Battle AV Suites Included VPN which is good?

Compare list
Avast VPN , Kaspersky VPN , Bitdefender VPN , and so on.
Platform(s)
  1. Any platform
  2. Microsoft Windows
  3. Android

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
So i want to buy soon a new Security suite , iam using ATM Surfshark ( happy with it ) and still have 2 years on it.

but as a backup VPN and for other Locations i would like to buy a Security suite with a VPN.

So my question is which doesn suck .

Like from Avast , Avira , bitdefender , kaspersky and more most include them "for free" in their premium subs like Avast Ultimate / One.

Would be great if P2P is allowed , maybe streaming servers , and 10 devices ( will also buy a 10 device license atleast )

Iam eying atm with a Avast Ultimate 3 years for 10 devices sub ( includes VPN ) i could get it pretty cheap

but does the AVast VPN utilize the HMA SERVERS ?

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Instead of buying a bloated security suite why not just buy a good AV such as Kaspersky, FSecure or Bitdefender and save some money. For a backup VPN just use the Proton free version, it works well for me.
Cause Windscribe free is extremely Limited , and i intent to buy a full suit anyway pretty simple. kinda asking more about experiences than Oppinions.

Last edited:

WyntechUmbrella

Level 1
Jul 28, 2023
I've tried most AV suites, and most included VPNs are decent only. They are enough for the occasional use, but way less fast/reliable/private than a separate VPN if you plan on actively using it.

I don't like bloated security suites and I always disable their added features (VPN, password manager, etc...). I advise you to buy a solid AV such as ESET NOD32 or Internet Security, and complement it with a reliable VPN (Mullvad, IVPN and ProtonVPN comes to mind).

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
There are far better VPN's than with a suite, even if that's not what you want at the moment - Mullvad for example, IVPN, & there are others even AdGuardVPN :)
:)
Cross-posted with above
Any specific reason you are insisting on using an AV suite with a VPN? Like the others here, I would also suggest using a stand-alone VPN like Proton or iTop; usually, stand-alone VPN providers offer more comprehensive options
I've tried most AV suites, and most included VPNs are decent only. They are enough for the occasional use, but way less fast/reliable/private than a separate VPN if you plan on actively using it.

I don't like bloated security suites and I always disable their added features (VPN, password manager, etc...). I advise you to buy a solid AV such as ESET NOD32 or Internet Security, and complement it with a reliable VPN (Mullvad, IVPN and ProtonVPN comes to mind).
explained it kinda already iam running Surfshark atm ( happy with it ) and iam simply planning to buy a Suite anyway and they include in 99% of cases a VPN , so why not choose a suite ( which i buy anyway ) with the best VPN thats included literarily for free with the suite that i buy anyway.

an example here
Like if you ( or the majority ) said that the AVG VPN absolutely sucks but the Avast / kaspersky / bitdefender ones are "decent" then i would absolutely ignore avg in this example...

its like if you intend to buy a car and get with one car 12 months of shitty food for free and with the other at the same price 12 months medio ocre or decent food for free.

i would choose the 2nd option.

Should have written a bigger disclaimer / explanation in the initial post....

• Wow
Reactions: Sorrento

WyntechUmbrella

Level 1
Jul 28, 2023
explained it kinda already iam running Surfshark atm ( happy with it ) and iam simply planning to buy a Suite anyway and they include in 99% of cases a VPN , so why not choose a suite ( which i buy anyway ) with the best VPN thats included literarily for free with the suite that i buy anyway.

an example here
Like if you ( or the majority ) said that the AVG VPN absolutely sucks but the Avast / kaspersky / bitdefender ones are "decent" then i would absolutely ignore avg in this example...

its like if you intend to buy a car and get with one car 12 months of shitty food for free and with the other at the same price 12 months medio ocre or decent food for free.

i would choose the 2nd option.

Should have written a bigger disclaimer / explanation in the initial post....
I understand what you mean. In that case, here's what I've experienced with VPNs from the security suites I tested:

- The best has been hands down F-Secure VPN (part of F-Secure TOTAL). It's the only one that really felt like a serious fully fledge VPN, and they really have put a lot of ressource and effort into it. If I'm not mistaken, F-Secure also have their own servers (or at least it isn't some rebrand of an already existing product). Lastly F-Secure privacy policy is one of the best.

- Bitdefender and Kaspersky were decent and felt kind of similar to some aspects. They both have partnered with Hotspot Shield (unless things have changed since then). However I had some issues with being disconnected after a while.

- Norton 360 was very stable connexion wise, but it was slower than others.

- McAfee was overall very good, but I hated that you needed to keep auto-renewal as you otherwise lost the unlimited VPN.

- G Data VPN was not very good, but it's a new product so it might improve over time.

- Avast was decent too (I think they're using Hide My Ass VPN, since they bought it a few years back), but I had some slowdown and connection issues.

Basically, if a VPN is something you will use only occasionally, they all do the job more or less decently. But if having a reliable VPN is a big factor when choosing a security suite, only F-Secure seems to offer what I would call a great VPN. Please keep in mind that I'm not a professional tester and this was only my personal experience. Don't forget to use the free trials of the security suite you plan to buy before making a purchase, that's the best rule to avoid disappointment and the unnecessary hassle of asking for a refund.

transformer69

Level 1
Mar 17, 2023
I understand what you mean. In that case, here's what I've experienced with VPNs from the security suites I tested:

- The best has been hands down F-Secure VPN (part of F-Secure TOTAL). It's the only one that really felt like a serious fully fledge VPN, and they really have put a lot of ressource and effort into it. If I'm not mistaken, F-Secure also have their own servers (or at least it isn't some rebrand of an already existing product). Lastly F-Secure privacy policy is one of the best.

- Bitdefender and Kaspersky were decent and felt kind of similar to some aspects. They both have partnered with Hotspot Shield (unless things have changed since then). However I had some issues with being disconnected after a while.

- Norton 360 was very stable connexion wise, but it was slower than others.

- McAfee was overall very good, but I hated that you needed to keep auto-renewal as you otherwise lost the unlimited VPN.

- G Data VPN was not very good, but it's a new product so it might improve over time.

- Avast was decent too (I think they're using Hide My Ass VPN, since they bought it a few years back), but I had some slowdown and connection issues.

Basically, if a VPN is something you will use only occasionally, they all do the job more or less decently. But if having a reliable VPN is a big factor when choosing a security suite, only F-Secure seems to offer what I would call a great VPN. Please keep in mind that I'm not a professional tester and this was only my personal experience. Don't forget to use the free trials of the security suite you plan to buy before making a purchase, that's the best rule to avoid disappointment and the unnecessary hassle of asking for a refund.

AFAIK, F-secure uses Avira's vpn backend.
Avira operates it's own vpn servers, they're a white label oem for many brands. ( White Label )
Avg, Avast both use HMA backend.
Norton uses SurfEasy backend.
Mcafee uses Tunnel Bear.

Anyone knows what vpn backend Trend Micro and G data use?

WyntechUmbrella

Level 1
Jul 28, 2023
AFAIK, F-secure uses Avira's vpn backend.
Avira operates it's own vpn servers, they're a white label oem for many brands. ( White Label )
Avg, Avast both use HMA backend.
Norton uses SurfEasy backend.
Mcafee uses Tunnel Bear.

Anyone knows what vpn backend Trend Micro and G data use?
I knew F-Secure was using Avira's engine, but I didn't knew they used their VPN backend as well. Same for Norton, I thought it was proprietary. Thanks for educating me on the matter. On a side note, isn't this making F-Secure too much reliant on Avira, a competing product now owned by Norton (GEN Digital) ?

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015
F-Secure Total then, but don't know about your expectation of speed. I can get maximum 450-450Mbps w/ F-Secure Freedome. If you have a 500Mbps or faster connection, their European servers are generally pretty slow; only Finland and the US servers have decent speeds. F-Secure Freedome doesn't offer WireGuard protocol btw. I tested with OpenVPN/UDP.

Useless for Netflix and Paramount+ (US) but reliably unblocks Prime Video and HBO/Max in my experience.

About torrenting:

Last edited:

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
So i want to buy soon a new Security suite , iam using ATM Surfshark ( happy with it ) and still have 2 years on it.

but as a backup VPN and for other Locations i would like to buy a Security suite with a VPN.

So my question is which doesn suck .

Like from Avast , Avira , bitdefender , kaspersky and more most include them "for free" in their premium subs like Avast Ultimate / One.

Would be great if P2P is allowed , maybe streaming servers , and 10 devices ( will also buy a 10 device license atleast )

Iam eying atm with a Avast Ultimate 3 years for 10 devices sub ( includes VPN ) i could get it pretty cheap

but does the AVast VPN utilize the HMA SERVERS ?
they all suck, just get a standalone VPN! I've tried them all, nothing comes close to the speed of hide.me . 1 subscription allows you to connect 10 devices simultaneously and they have a 0 logging policy and servers all across the world. When connected to the VPN, my internet speed is exactly the same as if I was connected without it, meaning there is no impact on speed, provided you connect to the closest server to the country you live in.

Mod Edit: Referral URL removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
they all suck, just get a standalone VPN! I've tried them all, nothing comes close to the speed of ** REMOVED REFERRAL LINK **. 1 subscription allows you to connect 10 devices simultaneously and they have a 0 logging policy and servers all across the world. When connected to the VPN, my internet speed is exactly the same as if I was connected without it, meaning there is no impact on speed, provided you connect to the closest server to the country you live in.
Nice referral Link ... not reading the topic... off topic comment...
and Advertising with referral links ? sounds legit and absolutely not biased /s

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.