Advice Request Which DNS Server do you use? /DNS Tunnelling

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which DNS Server(s) do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

FortiGuard DNS no longer supports ANY filtration (Malware/Spam/Ads/Phish) for free. The DNS without a licensed Fortigate is just a normal DNS, with a licensed forgate on the gateway IP it activates not only the above, but also SNI based Web Filtration.

So I do not recommend FortiGuard DNS as a free option unless you are just looking for a secured, corporate focused DNS with high reliability.

Pi-Hole is by far the best option for everyone anyway.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Pi-Hole is designed to be run in a VM or on a Raspberry Pi, it's not designed to run on a Windows PC, it's a DNS server on your network, not an endpoint DNS server.

I am looking in the Pi-hole direction, what DNS do you point your Pi-hole to, your provider, openDNS or any other "open" DNS services?

/W

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Forsaked

Level 1
Verified
Sep 14, 2017
@TairikuOkami

This "random Guy" offers his DNS service since 2009 under the name CensurfriDNS, which many people used for years without any problems.
Im going away from DNS.Watch since they had 2 outages in the last 3 month without any explanation and they don't update their social media or blog anymore.
While this "random Guy" is active and answers questions.
If DNS.Watch upgrades to DNS over TLS and take their service more serious im would switch back.

Since i have my own local DNS Resolver and Cache, most of the time his DNS won't even get used, since pfBlockerNG with Unbound send their request to the 13 root DNS servers anyway.

Reactions: conceptualclarity
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.