Advice Request Which DNS Server do you use? /DNS Tunnelling

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which DNS Server(s) do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

One more Secure DNS server to share. It's from Pi Hole

It's IP4 address is 192.168.1.200

I think it's using other Secure DNS providers like Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, Norton ConnectSafe and Comodo Secure DNS

192.168.1.200 is a local IP address. That'll get you nowhere.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
This new DNS server has been all the rage recently
Quad 9 which is run in collaboration with IBM, PCH, Global Cyber Alliance, F-Secure and a few others.
Quad9 | Internet Security & Privacy In a Few Easy Steps

They guarantee privacy, and security, all for free.... yeah right. It does offer DNSSEC and DNS over TLS.
Looking further into the Global Cyber Alliance we will find some interesting members...
DOzAIH4W4AEiglz.jpg

Just be aware who may be funding this...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This new DNS server has been all the rage recently
Quad 9 which is run in collaboration with IBM, PCH, Global Cyber Alliance, F-Secure and a few others.
Quad9 | Internet Security & Privacy In a Few Easy Steps

They guarantee privacy, and security, all for free.... yeah right. It does offer DNSSEC and DNS over TLS.
Looking further into the Global Cyber Alliance we will find some interesting members...
Just be aware who may be funding this...
Privacy and security...with the US Secret Service?

:unsure:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I configured my router for Google DNS, but when I use a VPN connection on my PC, the DNS is provided by my VPN server.

Reactions: given

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I've finally given up on my ISP's and my 3rd party DNS. My ISP would not connect me to the correct CDNs... ridiculous. And 3rd party DNS are something I can't fully trust so I'm running a recursive resolver on my computer now.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I configured my router for Google DNS, but when I use a VPN connection on my PC, the DNS is provided by my VPN server.
You can set any DNS servers you want in your Windows but once you use a VPN the provider's DNS server will override your settings

However, some VPN do allow you to set your own DNS servers

Last edited:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
You can set any DNS servers you want in your Windows but once you use a VPN the provider's DNS server will override your settings

However, some VPN do allow you to set your own DNS servers

I use Google DNS when not connected to my VPN service, which doesn't offer any DNS options.

I was just commenting that when I connect to my VPN provider it overrides my local DNS choice, which is normally Google DNS.

You can set your DNS choice either in the Windows client, or your router. I personally prefer using the router settings, so that way all my clients only need to look to my router for DNS, and it only needs to be set correctly in one place. Some of my clients access the VPN, while others do not. Of course, when you tunnel through VPN, all of your local settings are bypassed, so you become dependent on your VPN client, or VPN service for the DNS configuration at that point.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Reactions: Andytay70
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

More info on DNS servers

20 Best Alternative DNS servers [2017]

Apparently, many of them do log

Most/Many have logging of some type. To be honest, logging DNS is a bigger problem than people think. Once again, setup a Pi-Hole then you can see the intrusive logging and what it can accomplish. Essentially a full profile of your network, security, programs, and even some vulnerabilities can be gathered from DNS logging.

The problem is, most non-logging, very private DNS have poor pings for me. The sweetspot for DNS is to get your pings to their servers under 50. Anything higher and you will notice some page load latency which can be frustrating. Virtually all of the private ones are 100-175ms for me rendering them useless.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.