winzip
power archiver

Pixelman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
My choice is Winrar.

Design is old but you can download a theme from the official site.

It's UI friendly (for me).
Never had issues with it.

You can consider 7zip too.

The main features of 7z format:
  • Open architecture
  • High compression ratio
  • Strong AES-256 encryption
  • Ability of using any compression, conversion or encryption method
  • Supporting files with sizes up to 16000000000 GB
  • Unicode file names
  • Solid compressing
  • Archive headers compressing
And it's free:emoji_beer:

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I nominate 7zip also. Unless you are used to WinRar or other software, I don't see any reason to not choose 7zio as it's simply better, including reduced file size for 7zip files.
7zio now also has the option to enable "Mark Of The Web" aka "Zone.Identifier" which could add an extra security layer on extracted files downloaded from the internet. Some AV software also performs extra cloud/behavioral scanning for files with MOTW for example: Microsoft Defender.

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

Check out Zstandard Compression Algorithm, currently the best in class with a good compression ratio and very fast compression and decompression.
Instead of 7zip, you might choose Bandizip it performs similarly to 7zip with "Mark Of The Web" and Exploit mitigations enabled.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Check out Zstandard Compression Algorithm, currently the best in class with a good compression ratio and very fast compression and decompression.
Instead of 7zip, you might choose Bandizip it performs similarly to 7zip with "Mark Of The Web" and Exploit mitigations enabled.
For the folks that want to use or stay with 7-zip are in luck. Zstandard (Zstd) is currently being worked on, while mr. Pavlov hopes it'd be ready in the next version. (y)
source: 7-Zip / Feature Requests / #1580 Please add zstd support

Igor Pavlov - 2022-08-08
I work for zstd support in 7-zip now.
So next version of 7-zip probably will support it.
Now you can try to use some external plugin with zstd support.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Is there any way to get a traditional installer as Microsoft Store is not available in Windows LTSC?
Try downloading the .msixbundle bundle from GitHub or Microsoft Store - Generation Project (v1.2.3) [by @rgadguard & mkuba50]
Then open powershell as admin, use "Set-Location" to change the directory to the location of the file and type Add-AppxPackage "*******.msixbundle"
Otherwise, you might have to try with Winget: Installation Guide for LTSC (and Server OS) · Discussion #1956 · microsoft/winget-cli

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.