Battle Which Companion Antivirus to pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Aquino

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 11, 2015
I've already tried most of them but I still can't pick one since I don't have the knowledge, time or resources to even test them so I'll just ask the community here what they think. I'm particularly looking for something that is not cloud-dependent (meaning it can still have high detection rate even without the cloud). This lowers Zemana and Crystal Security in my list even though they have the highest detection rate in my observation. If possible, it would also be better if it had real-time protextion. Among the list, correct me if I'm wrong, I think MB, Immunet, Crystal Security, XVirus, and SecureAPlus offer it.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I'm particularly looking for something that is not cloud-dependent (meaning it can still have high detection rate even without the cloud). This lowers Zemana and Crystal Security in my list even though they have the highest detection rate in my observation.
That would also include SecureAPlus, since you're looking for a companion antivirus, you will have to install it without the Offline AV.

If possible, it would also be better if it had real-time protextion. Among the list, correct me if I'm wrong, I think MB, Immunet, Crystal Security, XVirus, and SecureAPlus offer it.
Malwarebytes Premium(paid), Xvirus, Immnunet and SecureAPlus do offer real-time protection. I don't know about Crystal Security since I haven't tried it. There were also discussions from a Zemana employee in Wilders of adding real-time protection but so far it hasn't happened yet.

Based on these conditions, not cloud-dependent and real-time protection, then I would choose Malwarebytes Premium. Of course, that is if you want to pay. If you want something free then Xvirus or Immunet.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Well, best choices are Zemana AM and MBAM as scanners. If you want free anti-malware software install AVAST, Avira, BitDefender Free, Panda Free. Here is little result for other.
Crystal Security: Good Detection but FP
SecureAPlus: Not very good detection i think
Immunet: No comment. Clam-av based anti malware software with very very low detection.
Xvirus: Yes is great but sometimes makes you crazy and FP. But still under develop.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I have both Lifetime license of SAP & ZAM. SO my choice is SAP for App whitelist as it act as companion AV & second option will be ZAM since it sues 6 cloud engines & it's detection rate is high always with less false positive on my system. Also on Malware Hub ZAM proves it's a worthy competitor in on-demand scanners.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
if you are looking a zero cloud based companion AV then your list will reduce to malwarebytes, inmunet, and secureaplus.... inmunet i heard it has bitdefender engine, not sure it is true, however i cant talk about it since i havent tested... as for malwarebytes and secureaplus emmm they are good but since i like complete stuff... i would go with emsisoft, it could be EEK or EAM both can run alongside any AV plus the fact that you would have a complete antimalware solution compared to others..

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
SecureAPlus uses cloud: https://www.google.com/search?q=secureaplus

inmunet i heard it has bitdefender engine,

Immunet uses cloud primarily and optionally ClamAV:
ug1.jpg

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
if you are looking a zero cloud based companion AV then your list will reduce to malwarebytes, inmunet, and secureaplus.... inmunet i heard it has bitdefender engine, not sure it is true, however i cant talk about it since i havent tested... as for malwarebytes and secureaplus emmm they are good but since i like complete stuff... i would go with emsisoft, it could be EEK or EAM both can run alongside any AV plus the fact that you would have a complete antimalware solution compared to others..
Except those that already have the Bitdefender engine.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
i know both uses cloud but inmunet uses bitdefender engine when offline and asecureplus has an offline database...
True. SecureAPlus does have an offline database. But since OP requested a companion AV, it is assumed he would install it without the Offline AV. As such SecureAplus's detection would be entirely cloud-based.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The companion scanners to my realtime AV for years have been Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & Hitman Pro (both non-realtime) the latter of which I'd learned of from a thread here when I'd first arrived.;):p Tonight, I'd rediscovered Zemana Anti-Malware which I've yet to try on for size plus soon I shall add Emsisoft Antimalware to replace Avast! ..albeit only 30 days. I suppose that's why it's called a trial that's free!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.