Advice Request Which Apps Updater do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Someone has just shown me how to install store apps using winget, winget does not export installed store apps like normal software, so it has to be done separately.
In case store is somewhat broken, winget might be able to update apps by reinstall. Upon clean install I can uninstall all apps except store and install only those I want.
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
Get-AppXPackage | where-object {$_.name –notlike '*store*'} | Remove-AppxPackage
Winget has to be installed manually unfortunatelly. Get App Installer - Microsoft Store
Code:
winget install --id 9wzdncrfj3q2 --exact --source msstore --accept-package-agreements --accept-source-agreements
App ID is the number within the URL, for example MSN Weather - microsoft.com/en-us/p/msn-weather/9wzdncrfj3q2

Attachments

• capture_03132022_162441.jpg
    capture_03132022_162441.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 132

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
View attachment 264596

@Kyle_Katarn

Your latest version (and previous versions) of SUMo has some issues identifying some programs

1) Portable Librewolf of mine is already 97.0.1 version but SUMo reports as 96.x.x
2) ExpressVPN is still at 10.17.0.28 but SUMo reports a newer version 10.19.0.7 available
Does SUMo also reports if a new beta of ExpressVPN is out for example?

Reactions: [correlate]

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Does SUMo also reports if a new beta of ExpressVPN is out for example?
I don't think so for the beta version.

I believe it rightly reports the ExpressVPN version but the ExpressVPN software itself is slow to prompt the update. Similarly, for my Surfshark VPN too.

But portable Librewolf is definitely incorrect.

Reactions: roger_m

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
I don't think so for the beta version.

I believe it rightly reports the ExpressVPN version but the ExpressVPN software itself is slow to prompt the update. Similarly, for my Surfshark VPN too.

But portable Librewolf is definitely incorrect.
What's wrong in SUMo with LibreWolf ?

Reactions: harlan4096

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Should LibreWolf Portable be reporting v1.3.0.0 or should be 98.0-1?
SUMO uses file versioning from the exe itself and it reports as 1.3.3.0. Maybe portable version should be separated in SUMO, so updates could be reported properly.
What I find concerning though, that the user agent says Firefox revision 91 instead of 98 and it lacks the digital signature, I guess they do not put much love into it.

Attachments

• capture_03242022_174522.jpg
    capture_03242022_174522.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 113

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
SUMO uses file versioning from the exe itself and it reports as 1.3.3.0. Maybe portable version should be separated in SUMO, so updates could be reported properly.
What I find concerning though, that the user agent says Firefox revision 91 instead of 98 and it lacks the digital signature, I guess they do not put much love into it.

Improvement for SUMo logged here : 0007021: Wrong version reported for "LibreWolf" - MantisBT
Thanks for reporting !

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.