Which Browser Are You using...?

Which Browser are you using at the moment.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
They stopped allowing flash on version 45. Inside chrome://flags there is no option to enable or disable flash. Think they warned users about it back on 43. Don't know if there is a way around it. Never looked for one.
You have to use chrome://plugins/ to enable/disable Flash! ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Was the NPAPI version even supported in Chrome?
Yes it was until google introduced their "more secure" flash plugin.
However firefox users on linux have been abandoned by adobe because the flash player is no longer being developed for linux.Flash is currently stuck on version 11.2.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
However firefox users on linux have been abandoned by adobe because the flash player is no longer being developed for linux.Flash is currently stuck on version 11.2.
That's a bummer but a bit understandable since Linux on desktops has such a small marketshare, personally I haven't even noticed that on my Arch installation! :eek:

Amiga500

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
That's a bummer but a bit understandable since Linux on desktops has such a small marketshare, personally I haven't even noticed that on my Arch installation! :eek:
I personally think its a ploy by google to try and force linux users to switch to chrome.
How are you playing flash content on arch..?

Reactions: Enju

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
You have to use chrome://plugins/ to enable/disable Flash! ;)

I know. That what NPAPI was. For whatever reason, Chrome can still play Flash. Says it won't be supported on 45, but still plays flash. I give up on trying to understand companies wording. lol

Was the NPAPI version even supported in Chrome?

This is on Slimjet.

Capture.png

Only difference is, is Slimjet is using 44 which is why the option is still there. On Chrome, it's not there anymore. I assume a replacement was built in because I have no Flash Player installed excluding the one Windows built in for IE and probably Edge.

So Google did replace it something else then? Well as long as I got flash, I don't mind what they did.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
A thread similar to this was what first brought me to Malware Tips!:):)

If there were multiple choices allowed, I'd have checked every one but for Edge as I haven't made the jump:rolleyes: to Windows 10 "light speed" yet.:p
I'm typing from Slimjet x86 installed on Linux lubuntu thanks to the wise counsel of @frogboy! I like Slimjet for it's ability to opt out of Web RTC (seen as a vulnerability in Chrome). It's responsiveness, frequent update patches, & options (among them "Start in Incognito upon opening") is another reason it logs nearly as much browsing time as an-other substitute, but for Firefox, Pale Moon x64, on Windows 8.1. Honorable mention goes to Cyberfox x64.
Firefox does continue it's reign upon all other linux, & esp. our Windows 7 SP 1 ( ..just ask my wife, The Queen!;)).

My vote, more accurately, reflects substitutes for (not one, but..) both Chromium '&' Gecko sourced browsers.

From Gecko, Pale moon will debut a new layout & rendering engine,
Goanna (source: Pale Moon forum • View topic - Introducing: Goanna)

file.php

Goanna logo.
Goanna Logo-a2.png (13.33 KiB) Viewed 10269 times

Goanna is the name for our layout and rendering engine that has become so significantly different from Gecko, that it would be wholly incorrect to continue carrying the name of its sibling. This change, just like Pale Moon, has been a gradual process of development, but is currently at the point where continuing to call it "Gecko" would both be technically and also legally incorrect.
As the name (synonymous to a group of carnivorous lizards in Asia and Australia) and logo suggests, the identification of our implementation is kept as close to its sibling as the code and feature set is (currently, anyway) - meaning it's generally the same class of engine, with broadly the same mechanics at work to parse and render content, but is still significantly different enough to clearly be its own animal (pun intended!
icon_e_smile.gif
).

379EXHD

Used Firefox since about 2004 if i remember right, but the last year or so it just feels cluttered to me. Slimjet feels better to me now and has just what I need with very few extensions . I just deleted a folder full of Firefox bookmark backups so I'm pretty sure I won't be going back.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.