Advice Request Which Apps Updater do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello folks, my question for y'all today is quite simple:

• Which software in Windows do you use to update your installed programs?
  • Is it an automatic process? Or do you have to manually search for updates?
  • Does it all happen in the background or do you have to manually hit "next" in each installation window?
Looking forward to all your responses!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I use 2 apps, next to Windows Update and the Windows Store:
Patch My PC:
I manually start the app but updating is just one click of a button.
SUMo:
I manually start the app and it will show me what apps have updates available, but you must update those apps yourself.
The big plus of SUMo is that SUMo has the largest database of apps and its developer @Kyle_Katarn is on this forum.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use 2 apps, next to Windows Update and the Windows Store:
Patch My PC:
I manually start the app but updating is just one click of a button.
SUMo:
I manually start the app and it will show me what apps have updates available, but you must update those apps yourself.
The big plus of SUMo is that SUMo has the largest database of apps and its developer @Kyle_Katarn is on this forum.
I use PatchMyPC too, and you can schedule automatic background updates for free, just in case you didn't know!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Doesn't this program download updates automatically?
So basically it just shows if there are new versions, is that it?
Does the paid program download the updates automatically?
Yes, it is an update monitor, it just shows you if there are new verslons.
The paid version gives you direct links to software developers website and updates itself automatically.
SUMo PRO adds automatic self-update & direct update access capabilities to SUMo.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
PatchMyPC, SUMo Free & RuckZuck.
Update with PatchMyPC & RuckZuck is mostly automatic (still have to run the app though) with almost no interaction needed per app.

(SUMo Free requires manual update but its list of software is larger.)

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use the following.
  • IObit Software Updater Pro
  • PatchMyPC
  • Software Informer
  • Software Update Pro by Glarysoft
  • SUMo

The Pro version of IObit Software Updater, automatically runs in the background from time to time and checks for updates. It then automatically downloads and installs any updates it finds. I am using a giveaway license.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
@Sorrento and @Digmor Crusher have you tried Patch My PC next to SUMo?
SUMo and Patch My PC have some differences in software they detect.
Together they cover almost everything on my laptop.
Yes I did, it was quite awhile ago but if I remember correctly Sumo detected more programs on my rig . I find with Sumo you have to scan any folders that you may have programs sitting in for it to pick them up, usually only have to do it once.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes I did, it was quite awhile ago but if I remember correctly Sumo detected more programs on my rig . I find with Sumo you have to scan any folders that you may have programs sitting in for it to pick them up, usually only have to do it once.
Correct, on my laptop SUMo detected 21 programs including portable ones in a folder in my download folder after adding that to SUMo.
Patch My PC detected 15 programs, but they don't detect the same programs.
Of those 15 of Patch My PC 10 are not detected by SUMo.
So together they cover 31 programs.
That's why I run them both.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
SUMo will usually find a lot more updates than PatchMyPC, because of how it works. SUMo scans for updates, but can't download and install them. On the other hand, with just a few clicks, PatchMyPC will download and silently install any updates it finds, one after the other.

PatchMyPC.png

Because of this, I think it's worthwhile using PatchMyPC in addition to SUMo, as it definitely saves some time and effort when it comes to updating software that it supports. I even use it to update 360 Total Security, as it often takes a few days before 360's own updater is aware that a new version is released.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.