Which AV Company has best Ransomware protection and why?

Which AV Company has best Ransomware protection and why?

• Total voters

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
you can, its designed to protect against applications or files behaving in a way that looks suspicious ,but if tbe encryption is performed by a whitelisted application. Like Winzip for example, trend wont block it
Oh it seemed to good to be true. So if TM does not recognise it as suspicious , it does not block it.

Or it blocks everything except the whitelisted app?

I am going to look for a test.

Yeah I already do backups .

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Why Avast?
  • Consistently rated “excellent” by industry experts
  • Trusted by 400 million people worldwide
  • It’s the "Antivirus with the lowest impact on PC performance” (AV comparatives)
  • Best features - unbreakable password security, home network protection, browser cleaning and much more
  • All for FREE
  • This was taken from their website xD #toolazy

H

hjlbx

Has anyone actually tested every single one of the security softs in the list against various types of ransomware ?

If no, then it is all conjecture, speculation and wishful thinking.

The best anyone can do in that case is to locate some AV lab reports of tests for strictly antivirus against ransomware; I looked and I didn't find any - but I didn't look very hard.

Online videos might be a good source of infos - but you have to know how the softs work in the first place so you can identify any video tester mistakes.

Knowing how Emsisoft tests their behavior blocker I would choose EAM\EIS.

D

Deleted member 2913

Trend Micro has a feature that prevents ransomware from encrypting files in selected folders, by default this is my documents, however I have also seen Trends Feature where is detects unusual activity targeting files malware normally targets and backs those targets up, restoring them once the user allows the encryption or allows Trend to remove the threat
In Kaspersky too, you can protect folders, etc...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is obvious how these techniques make it virtually useless the signatures based antivirus.
In my opinion, never as now, the antivirus , alone, can hardly detects all these threats.
But remember that all the ransomware that I've tested, however, have been detected by Smartscreen filter at double click time, often people forget that.
Without quoting the entire post,which mind you is an excellent reply to the OP's question,I quoted the part I thought made the most important statement based on the question at hand.
Hence why in security configs we are always harping about Smartscreen.
I use Kaspersky so for the poll that was my vote

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Before giving an opinion specifically to the topic, IMO a few considerations.

Determining feature of the recent malware/ransomware has the ability to avoid antivirus detection.

We analyse the structure of these cyber attacks: if we click on a mail attachment or on infected web page, running a dropper that has essentially the task of communicating with a remote server to download the ransomware.
The dropper injects a process that gets information about the host system and communicates to the remote server.

In this way, the server is informed about which antivirus is running and if the version of the operating system has known exploitable vulnerabilities .
So the dropper is instructed to download a specific version of the crypto malware.
The dropper has downloaded on the machine, a version of the malware designed to circumvent our specific antivirus application, then it will be running by encrypting the file.

One of the most effective methods to work around AV protection is Process Hollowing.
The malware runs a legitimate process of Windows, but in suspended mode. At that point, it empties the memory in use by the same process and injects the payload, and in this way, the malware is run under the hat of the legitimate process and it does not allow the antivirus to detect it in any way.

Then there are methods to avoid detection within the sandbox.
For example, the ransomware detects, using techniques of increasing complexity (service discovery, registry keys, computational features of the processor, or specific instructions on the use of resources), the presence of a virtual environment, while remaining inert. The user will then consider it safe by running it outside of the protected area, triggering the actual infection.

The other technique is to create the polymorphic viruses, or use the payload that is known code but obfuscated, so avoiding detection by antivirus, also for example, by encrypting the executable with different algorithms, or by compressing it in different containers.

It is obvious how these techniques make it virtually useless the signatures based antivirus.
In my opinion, never as now, the antivirus , alone, can hardly detects all these threats.

Specifically to the topic if I have to choose an AV for the best ransomware protection, whereas, as mentioned above, I might choose Avast/Hardened Mode/Agressive setup.
Because it is free, and although nothing is perfect, it has proven in my tests against ransomware a very good performance.
But remember that all the ransomware that I've tested, however, have been detected by Smartscreen filter at double click time, often people forget that.

But a strategy of prevention must necessarily have, in addition to an effective safety products, also a backup (and restore) reliable plan. Important the education of users and implementation of security policy to mitigate the potential destructive of these malware.

Sorry for prob. OT, but I think that it is necessary to understand the problem in its entirety before giving an opinion.

On top of this incredible well put reasoning and explanation i would like to add that while most AV programs use smart technologies that automate the program for a very large part, people them-self often negate the security layers by running admin accounts or open programs, files and other crap before their AV can effectively react, since for example cloud based reputation takes in some cases a bit of time before a file is considered safe, suspicious or outright malware and most people do not like to wait so they often have opened (activated) a file multiple times already (knowingly or unknowingly) specially if its hidden in legit looking programs or other files.
In many infection cases it turns out that a AV program did adequately report a issue but because a computer user did get that particular file from a friend or family they then overwrite the suggested action given by their AV program because they consider the file safe.
After-all your best friend or your dad & mom) would not purposefully infect you right?
In today's world Malware does have the ability to utterly render a AV program (And most similar protection apps) completely useless before the actual infection itself. Since Malware today in some cases has far reaching techniques to counter detection by popular AV brands and tools and these techniques come into play before the AV program ever did have a real chance of detecting the file itself.
I wrote a longtime ago a guide (Your mouse click matters) and explained exactly what and how far users themselves are directly responsible for their AV Program doing a bad job protecting them, and how much of a danger your mouse-click can be specially in the hands of mister numnuts and lets face it there are ALOT of such self proclaimed computer geniuses out here that do every day just that.. clicking away the whole day without ever thinking do i really want to click this link and download a file that i did not even request.

Ill bet that if you put a link on a website: Click here to blow up your house by a specially delivered fresh out of ISIS territory home made bomb then people will click on it. Now with that in mind and the way how malware can infect you as so nicely explained by @LabZero then it does not take a genius to understand that voting in this topic just makes another A vs B topic but for the sake of the topic i like to reply to the question which AV program has the best Ransomware protection? One needs to realize first that they are all VB100, AV-Comparatives, AV-Test, ISCA Labs and so on certified which means that ALL of them tested positive in stopping the current malware.
Which leaves "unknown" files as the real danger. And as i said most programs are very much automated in their responses and while some are pretty good non of them are perfect. So combine that with all the factors described in this topic en all of them have down the line on paper the same protection level. So then we are narrowing it down to the programs that have additional protection which actually confirms if a certain user action was a good action then the list goes VERY small to:

1: Kaspersky
2: Norton
3: ESET
4: Sophos (Not on the list)
And a runner up AVAST.

Kind Regards,
Nico

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
@LabZero i know some malicious sw recognise virtualisation , but if you download a pdf that actually it is not , and you open it , maybe it does not start to encrypt but you recognise it is not a real pdf. Or not ? Thank you

W

Wave

people them-self often negate the security layers
Honestly I cannot stress enough how much I agree with this statement, the amount of people I see who disable UAC because they don't believe it "works properly" or because they find it "annoying", or just ignore SmartScreen warnings, is simply unbelievable! Then they complain about how Windows security isn't good enough because they ended up becoming infected due to them not using the features properly and keeping their eyes open!

before their AV can effectively react, since for example cloud based reputation takes in some cases a bit of time before a file is considered safe, suspicious or outright malware and most people do not like to wait so they often have opened (activated) a file multiple times already (knowingly or unknowingly) specially if its hidden in legit looking programs or other files.
If you keep trying to run the same program it won't just allow it to bypass the AV scanning mechanisms. Any good and decent AV product will make sure the program is scanned properly before allowing it to execute code properly... Usually the processes are put into a suspended state at execution and after scanning if the results show good signs then it is resumed, and some other times it's made differently so the programs will automatically be denied execution (in the background) and then after scanning if the results are good it'll re-start the program without the auto-deny (because then it'd end up in a loop of course).

The cloud based reputation scanning shouldn't occur after the program has started running and is allowed to execute it's own code. It'll happen beforehand. After the Windows Loader starts the load the program into memory, it will pass through a bunch of functions which can trigger any callbacks/any hooked functions relating to the process start-up, allowing the AV product to intercept and suspend/auto-block and then scan and depending on the results it can resume/re-start the program or just terminate/quarantine if it was resumed temporarily at first for scanning purposes.

If attempting to open up programs multiple times automatically bypassed the AV scanning mechanisms like you say then it would be seriously flawed. Which is why that doesn't happen.

If I misunderstood what you said then I apologise, correct me if I did misunderstand what you were trying to say...

D

Deleted member 2913

Kaspersky - Its Application Control, System Watcher And KSN are effective features. Kaspersky is one of the few suites whose all the protection modules are effective. Its default settings are well balanced & has low FPs. Good suite for average users...just enable "other threats" for PUP detection.
Note - Kaspersky Antivirus dont have "Application Control". AC is only in higher versions KIS, KTS, etc...

Avast - Hardened Mode Aggressive - Its a kinda lite anti-executable And does works good. In real world scenario, it works good & effective protection with low FPs And suitable for average users. It has a free version with same core protection as its paid version.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Honestly I cannot stress enough how much I agree with this statement, the amount of people I see who disable UAC because they don't believe it "works properly" or because they find it "annoying", or just ignore SmartScreen warnings, is simply unbelievable! Then they complain about how Windows security isn't good enough because they ended up becoming infected due to them not using the features properly and keeping their eyes open!

If you keep trying to run the same program it won't just allow it to bypass the AV scanning mechanisms. Any good and decent AV product will make sure the program is scanned properly before allowing it to execute code properly... Usually the processes are put into a suspended state at execution and after scanning if the results show good signs then it is resumed, and some other times it's made differently so the programs will automatically be denied execution (in the background) and then after scanning if the results are good it'll re-start the program without the auto-deny (because then it'd end up in a loop of course).

The cloud based reputation scanning shouldn't occur after the program has started running and is allowed to execute it's own code. It'll happen beforehand. After the Windows Loader starts the load the program into memory, it will pass through a bunch of functions which can trigger any callbacks/any hooked functions relating to the process start-up, allowing the AV product to intercept and suspend/auto-block and then scan and depending on the results it can resume/re-start the program or just terminate/quarantine if it was resumed temporarily at first for scanning purposes.

If attempting to open up programs multiple times automatically bypassed the AV scanning mechanisms like you say then it would be seriously flawed. Which is why that doesn't happen.

If I misunderstood what you said then I apologise, correct me if I did misunderstand what you were trying to say...

You did understood me correctly m8 and your reply is sound, but here is a little text written in 2013 on the askleo site:

The harsh reality
All malware is not created equal, which is why there are so many different terms to describe the variations. Some exist merely to propagate. Others exist to do damage. Some exist to silently send spam. Still others start to blur the line between virus and spyware as they install monitoring or additional vulnerabilities on your system. Some travel by email. Others travel by downloaded applications. As we just saw, others can travel from unprotected computer to unprotected computer directly through the internet.

No anti-malware tool can protect you from yourself. For example, if you open an email attachment that you don’t recognize and run it, you may install a virus before your anti-virus software has a chance to act. When downloading a file, if you choose to ignore a warning that your anti-virus package or firewall displays, you’re telling the software that you know better than it does what is or is not safe.

If you choose to connect without a firewall or choose not to use automatic updating tools to keep your system as up-to-date as possible … it’s on you to know what you’re doing.

Let’s hope you do.

I hope this explains.

Cheers

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I have to choose none of them.

I use Hit man Pro.Alert and Voodooshield together with Smartscreen as IMHO no single AV vendor has anything as effective as a multi-vendor, multi-layer defense against Ransomware. Default-deny rules :)

PS. I know it's not 100% guaranteed but I'm sure it's not that far off.

L

LabZero

@LabZero i know some malicious sw recognise virtualisation , but if you download a pdf that actually it is not , and you open it , maybe it does not start to encrypt but you recognise it is not a real pdf. Or not ? Thank you
Usually there are two situations.

1) Malicious code is inserted in the PDF document, such as a shell script, or a simple Javascript code, the purpose of which is to download and execute malware hosted on a remote server.
Through an exploit, the PDF reader is running a legitimate request to a resource that does not actually exist, and in which, in its place, the malicious code is executed.
Frequent are the flaws of Adobe Reader and in this case it is necessary to disable Javascript.
If you open a PDF document with the infected file, you actually see the contents of the PDF file, but at the same time you run the malicious code.

2) The malware has the icon of a PDF document, but the actual extension is .exe then it is a fake PDF.
Windows by default does not show file extensions, so in our case, a user may just see:

(document.pdf) ...

instead of

(document.pdf).exe if we enable the visualisation of file extensions (as it should be).

In this case, obviously the file is not .PDF but a executable and if you run the malware, it infects the system.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Usually there are two situations.

1) Malicious code is inserted in the PDF document, such as a shell script, or a simple Javascript code, the purpose of which is to download and execute malware hosted on a remote server.
Through an exploit, the PDF reader is running a legitimate request to a resource that does not actually exist, and in which, in its place, the malicious code is executed.
Frequent are the flaws of Adobe Reader and in this case it is necessary to disable Javascript.
If you open a PDF document with the infected file, you actually see the contents of the PDF file, but at the same time you run the malicious code.

But maybe it is written with some grammatical errors ( or something like that ) like the fake bill emails used to send it

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
L

LabZero

But maybe it is written with some grammatical errors ( or something like that ) like the fake bill emails used to send it
You're referring to the first case as above, the PDF document may contain grammatical errors or not, at this point it is irrelevant because you realize this, just after you open the PDF by running also the malcode inside it, that is the goal.

Usually the file is relative to the content of the mail, so if it says: "here is your invoice", it is likely that the document is an invoice (obviously false) because the purpose of the malcoder is to stay hidden by avoiding suspicions as possible.
The .js code dropper, or other scripts, injected in the PDF, usually are few code lines that are not easily detected by AVs.

Since, as mentioned above, this .js code usually exploits vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader so I suggest other PDF readers, like Sumatra PDF, Foxit, etc.always updated.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.