Battle Which AV/Internet Security Suite for workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivo3d

Thread author
Oct 16, 2013
Hello MalwareTips-Community!

I just registered because I'm in front of a dilemma and would love to get some suggestion: I need an Antivirus or Internet Security Suite for my workstation. At the moment I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit with dual Xeon E5 and 64GB of ECC-Ram. Should be enough resources to run everything but I don't want the Antivirus to slow down my rendering and simulation time. Nor impacting applications that use lots of Ram. I don't care if my workstation takes 10 seconds longer to boot. But slowing down my system while copying/writing/reading files is a no go.
As soon as AMD and Xrite solve some driver problems, I might move to Server 2012 - so that might be important too, seen that some company want business license for Server 2012. But business versions are fine too.

Free or paid? I don't mind to pay as long as it does what it is supposed to do.

Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't use Comodo on your system, you'll only regret it. It's crap, in my honest opinion.

In terms of performance, how powerful is "dual Xeon E5 and 64GB of ECC-Ram"?

I've not tested any AV in regards to the following,
But slowing down my system while copying/writing/reading files is a no go.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Comodo is solid. Simply tweak it this way:

http://tweakbytes.com/Thread-How-to-Configure-Comodo-Internet-Security?highlight=comodo+internet+security

My other suggestions are: F-Secure and ESET. Set HIPS in ESET to "policy based"

Vivo3d

Thread author
Oct 16, 2013
Yeah, thanks a lot guys. Guess I will have to do some checks between comodo and eset first and then f-secure.

Earth said:
In terms of performance, how powerful is "dual Xeon E5 and 64GB of ECC-Ram"?

As in, what cpu I have and what ram? Two E5-2689 and Kingston 1600 ram.
Copy and write performance is important to me, because rendering and running simulations writes a lot of files on the hdd. Ranging from a couple of mb to a few gb pro file. If then those file need to be moved to a different drive (for example for the customer) I don't need it to slow down the process nor do I want to deactivate the av every time I have to copy massive amount of files....especially while leaving it attached to a hdd that isn't mine.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Gnosis, but not for the needs of OP. CIS is good for home use, but not for work usage. I know, because I've tried CIS on a work machine, it basically sandboxed all the programs that were required for proper use - that was on default settings. Not to mentioned FPs, and other bugs.

I thoroughly don't believe Comodo is practical in this instance.

I

illumination

Earth said:
Gnosis, but not for the needs of OP. CIS is good for home use, but not for work usage. I know, because I've tried CIS on a work machine, it basically sandboxed all the programs that were required for proper use - that was on default settings. Not to mentioned FPs, and other bugs.

I thoroughly don't believe Comodo is practical in this instance.

How long ago was this when you tried CIS on a work station. I have used CIS on my system with many programs, and the only one it had any
"pop ups" for was a built in software program from the computer manufacture it did not recognize, which took all of 3 seconds to solve, by simply clicking "trusted Application"..

CIS is more stable then it ever has been, take it for a test drive now..

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Whether for home or office, "default" settings are not practical when it comes to CIS. See the link that I posted^^^
No one should use CIS without first tweaking it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Earlier this year with Version 6.

If I weren't to be using the computer, I don't think the user of the PC would know what to do.

A lesser experienced user installing CIS would not how to solve some of the problems caused the program. CIS scares the users because of the default settings of the Auto-Sandbox. For example: "Software A" cannot run because it's not on the TVL (Trusted Vendors Lists = Comodo's own Whitelist), therefore "Software A" mush be isolated from the system. It's similar to an Antivirus FP, one cannot be sure if it's safe or a danger.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't intend to install Comodo on one of our systems again. Simply not worth the trouble.

illumination said:
How long ago was this when you tried CIS on a work station. I have used CIS on my system with many programs, and the only one it had any
"pop ups" for was a built in software program from the computer manufacture it did not recognize, which took all of 3 seconds to solve, by simply clicking "trusted Application"..

CIS is more stable then it ever has been, take it for a test drive now..

Many products can work on default settings, except Comodo, because it's not practical. That's my view.

Gnosis said:
Whether for home or office, "default" settings are not practical when it comes to CIS. See the link that I posted^^^
No one should use CIS without first tweaking it.

Apologies for going off-topic in your topic.

D

Deleted member 178

if you are a serious computer user on your workstation (sensitive machine), you surely not do much risky browsing, plug unknown usb and other dangerous things; so :

Workstation = need resources for demanding application = light AV that DO NOT generate alerts for unknown processes (many corporate workstation use their own software , unknown by most security vendors)

after that I suggest : MSE, WSA or ESET

Vivo3d

Thread author
Oct 16, 2013
Umbra Polaris said:
if you are a serious computer user on your workstation (sensitive machine), you surely not do much risky browsing, plug unknown usb and other dangerous things; so :

Workstation = need resources for demanding application = light AV that DO NOT generate alerts for unknown processes (many corporate workstation use their own software , unknown by most security vendors)

after that I suggest : MSE, WSA or ESET

Thanks!
That is true! And the fact that I'm running without AV (downloaded the trials but haven't had the time to install it yet) and without issues is the proof for that. Unfortunately, not connecting HDD (mainly esata) from customers is not an option. And I can't just format them and erase the content. Most of the times I will use my external drives but I can't know how clean the PC is, they connect it to. And I'm a bit concerned that certain websites do get blocked because they might have some doggy scripts running - it's not the first time that I search google for reference pics and when I open the original page it opens other new pages with ads or whatever.

D

Deleted member 178

i think your best option is a good backup software (backing up every day) coupled with MSE; MSE will protect you enough and in case of serious infection, just restore your backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.