that i'm in it just works better.

Another note ; kaspersky is unable to update it's software without uninstalling the program first.
I was told years ago it's to protect the process but eset is perfectly capable in updating the software without that uninstall.
Quite a timesaver and more convenient also imho..

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
do you think that this bad setting is what is letting your customers down?
I think he is right somehow. My friend bought a license for KIS 2015 with all default settings ( PUP disabled). When I saw her laptop, it was a complete mess of PUPs. I had to use MBAM and adwcleaner to save it because the laptop was slow

KIS 2017 offers users to tick PUP detection by default during installation so this will save my lives. not 100% sure if it is ticked by default. If it is unticked, average users may skip it

D

Deleted member 2913

Settings > extra > threats *** the advanced desinfection option is allready ticked but the "detect other software" option is not..
I too think "detect other threats" should be enabled by default Or an option during install enable/disable Or an option to enable/disable after install i.e Kaspersky after install completes recommends to enable bundled installers protection, similarly can recommend to enable "other threats protection".

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think he is right somehow. My friend bought a license for KIS 2015 with all default settings ( PUP disabled). When I saw her laptop, it was a complete mess of PUPs. I had to use MBAM and adwcleaner to save it because the laptop was slow

KIS 2017 offers users to tick PUP detection by default during installation so this will save my lives. not 100% sure if it is ticked by default. If it is unticked, average users may skip it
is "detect other software" setting for catching the PUPs?

D

Deleted member 2913

I guess Kaspersky 2017 doesn't offers users to tick PUP detection by default during install, its bundled installers protection (like unchecky) & not PUP i.e "other threats protection", am I right?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
is "detect other software" setting for catching the PUPs?
yes I call it PUP detection for short ;)

I guess Kaspersky 2017 doesn't offers users to tick PUP detection by default during install, its bundled installers protection (like unchecky) & not PUP i.e "other threats protection", am I right?
I think it is ticked by default
I just reinstalled my w10AU (removed everything). I installed KIS 2017 and the option was ticked by default. I just simply clicked next next next. everything was installed correctly as I wanted

yes, it works like unchecky but doesnt support as many programs as unchecky

D

Deleted member 2913

yes I call it PUP detection for short ;)

I think it is ticked by default
I just reinstalled my w10AU (removed everything). I installed KIS 2017 and the option was ticked by default. I just simply clicked next next next. everything was installed correctly as I wanted

yes, it works like unchecky but doesnt support as many programs as unchecky
I installed KIS 2017 just now.

During install, the next next thing gives the option to protect from bundled installers And not PUP protection...PUP protection is disabled by default.

Bundled installers protection is like when you run any installers that has PUP/adware, the option to install those PUP/adware will be unchecked by Kaspersky or will not be shown to the users.

PUP protection is like when you run any PUP/adware program itself directly, Kaspersky will protect/detect the PUP program.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
My experience with KIS 2016 was very good, but even with PUP protection enabled, many PUPs are missing.... In another hand, it's a strong suite, but it's complex and you have to custom some settings (Harlan's guide) for a better security. Also, it's a bit buggy (many patches and support it's slooowww) and i don't know why... but i had the feeling of being spyed with banking and keylogger protection (i'm a bit paranoid, i admit). Now, i'm running Emsisoft Internet Security 2011, that maybe it's not so powerful than KIS, but love its smoothness and simplicity. Anyway, KIS, ESET and Emsisoft are three great options

shicomu

Level 1
Verified
Aug 22, 2016
My experience with KIS 2016 was very good, but even with PUP protection enabled, many PUPs are missing....

Just came across another example of that..
Customer with the very latest build of KIS2016 ( 2017 version is not available in local language here.. ) had no trouble in installing gomplayer on his rig... where my rig with eset goes beserk since gomplayer is laced with adware that cannot be unchecked...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just came across another example of that..
Customer with the very latest build of KIS2016 ( 2017 version is not available in local language here.. ) had no trouble in installing gomplayer on his rig... where my rig with eset goes beserk since gomplayer is laced with adware that cannot be unchecked...
so it sounds like Kaspersky's problem is mainly with the PUP/adware category.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I tested these AV and daily read on Malware hub other member's tests.
No security suite is perfect.
In my opinion:
- Eset has a very good signature detection, updated fast...behavioral detection not so good.
- Kis needs to be configured for better protection.. .it has limitations under 64 bit OS and Win 10, not all security components work 100%...it still has very good signature detection as behavioral.
Pup detection is not it's syrongest point.
Update: Kis has a very good script detection, better than the other AVs in this list, in my opinion.
- Emsisoft has a clean interface, great support, excellent privacy rules, don't install extra tools to scan your encrypted connection, great pup detection, very good signature (bitdefender signatures+Emsi's ones)and behavioral detection.
In my opinion it had better detection in the past, still a great product.
-bitdefender il like Emsi but with a not so clean interface, less privacy, not so good pup detection.

If privacy is important I would use Emsi.
If overall protection is more important I would use Kaspersky with "doped" settings.

To increase the lever of protection I would also use an additional anti exploit and anti exe, eg hitmanpro alert and voodoshield..sandboxie or shadow defender or Vms would give uou the fi al layer of protection.

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
https://malwaretips.com/threads/03-08-2016-8.61971/#post-529510

https://malwaretips.com/threads/20-07-2016-8.61523/#post-524911

this one he said it was clean:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/14-07-2016-7.61366/#post-523228

these are a few posts I saw EIS detected and blocked all malwares but the system after scanning was infected somehow. I don't know if the system was infected before EIS or infected files created by malwares weren't deleted
correct me if I'm wrong

Sorry, must have missed this post here.

EIS in common has quite good protection.

Sometimes malware drops / creates additional malware faster than EIS can react, reason might be that it actions are delayed (malware stays silent for a minute or more before for example starts encryption and EIS HIPS then intercepts it). Therefore, it might happen (which I clearly state if that is the case), the process spawned by the malware is still running in memory, however, it's malicious action was blocked.
To be fair, I never kill those processes before firing off 2nd_opinion_scans. I might be wrong, but I noticed, if there is a dangerous process still running, it is flagged by both Zemana AntiMalware as such and has "run" or something else next to the detection in HitmanPro (HMP).
Otherwise, those 2nd_opinion_scanners do only detect the leftover sample, which can't be deleted as still running in memory (but for my understanding, not of harm, as shown by the Emsisoft log).

If there are any signs of an infection (like entries in SysInternals AutoRuns, outbound connections TCPView, or 2nd_opinion - both deep scan - showing anything else but only the original malware file, or have some writing next to original file's name), I call the system infected.
The 2nd_opinion scan here is a good example (see the "Run" note in HMP?): https://malwaretips.com/threads/03-08-2016-8.61971/#post-529510

System get's infected while testing the malware, that's why you need a VM / ShadowDefender to protect your PC and your data, for that you always have a clean sheet for every new malware pack (and for using the machine for something else but malware testing).

Conclusion: No AV is perfect (just my 2 cents), but EIS does very well, has a firewall, is lightweight and easy to use. And, as @Darlene said, free of unnecessary cleaning tools. Note that EIS might do even better if you max out the settings it has, we all test @ stock settings.

Wihat

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
The last time I used CIS was about 3 month ago, I didn't have a USB protection( Although I change to default to higher level of protection -> I feel something strange -> I use some rescue tools( MBAM, SAS, Kaspersky-Avast rescue, EEK, Microsoft Safety scanner,...) -> Reinstall the computer.
Then I used WD, it's easy, simple, but I need more complex config. I turned to Avira, it's powerful surely but sometime it asks me to upgrade so I bought KIS yesterday ;)
P/s: I think CIS it's great, but it need something to stop autorun or scan removable devices automatically( plug -> scan)
One more Bitdefender is not compatible with Windows 10( can install except open the interface).
Whatever AV you use, make sure you make it strongest, have some backup plans. ( Just think if a AV didn't have its strong, special thing... nobody use it)

Last edited:

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I searched over Google and Youtube just to find (Maximum settings) for Emsisoft Internet Security 11 to give me better protection, prevention and detection but I couldn't find anything :(

Could anyone @Der.Reisende post a link to a video or post his configuration? I really appreciate it ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.