Paul.R

Level 11
Verified
Use network connection (from what i remember they don't need a firewall) and bloaka as adblocker(it's free) or even better adguard.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 46
Verified
Content Creator
Use network connection (from what i remember they don't need a firewall) and bloaka as adblocker(it's free) or even better adguard.

It only monitors and doesn't block connections like a firewall.

HarborFront

Level 46
Verified
Content Creator
Hi,

Of the Android firewalls I have looked into, all seem to require setting up a fake vpn. And when you switch over to turn on the vpn, it disables the firewall's fake vpn. Which one is more important to you - vpn or firewall ?
It depends on your usage. I paid for the VPN and has it always-connected.

I use Blokada only when watching online movies to block in-movie ads

I prefer firewall, because it blocks traffic coming inbound. Anyone can connect to any app and send over exploits without a firewall. VPNs encrypts traffic, but doesn't block unsolicited traffic inbound. I am not sure if a vpn checks if incoming traffic only originates from it's servers.

HarborFront

Level 46
Verified
Content Creator
I prefer firewall, because it blocks traffic coming inbound. Anyone can connect to any app and send over exploits without a firewall. VPNs encrypts traffic, but doesn't block unsolicited traffic inbound. I am not sure if a vpn checks if incoming traffic only originates from it's servers.
On the other hand more VPNs are being industry-audited nowadays

Last edited:
Reactions: dinosaur07

Allego

Level 2
I use both. I use Netguard (firewall) whenever I connect to public wifi that requires sign in. Then after that, I'll use the VPN.

Reactions: SpratAttack

AriDfoix

Level 3
all seem to require setting up a fake vpn

Take a look at this, in theory, you could use it alongside a real VPN, or an adblocking solution like Blokada.

Regards,
:)

Unfortunately it is an Android limitation to allow only one VPN at a time :eek:

even better adguard.
Sure, under the battery saving I agree, about the filtering capabilities is quite limited to the fact to don't allow creating custom rules, I follow Blokada real closely.

carsten ibsen

Level 22
Verified
Hello, I prefer a good VPN-Service, I also have Secureline VPN both on my Windows 10 Home & on my iPhone 7 Plus(the app Avast Security where the VPN is included), I also have SurfEasy Ultra Subscription which is operational on all my Devices. :)

Reactions: AriDfoix